Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-26-2013, 12:53 PM   #16
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by theonna View Post
I agree with you, Nook is not made to be a tablet, nor is it good at tablet apps. But after you root it, you can install reading applications on it- Kindle- and read drm purchased Kindle books, Kobo app for android, and read your purchased Kobo books, Sony reader app and Sony purchased drm books, and a few other android applications that could let you read different formats and provide different or better management for notes, links, references and such. File management versus search function, I am all for good search, but if you like me, reading books in different languages, you wont be able to search for them at all, file manager is the quickest way to conveniently access your content, all while reader manufacturers lagging at adding more languages...
I never could get the Kobo app to run on the rooted Nook. The Kindle app took locating an older version as an APK and even then crashed every hour or so. The only Sony DRM books I've run into use the standard Adobe ADEPT DRM so no need for a Sony app to open them, I don't have an BBeB books and saw little reason to obtaining any. The eInk speed up hack was fun though, in my personal opinion, it did little to make ebooks more readable and web pages were still far too slow to be really usable.

Regards,
David
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 01:50 PM   #17
theonna
One
theonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melon

Device: Sony, Kindle,Pocketbook, Nook...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I never could get the Kobo app to run on the rooted Nook. The Kindle app took locating an older version as an APK and even then crashed every hour or so. The only Sony DRM books I've run into use the standard Adobe ADEPT DRM so no need for a Sony app to open them, I don't have an BBeB books and saw little reason to obtaining any. The eInk speed up hack was fun though, in my personal opinion, it did little to make ebooks more readable and web pages were still far too slow to be really usable.

Regards,
David
I guess it all depends on the app versions. I had a Nook doing Kindle, Sony and Kobo just fine, but this is just to show that it can. I still maintain that the worse feature of Kobo readers is their extremely slow indexing of content, poorly implemented bookshelves and lack of file browser. I've had many readers(click my signature), and Kobo is the slowest at indexing, the worse at updating it, if you delete your books using your computer, it often forgets that you deleted anything at all... It is not the hardware that is lacking for Kobo, it is software.
theonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2013, 07:10 AM   #18
krischik
Addict
krischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheese

Device: P990i, PRS 505
Thumbs up Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The only content that the Kobo desktop application will show is content downloaded from the Kobo store.
Thanks. Saves me some space on the hard drive. De-Install ASAP.

Martin
krischik is offline   Reply With Quote