Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-02-2011, 11:55 PM   #1
ArmadilloPilot
Enthusiast
ArmadilloPilot began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Verse Pro
Additional Memory?

I wonder how many reader owners have found the need to to have additional memory modules for their reade?. I have noticed that epub files are really pretty small, so that I would have many books loaded in my reader memory before needing to install an SD or memory stick card. Plus, I would think that we could always store extra books off the reader - on the computer for instance.

Just another newbie question. How much memory do I need to install?
ArmadilloPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:23 AM   #2
vulcan_girl
Groupie
vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 350
I have just over 600 books on my reader and have only used 1/3 of the internal memory. I can't say that I won't ever use a card, but I don't see the need at this time.

Last edited by vulcan_girl; 03-03-2011 at 01:24 AM. Reason: clarification
vulcan_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2011, 02:39 AM   #3
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
Unless you carry entire libraries (like say 16k from guttenberg project) or are into manga/comics, internal memory will be more than enough.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 03:29 AM   #4
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
I can see cards/stick would be handy for collections on specific subjects, saving searching etc..
And can you use someone else's card in your reader ? That would be good.

And, although I don't have enough content yet to notice, does a lot of books = slow ereader ?
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 07:22 AM   #5
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
A card is useful for audio files.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2011, 11:08 AM   #6
Gadgetguy
Connoisseur
Gadgetguy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
I have a collection of several thousand ebooks ( 10 GB+) and I keep them only on memory card. And I use two cards - one card for science fiction, the other for the rest. My main memory is empty.

When I copy books over I find it easier just to use an SD card reader to copy them, instead of plugging the ereader in via usb.

To manage the files I use folders (with PRS+)
Gadgetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 11:09 AM   #7
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I like the idea of using memory cards for collections but I haven't needed to go beyond the built-in memory myself. My e-book library is kept on a desktop hard drive and no more than 20 or 30 e-books are kept on my e-reader at a time. I tend to read and delete down to 10 or less before "reloading" my PRS-650.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:06 PM   #8
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
I like having a backup card just in case I'm on vacation and for whatever reason I have to do a hard reset, which deletes all content on my reader. If you have a card backup, you can just pop your card in and pick up where you left off. I shudder at the thought of being bookless on vacation!
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:08 PM   #9
elizilla
Addict
elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 650, Sony PRS 350
Oh wow, I hadn't thought of that! I do own some cards. Before my next trip I'll make sure to put my books on them, to carry as a backup! Because you are right, I would hate to be bookless on vacation.
elizilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:09 PM   #10
KNI
Connoisseur
KNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Sony PRS-650
SD Cards are cheap these days, especially if you can find a 1 or 2 gig card. In my case, I upgraded my digital camera to an 8 gig card which I bought on sale for US $15, took the 4 gig card out of the camera, saved the images on it, then reformatted it and stuck in my PRS-650. Since I did that I have been loading all books to the SD card, with zero issues or problems using Calibre.

No real solid reason for doing this except for a feeling that the less that is in the main memory the faster the reader will go. And honestly I have no idea if this is a valid and provable argument. But I am very happy with the way that everything works.

Cheers

KNI
KNI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 01:58 AM   #11
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
Although, using a memory will drain the battery faster.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:16 AM   #12
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Having talked meself into realising this would be a good idea (!) , how do I transfer some/all onto a card please ?
( Not the world's foremost tech, incidentally - You'd never know, would you........)

And, incidentally, can a stick be used? It would presumably go in the cable feed slot ?

Card's probably easier........
As if I knew.....
Old 03-04-2011, 01:40 PM   #13
KNI
Connoisseur
KNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the endKNI knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Sony PRS-650
carpetmojo - I don't know that you can transfer files inside the reader but what is pretty easy to do is load files from Calibre straight into the card. When the reader is attached to the computer, recent versions of Calibre then show an icon to upload to the reader. Immediately to the right of that is a small vertical rectangle. Right click on that and it allows you to load the highlighted book to the main memory, the memory stick or the SD card. So you just load to the card. The reader processes it quickly and then you are all set.
KNI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 02:02 PM   #14
carpetmojo
Wizard

Thanks KNI - have a bash at that over the weekend.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:46 PM   #15
ctcntera2
ctcntera2 began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-650
I use my SD card for quickly putting PDFs onto my ereader rather than plugging it in.
That's mostly for recipes, driving directions, flight info, etc. It's quite handy for recipes, I must say!

It's just easier to save those off onto the SD card on my computer and then just stick it into my 650. I find that it works best that I make sure that there are no headers or footers saved in the PDFs if I'm using the "print to PDF" option... otherwise things might not display very well.
ctcntera2 is offline   Reply With Quote