Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-04-2009, 01:15 AM   #1
anurag
Addict
anurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 1 and DX, iPhone
NYT: Big screen Kindle could arrive this week

From http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/04/te...eader.html?hpw

Quote:
As early as this week, according to people briefed on the online retailer’s plans, Amazon will introduce a larger version of its Kindle wireless device tailored for displaying newspapers, magazines and perhaps textbooks.

An Amazon spokesman would not comment, but some news organizations, including The New York Times, are expected to be involved in the introduction of the device, according to people briefed on the plans. A spokeswoman for The Times, Catherine J. Mathis, said she could not comment on the company’s relationship with Amazon.
Update: CrunchGear reports: Amazon Kindle press conference on May 6

Update 2: Our colleagues over at Engadget posted something that looks like leaked photos of the so-called Kindle DX. Check them out and decide for yourself: real or fake?

Moderator's note: Thanks to everyone who has sent us in the news!
anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 01:31 AM   #2
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
This is pretty interesting if true, I'd love to see a touch screen at about the same size as an open paperbook is. Not sure on exactly what size that is, maybe 12" and touchscreen. Story also appeared in endgadet and they have a few of the surrounding rumours and comments: http://www.engadget.com/2009/04/10/i...screen-kindle/
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 02:12 AM   #3
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
I would be supprised, but the NYT called it last time too if i remember
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 02:18 AM   #4
Jill75
Zealot
Jill75 doesn't litterJill75 doesn't litter

Device: none
wow 12" screen. That's pretty large enough. Kind of bulky for me to carry around. I'm wondering how wide the screen will be since its not stated how big it is.
Jill75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 04:09 AM   #5
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
I would be inclined to trust the NY Times.

Plus, they may well be a partner of some sorts, and if so, it would make sense that they are privy to information not available to others.

"This week" is here, so we'll know soon enough.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 06:44 AM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Remember, it's not size that matters. (I heard that from somewhere.)

Amazon should concentrate on other issues, such as DRM-related issues and "control" issues. (Does anyone remember Radio Shack's Tandy computer series? Also: What would have happened if Apple had licensed its proprietary software back before Windows had existed?)

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 05-04-2009 at 07:22 AM. Reason: removed a comma
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 07:00 AM   #7
mobelby
Zealot
mobelby doesn't littermobelby doesn't littermobelby doesn't litter

Device: eeepc 901
Looks like it's happening.
Amazon has announced the press conference for the launch:
http://www.engadget.com/2009/05/04/a...then-new-kind/

Last edited by mobelby; 05-04-2009 at 07:15 AM.
mobelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 07:05 AM   #8
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
You know what Amazon does at press events? It launches new Kindles!
Love that one

We'll see on Wednesday, I think...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:21 AM   #9
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
(Does anyone remember Radio Shack's Tandy computer series? Also: What would have happened if Apple had licensed its proprietary software back before Windows had existed?)
Sadly, Don, I remember both. In fact, the first computer I had bought for my children was a Tandy. I stupidly thought that Radio Shack would be a survivor in the computer wars.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:41 AM   #10
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
More links:

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/...ay_2009_5.html
http://gizmodo.com/5238916/confirmed...ed-for-may-6th
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:49 AM   #11
forkyfork
Zealot
forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: It's a long story ;)
I just purchased a Kindle 2 very recently. As in.. I"m still within my 30-day return policy.

I'm trying to decide what to do. If they announce in Wednesday, does that mean it will be available Wednesday too?
forkyfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:10 AM   #12
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
In my crystal ball, I see... every country bar the United States missing out. As usual.
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:23 AM   #13
kesey
Enthusiast
kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
In my crystal ball, I see... every country bar the United States missing out. As usual.
"If Winter comes, can Spring be far behind?"

If Kindle are ready to distribute a new large format device, Sony et al will be doing the same very soon afterward - it's either that or throw in the towel. Those of us not in Le Pays d'Obama will have to make do with makes other than Kindle, no doubt at a wonderfully inflated price.

I want one now!
kesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:42 AM   #14
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by forkyfork View Post
I just purchased a Kindle 2 very recently. As in.. I"m still within my 30-day return policy.

I'm trying to decide what to do. If they announce in Wednesday, does that mean it will be available Wednesday too?
I don't know the answer to your question, but if you're still within your 30 days return policy, then just wait untill wednesday, and then decide..
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:43 AM   #15
tirsales
MIA ... but returning som
tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505 and *Really* not owning a PRS-700
There is a (short) German article at Heise.
Oh and I really want this device - but not from Amazon and freely available in Europe.
tirsales is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
formats, kindle, pdf