Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-02-2010, 04:08 AM   #1
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
ePub vs Mobi, I don't get it

Sorry if this has been thoroughly debated before. If that is the case, kindly ignore.

I see a lot of hard core positions on content format. Seems as an eRader user I have to be either pro or con. Well, I'm just indifferent. I simply don't get it.

It reminds me of the old PC vs. Mac camps. Is it inherent in new technology that it requires a theological dimension?

As a Kindle owner I have been deeply involved in all the threads about shipping woes. I noted today that Sony has announced new models. Great. More competition, more choices. And immediately there are all these posters lamenting lack of support for either format. One writes "if I didn't have xxx number of ePubs I would get a Kindle, I know I can convert them in Calibre, but it takes too long" and there are several posts along this line. While Kindle owners lament the inability to borrow from e-Libraries because the have all their books in ePub format.

For some reason I can't get annoyed at either Sony or Amazon, but I can see being annoyed at the vendor/provider who doesn't offer books in both formats. And why be tied up by the books you already have, isn't it more important to focus on the books you have yet to read? The new content you will get your grubby little hands to click on from now on and forward into the future?

I guess I might be an heretic, but then again religion has never done anything for me.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 04:09 AM   #2
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
I'm sticking to mobi so I can use my dictionaries/thesaurus when I need to.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2010, 04:15 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
For some reason I can't get annoyed at either Sony or Amazon, but I can see being annoyed at the vendor/provider who doesn't offer books in both formats.
The overwhelming majority of books are available in both formats.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 04:21 AM   #4
captkjaneway
Cockney Sci-Fi Geek!
captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Tab S 8.4", Samsung S6 Edge
To be honest isn't it true of any emerging/establishing technology that there will always be 2 main formats that seem to fight til the death.....VHS v Betamax, HDDVD v BluRay. With the wealth of options available to convert books/documents if it is not obtainable in your chosen format I don't really see the ire.

I chose a Kindle, knowing full well that to some extent I was tying myself to a particular party, but also being aware of the options to make it work for my needs.

Think of the poor blighters that bought dozens of betamax videos or HDDVD discs.......at least we can adapt
captkjaneway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 04:49 AM   #5
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
As a publisher I'm offering both formats for years. And since both formats are based on the same html file, it is merely a matter of some minutes to alter the "ePub-html" file to fit the needs of a "Mobi-html" file.

The limitations often is a matter of the shop software used.
It simply is easier to offer but one format. One file linked to one eBook, to one customer's account, one DRM scheme to be taken care of (and most shops use some kind of DRM method).
Usually the smaller the vendor the more formats offered - down to authors who sometimes offer formats which usually are outdated by now, but still sought after by readers.

Amazon bought Mobipocket back in 2005. ePub was developed in 2007.
In 2005 Mobi/prc was very well established and (next to PDF) the cross-platform format. I don't know if Amazon would have made the very same deal in 2007 or rather just have waited for ePub to establish.
So, Amazon invested quite a lot of money. Too much money to drop Mobi and switch to ePub. And why should they? The success of the Kindle proves Amazon right.

But the ball is in Amazon's court. It could just drop the exclusivity licence and allow manufacturers to integrate a DRM Mobi next to a DRM ePub. Would make everybody's life a whole lot more easier.
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2010, 05:50 AM   #6
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Thom View Post
As a publisher I'm offering both formats for years. And since both formats are based on the same html file, it is merely a matter of some minutes to alter the "ePub-html" file to fit the needs of a "Mobi-html" file.

The limitations often is a matter of the shop software used.
It simply is easier to offer but one format. One file linked to one eBook, to one customer's account, one DRM scheme to be taken care of (and most shops use some kind of DRM method).
Usually the smaller the vendor the more formats offered - down to authors who sometimes offer formats which usually are outdated by now, but still sought after by readers.

In 2005 Mobi/prc was very well established and (next to PDF) the cross-platform format. I don't know if Amazon would have made the very same deal in 2007 or rather just have waited for ePub to establish.
So, Amazon invested quite a lot of money. Too much money to drop Mobi and switch to ePub. And why should they? The success of the Kindle proves Amazon right.

But the ball is in Amazon's court. It could just drop the exclusivity licence and allow manufacturers to integrate a DRM Mobi next to a DRM ePub. Would make everybody's life a whole lot more easier.

Not if DRM remains .
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:23 AM   #7
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
Call me the odd man out, I prefer *.RTF
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:39 AM   #8
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
I see a lot of hard core positions on content format. Seems as an eRader user I have to be either pro or con. Well, I'm just indifferent. I simply don't get it.
Don't sweat it; all it means you're a normal, rational, *mainstream* consumer who doesn't get all worked up over what one giant corporation does to another.

The format/platform wars are a side effect of life on the bleeding edge of technology; when you're an early adopter of new tech you are making a statement of your intelligence, wisdom, daring, and (of course) good looks. So obviously, everybody must agree with your choices and your values, unless they are brain-dead zombies lumbering slack-jawed and drooling through life. It's hard being a leader without followers.

Or, you could say that people are subconsciously afraid they might have zigged when they should have zagged. That they may have chosen Beta instead of VHS. So they seek validation in evangelism and debate instead of enjoying their toy and reading a good story.

Me, I rather favor the first explanation, though.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:44 AM   #9
Tom Wood
oddly human
Tom Wood is kind to children and small, furry animalsTom Wood is kind to children and small, furry animalsTom Wood is kind to children and small, furry animalsTom Wood is kind to children and small, furry animalsTom Wood is kind to children and small, furry animalsTom Wood is kind to children and small, furry animalsTom Wood is kind to children and small, furry animalsTom Wood is kind to children and small, furry animalsTom Wood is kind to children and small, furry animalsTom Wood is kind to children and small, furry animalsTom Wood is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Thom View Post

This supports recent comments by Amazon where they said they didn't want to have to wait for advances in a third party format before they could improve their own platform. Seeing how they've been able to jump so far ahead of everyone else for market share, can't blame them.
Tom Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:54 AM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wood View Post
This supports recent comments by Amazon where they said they didn't want to have to wait for advances in a third party format before they could improve their own platform. Seeing how they've been able to jump so far ahead of everyone else for market share, can't blame them.
Just to note: Neither the MOBI nor the EPUB formats have evolved significantly for the last two years. IIRC, the only significant changes that Amazon made to MOBI after acquiring Mobipocket was DRM changes and support for indexing.

And EPUB is technically far superior to MOBI. MOBI is fundamentally a 15 year old format (based on HTML 3.2).

The only possible reason Amazon can have to stick with MOBI is wet dreams about monopolies.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:27 AM   #11
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
...wet dreams about monopolies.
Love it! "It's funny because it's true." (Homer Simpson)
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:34 AM   #12
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
As an end-user, non-programmer and non-publisher, I don't see any substantial difference due to format. If there is some "technical" advantage to epub, I'm not seeing it as even remotely relevant to my decisions as a consumer.

Sony, in the midst of sliding into irrelevance, switched to ePub and in theory this allows for a more open platform. This might be good for Sony users but it doesn't seem to have provided much, if any, tangible results for Sony.

As to MOBI, Amazon's ebooks are available on almost any platform that can support Whispernet; for better and for worse, they have zero interest in selling you an ebook that isn't hooked into their database(s). And yes, shock and gasp, they really want you to buy their ebooks instead of buying them from Apple or B&N. As such, unless Sony or B&N decides to implement Amazon's ebook protocols, switching to ePub would not produce the results you'd necessarily expect.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:53 AM   #13
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Just to note: Neither the MOBI nor the EPUB formats have evolved significantly for the last two years. IIRC, the only significant changes that Amazon made to MOBI after acquiring Mobipocket was DRM changes and support for indexing.

And EPUB is technically far superior to MOBI. MOBI is fundamentally a 15 year old format (based on HTML 3.2).

The only possible reason Amazon can have to stick with MOBI is wet dreams about monopolies.
I suppose if the publishers ever get with it, they should be dictating whichever format is easiest (or most robust) for their epublishing needs. Isn't this how the Bluray/HD-DVD war was fought, with movie studios deciding which format to release in?
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:59 AM   #14
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
As to MOBI, Amazon's ebooks are available on almost any platform that can support Whispernet; for better and for worse, they have zero interest in selling you an ebook that isn't hooked into their database(s). And yes, shock and gasp, they really want you to buy their ebooks instead of buying them from Apple or B&N. As such, unless Sony or B&N decides to implement Amazon's ebook protocols, switching to ePub would not produce the results you'd necessarily expect.
Correct.
Amazon has stated that they will license the Kindle DRM but *only* if the licensee supports Whispernet. Which renders Adobe's Adept servers redundant.
If whispernet is non-negotiable it follows that Amazon supporting whispernet means a *fourth* DRM-flavor for ePub.
Not something most people want to see.

Me, I'd love it; I want DRM to become such a humongous mess publishers finally wise up and dump it. With three incompatible flavors on ePub we're off to a good start.

And Amazon "monopoly dreams"? They're not looking to *establish* domination of book retailing; they're looking to *maintain* it. That ship has already sailed; long before Kindle was introduced. All they're doing is converting their *existing* pbook customers to ebook customers. And that is why mainstream kindle buyers don't care about lock-in; they were already buying their books from Amazon to start with.

And that is why Nook hit the ground running and has already become a solid number two in less than a year. And funny how nobody gripes about B&N's exclusive DRM, huh?

The reality, though, is the mainstream consumers don't *care* about formats or drm or technical features. They want to buy a book and read it. Many (most?) don't even care about resale rights or lending or libraries. They want a cheap read and that's it.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:10 AM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
As an end-user, non-programmer and non-publisher, I don't see any substantial difference due to format. If there is some "technical" advantage to epub, I'm not seeing it as even remotely relevant to my decisions as a consumer.
Simple examples of differences that even an end user can appreciate:

In MOBI it's impossible to have text and images side by side.

In MOBI you cannot embed fonts which means it is completely unsuitable for mathematical/foreign language publications

In MOBI you cannot format poetry

In MOBI you cannot have multi-level Tables of Contents

In MOBI you cannot have images that look the same at all resolutions (scalable/vector images)

In MOBI it is impossible to have semantic content, which means for example that you cannot re-use the insert book jacket feature in calibre to convert metadata into a book jacket.

And that is just the tip of the iceberg.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote