Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-07-2011, 08:46 PM   #16
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
Buy the paper back

Lee
I vote for don't buy the book at all, and let the author and publisher know why.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:44 PM   #17
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
The whole thing seems to be chaos at the moment. I remember reading the blog of one author who patiently described that the higher pricing on a hardcover than paperback had little to do with production costs and everything to do with release timing - you pay a premium to be able to read the book just after release etc...

With this he argued that if the ebook was released at the same time as the hardcover, we should expect the ePrice to be similar to (or even the same as) the hardcover price.

If you're content to wait for a year and get the paperback, you can also pay less it seems.

However, with the book in question that would mean that the ePrice should be at least the same as the paperback given the timing of the release - so in this example we see something quite different.

If you're prepared to wait this long for "Lost in a Good Book" in electronic format you would think you'd be rewarded with a cheaper price.

And that's why I don't listen to the calm words of authors or anyone else explain why ePrices should be the same when the examples quite often don't really match up with the explanation.

I think the best explanation of ePrices is that publishers will charge what serves their purposes. Whether that is to scare people away from the electronic back into more traditional media, or to maximise profit on a media they think they will suffer from due to piracy I really couldn't say.

For myself, I will pay what I'm prepared to. I bought "The Windup Girl" at $14.95 because I could not bear not to have that ebook in my possession. It's the only ebook I've bought at that price and I'm unlikely to apply the same desperation to many other authors. So in the case of that one example, the tactic to "overcharge" for that book worked - at least for me. Will the gamble work across the board? I guess only time will tell.

Regards
Caleb
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2011, 10:50 PM   #18
Russell Brooks
Fanatic
Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
This is a classic case of price gauging. When it comes to ebooks, publishers don't have to pay for shipping, shelf space in bookstores, nor do they have to worry about returns (from bookstores). But publishers don't want consumers to think about that and accept these high-priced ebooks as the norm. If Jasper Ford knew what was best for him he'd leave the publisher and self-publish his book. He'd make much more money.
Russell Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:29 PM   #19
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekidsmom View Post
IMO, a 'fair' price for an ebook is at least 25% less than the paperback. Whether that makes financial sense or not to the parties involved, I have no idea. It just makes sense to me that without an actual printed product, the production cost for my version (ebook) is less expensive to produce, and therefore cheaper to buy.
If that is the common consensus, then there is no market for ebooks. If a publisher honestly believes (especially if they're correct) that they will make less money (and you're talking quite a bit less) from ebooks, or even loose money on them, compared to paper books, it would be literally criminal for them to pursue the ebook market at the expense of their shareholders.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:32 PM   #20
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angst View Post
Ok. So why do I have to pay 50% more for the ebook if it costs 10% less to produce?
I did agree that was ridiculous.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2011, 12:14 AM   #21
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
I'm displeased when a product I want more costs more than the product I want less. Seems to happen a lot.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 03:34 AM   #22
DarkRoast
Enthusiast
DarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Sony Reader 650
I am happy to pay more for a new release... but not that much more. In Australia, some new releases are $25+. That's totally ridiculous. For a special book, I would happily pay $45 for hardcover version because I get a better quality product that will give me years of enjoyment. I think $15 is reasonable for a new release ebook... no more. I won't pay it. Australian ebook prices (maybe even book prices in general) are completely unreasonable.
DarkRoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:00 AM   #23
brbubba
Connoisseur
brbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS350
Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
Not according to at least one professional author. Charlie Stross said in his blog that the cost of putting ink on paper and getting it in to our hands is maybe 10% of the total price. The average book requires about a year of effort on the part of the author, and an equal amount of time on the part of the publisher's staff, between editing, typesetting, proofing, etc. So 10% less than the current edition is entirely reasonable. More than the current edition is, as everyone agrees, ridiculous, of course. But ebooks are not nearly as cheap to produce as many people believe, because most of the process is exactly the same.
I don't know if it's exactly 10% but it is a lot less than 50%. I briefly worked for a publisher back in the day and they would sell books to the big retailers for 50% of the cover price with a buy back policy, meaning if they didn't sell them all they could send them back. That sounds like a no lose situation to me and also explains how retailers can have sales up to 50% off the cover price.
brbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:28 AM   #24
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
I gotta pay $11 to see a two hour movie.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:36 AM   #25
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention:

I gladly paid $14.99 for Lost in a Good Book (eBook) month or two ago when I purchased it. Because I felt that it is worth that price whether printed or electronic.

Or, I could drive to Borders and buy the crappy Penguin trade paperback for the exact same price locally. Plus tax. Plus driving back again. Plus I'm a germ scared android so I don't just pop in to a store whenever the whim hits me. Making the eBook for the same price hugely desirable.

True, I could purchase from a discounted store like Amazon or even get it used off of the marketplace or eBay or something but I didn't.

I actually value the eBook higher than the print book in this case because I want the things that the eBook version can give me that the printed book cannot. Both are $14.99, but the amount of convenience minus the amount of work I am required to do in either case actually makes the eBook version worth more than the printed book (to me).

So I paid the asking price with gusto and two minutes later I was reading it in the crook of the arm of my couch, adjusting the fonts, and smiling copiously as Thursday continues her delightful adventures.

The truth is that some people will look at a $14.99 eBook and scream bloody murder over the outrage of a book priced in a way that other people might consider to be perfectly fair and the opposite of outrageous. I'm accustomed to paying QUITE A BIT more than a measly $14.99 for books that I truly want to read. If they had released the eBook version at the hardcover price all over again, now that would seem weird, but they didn't and they simply matched the trade paperback price and I would rather have the eBook over the trade if they are both at the exact same price.

Oh man, long winded apologetics look horrible on me!

Last edited by Anthem; 01-08-2011 at 10:40 PM.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:47 AM   #26
CommonReader
Fanatic
CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, PRS-650, Vaio Tap 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
If that is the common consensus, then there is no market for ebooks. If a publisher honestly believes (especially if they're correct) that they will make less money (and you're talking quite a bit less) from ebooks, or even loose money on them, compared to paper books, it would be literally criminal for them to pursue the ebook market at the expense of their shareholders.
I don't believe that this is a viable option for most publishers. The ebook genie is out of the bottle and the publishers have no chance to push it back. Provided some book is even moderately popular either the publisher will publish an ebook version or someone else will do so. Price gauging is also risky. People who wouldn't dream of stealing a book from their local book store will act quite differently when faced with the option to download a DRM infested ebook for 24 Euros from a book store or to simply download the same book without DRM for free from some server in Russia. Unlike with HD films you can download books even with a slow internet connection. Up to now publishers were able to ignore this development as people reading ebooks were still quite a minority. With the spread of ebook readers, smartphones, iPads, Android tablets etc. this is going to change massively and publishers will have the same problems as the music industry.
CommonReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:47 AM   #27
nashira
Addict
nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkRoast View Post
I am happy to pay more for a new release... but not that much more. In Australia, some new releases are $25+. That's totally ridiculous. For a special book, I would happily pay $45 for hardcover version because I get a better quality product that will give me years of enjoyment. I think $15 is reasonable for a new release ebook... no more. I won't pay it. Australian ebook prices (maybe even book prices in general) are completely unreasonable.
Book prices in Australia are, as a rule, unreasonable by default. So says the $50 novels I've brought over the years.

And most of them weren't even hardbacks.
nashira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:01 AM   #28
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Evo, HTC View
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
I gladly payed $14.99 for Lost in a Good Book (eBook) month or two ago when I purchased it. Because I felt that it is worth that price whether printed or electronic.
The publishers just love people like you. The question is, are there enough of you around to keep them in business.

The industry looks to be entering a crisis mode right now, and I don't think pissing off your customers is a very good way to prepare for that.
vaughnmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:23 AM   #29
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
As some have noted, the real question is simply "what is this particular book worth to you in this particular format?"

When it was first released, I bought Christianity: The First Three Thousand Years by Diarmaid MacCulloch for $28.80 (36% off the $45 list price) in hardcover. The book has been sitting in my TBR pile since it was purchased. Part of the problem is that it is so big (approximately 1200 pages), it is difficult for me to hold these days. The other half of the problem is that the more I use my Sony Reader, the less inclined I am to read a pbook; I really enjoy the ebook experience.

So what to do? I decided that I really want to read this book so it was worth my buying the ebook version at $29.99, which I did earlier this week. Bottom line is that this book was worth a total of $58.79 to me to get it in the 2 formats I wanted: hardcover for insertion into my permanent library and ebook for ease of and pleasurable reading.

I grant that my buying habits are not the norm. But neither are the buying habits of most people in this thread who complain about price. I think the reality is that most ebook buyers are not comparison shoppers. I think that most people who bought or were given a Kindle buy their ebooks at Amazon and do not consider whether the same book can be had elsewhere for less or more. Similarly, most of those who bought or were given a Nook shop at Barnes & Noble and do not comparison shop. If this were not true, there would be no economic justification for the proprietary formats/DRM schemes Amazon and B&N employ.

I also think that the reality is that most of these ebook buyers simply buy a book that interests them at the then going price without thinking twice about it.

I clearly have no objective data to support my beliefs, but I do know how my friends and neighbors who have bought or were given ebook-reading devices shop for their books. And this is why, regardless of the complaining about pricing done here on MR, publishers are able to successfully impose the agency model on the consuming public.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:26 AM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Personally I see absolutely no problem with spending $15 on a good book. That's less than I'd spend for a take-away pizza. A book is worth more to me than a pizza.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote