Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-03-2013, 06:16 AM   #1
Filmbrain
Connoisseur
Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Question 2.9.x for Aura HD -- Any ETA?

It's now October and 2.9.x still isn't available for the Aura HD (or is it?) -- at least my device hasn't upgraded.

As a heavy Pocket user, I'm quite anxious to get it -- any idea when they will release it for the HD? I thought it was meant to be rolled out in September...
Filmbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:32 AM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmbrain View Post
It's now October and 2.9.x still isn't available for the Aura HD (or is it?) -- at least my device hasn't upgraded.

As a heavy Pocket user, I'm quite anxious to get it -- any idea when they will release it for the HD? I thought it was meant to be rolled out in September...
2.9.0 was released for the Aura (not the Aura HD). I sideloaded the 2.9.0 firmware on my Aura HD and the Pocket integration seems to work. This is not a recommended action, more me satisfying my curiosity.

Some comments about the current beta seem to indicate that Kobo may be getting close to a 2.9.x release for the Aura HD/Glo but no comments about any release date.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2013, 12:55 PM   #3
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
Sounds like poor Mini & Touch will be left out in the cold. But I really am happy to hear both AuraHD and Glo will be updated.

Is there something particular that limits Kobo from rolling out 2.9.0 to all of it's devices? Processor speed, perhaps?
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 01:57 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nihilism View Post
Sounds like poor Mini & Touch will be left out in the cold. But I really am happy to hear both AuraHD and Glo will be updated.

Is there something particular that limits Kobo from rolling out 2.9.0 to all of it's devices? Processor speed, perhaps?
When the Aura HD came out and updated to the new GUI, Kobo later added that interface to the Glo but not to the Mini or Touch.

In the last few days, Kobo has released a new update for the Mini and Touch with version 2.6.2.

I'm not sure if it is processor speed so much as screen real estate. While the Touch and Mini have 800MHz processors compared to the Glo/Aura/Aura HD with their 1GHz processors, I suspect the real problem is the Mini/Touch have a lower screen resolution which would not work well with the new GUI.

Regards,
David
Old 10-03-2013, 05:08 PM   #5
Filmbrain
Connoisseur
Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Good to know that Pocket integration works -- really looking forward to it.

Thanks for the update.
Filmbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2013, 08:00 PM   #6
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Air 2, , Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2Ov1, Kobo Mini
Yes..I sync my Glo everyday in the hopes that the update will come through. I enjoy Pocket very much and having it sync to the Glo is a wonderful upgrade.

Penny
mystika1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:51 AM   #7
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nihilism View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I'm not sure if it is processor speed so much as screen real estate. While the Touch and Mini have 800MHz processors compared to the Glo/Aura/Aura HD with their 1GHz processors, I suspect the real problem is the Mini/Touch have a lower screen resolution which would not work well with the new GUI.
I was wondering the same thing. It would be nice to be able to access Pocket from whatever device so I hope in time the Pocket integration will come to the Mini and Touch (no need for the new GUI).
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 02:58 AM   #8
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Okay, dumb question:

What's Pocket?

(Ha. Sometimes asking the quesion works the magic. Hadn't found it through searches before, but ask a dumb question here and look what I immediately find:
http://getpocket.com/blog/2013/08/po...-kobo-devices/ )

Last edited by MacEachaidh; 10-06-2013 at 03:01 AM.
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:27 AM   #9
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Still no news regarding the 2.9.x update?
Well, it's not as if we used to get news before the release of a new firmware. However, I hope it's getting closer
Old 10-15-2013, 07:26 AM   #10
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
The most recent beta, 2.9.4, was not ready for prime time. I'm actually glad that they are taking time with this one--that no external deadlines have, so far, resulted in a premature FW release.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:01 AM   #11
Joques
Addict
Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Device: Kobo Glo
Thank you for the heads up, Taming. I am sitting on pins and needles, waiting for this FW :-)
Joques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:07 AM   #12
samhy
Wizard

Same as Joques. Thanks taming.
Old 10-15-2013, 02:08 PM   #13
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
As I was very interested in using Pocket I have, as has DNSB, also sideloaded the 2.9.0 to my Aura HD thinking it would be better than it just sitting around. It worked perfectly well and I have been using it for a week now without any problems, as a matter of fact I am now starting to enjoy my Aura HD for the first time.
To be fair, I need to add that I patched it with the unofficial 2.9.0 patch and also that I am not buying any kobo books so I am using it with my own documents in PDF as well as books I bought elsewhere.

Could Kobo be delaying the new update so long to ensure that the New Aura is the only one with a Pocket connection right now and thus ensuring the launch sales figures are as high as they can be ?

Last edited by aceflor; 10-15-2013 at 02:14 PM.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:19 PM   #14
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Mmmm, interesting. Has anyone been brave enough to pull the trigger sideloading 2.9 onto their Glo?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:21 PM   #15
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Mmmm, interesting. Has anyone been brave enough to pull the trigger sideloading 2.9 onto their Glo?
Yes. It worked using the KoboRoot.tgz file only.

Regards,
David