Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-20-2011, 09:11 PM   #1
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Nook Tablet Locked Down!

Nook Tablet Lockdown

"Nook Tablet update closes sideloading loophole, lacks holiday spirit"
By Chris Barylick posted Dec 20th 2011 4:11PM, Engadget

"Remember all that extra functionality your Nook Tablet used to have? Well, that's what memories are there for. The recently-released Nook 1.4.1 firmware update apparently prevents the Nook Tablet from installing Android apps from non-Barnes & Noble sources... "

http://www.engadget.com/2011/12/20/n...ks-holiday-sp/
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:19 PM   #2
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Tsk. Really do not understand B&N. They must know that a huge portion of their Nook Color sales came from micro-hackers (like myself!), but they've locked down the sequel so tight that I'm sure it will affect sales.

When someone gets CM7 running on it, I'll buy one, but never before.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2011, 10:06 PM   #3
bbqncigars
PDA dino
bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, Rooted NC, Voyages(2)
I totally agree. My rooted NC is flexible and user friendly enough that I would be loth to part with it. The Tablet's better hardware are a temptation brutally offset by B&N's shortsighted shackling. I too, will wait for the great unlocking before considering a Tablet.
bbqncigars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:10 PM   #4
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
When someone gets CM7 running on it, I'll buy one, but never before.
I'm usually not religious... But, Amen.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:10 PM   #5
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I was considering getting one, but not until they change this.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2011, 10:28 PM   #6
Nexutix
Reading and reading
Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Infibeam Pi, iPod Touch 4G, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, Oneplus One
Was about to checkout NC. Halted! Thanks MR!
Nexutix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:01 PM   #7
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
They are not about selling tablets, they want to sell apps and books after you purchase the tablet. Amazon has the same plan.
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:09 PM   #8
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Yeah, if they are losing money on each tablet (and I believe they are), it doesn't really make sense for them to let people root it.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:13 PM   #9
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
Yeah, if they are losing money on each tablet (and I believe they are), it doesn't really make sense for them to let people root it.
No? I bought/buy from the B&N store out of loyalty, and because I'm part of the ecosystem despite being a micro-hacker. (We were a "Nook Family", at least until I got a divorce and married my Sony Reader instead. But I still buy from the store.) And my Husband dual-boots his NC -- B&N stock for the reader, CM7 for everything else.

For every micro-hacker sucked into Amazon's ecosystem, they lose. Not my problem, though.

(For the record, I do not believe B&N or Amazon loses money on their tablets.)

Last edited by anamardoll; 12-20-2011 at 11:15 PM.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:29 PM   #10
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Nobody should be surprised, this was an oversight in the initial release and it was a given that it would be patched.

If you want to sideload, you can revert to 1.4.0 as per the XDA instructions. I reckon people complaining about this are a minority; I would think that most people buy the device for what it is, not for what they can change it into. MR readers sort of skew that, as I would say people who visit this site are a bit more tech savvy.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 05:43 AM   #11
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
B&N is doomed due to their own stupidity.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 06:07 AM   #12
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
LOL, so now instead of losing money from not being able to sell apps they will lose money from not being able to sell the tablets. Brilliant strategy that!

Quote:
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 06:22 AM   #13
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
On the other hand they might want to provide a great selection of media the consumer wants at reasonable prices and availability. Imagine that!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 02:03 PM   #14
sippie2
sippie2 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sippie2 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sippie2 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sippie2 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sippie2 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sippie2 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sippie2 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sippie2 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sippie2 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sippie2 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sippie2 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Sony PRS 600
I got a BN color nook ereader about 3 weeks ago. I then purchased a Nook2Android card. It works great, I have the flexabililty to stay with the BN side or boot to the android side, which means I can also have my kindle books on the same device as my nook books. I had considered the BN color tablet until I found out that they probably would lock it down.
sippie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 06:23 PM   #15
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
One of the comments from Engadget says that this lock down was "unintended" and a minor update would be released in a few days. He claims to have spoken with B&N.
True or not is anybody's guess.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote