Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-01-2010, 07:56 PM   #1
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer
Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Kindle Fire HD 7", Kindle Touch
What to Read to Second Graders?

I'm looking for good recommendations to read to a class of second graders. Every Thursday I go to the town's elementary school to read to a class and I'm drawing a blank on what to read tomorrow. I started off the year with the Roald Dahl classic, "The BFG", from my Kindle DX. I then followed it up with "Chocolate Fever". I'm considering a couple of books, but I'm not terribly sure if they are too advanced for these youngsters. I'm looking at "The Indian in the Cupboard" and "The Sign of the Beaver". Any thoughts on these ideas or other selections? Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!
Connallmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:58 PM   #2
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
Kipling's Just So Stories are pretty good.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13214
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2010, 09:54 PM   #3
JoelArnold
Fanatic
JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead is a good one. (I think I got the name right.)

Or many of Beverly Cleary's books - The Mouse and the Motorcycle, for example.
JoelArnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:11 PM   #4
hnoto
Groupie
hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Indian in the Cupboard is a good one. Other books for this age level:

Get Ready for Second Grade, Amber Brown--Danziger
Matilda--Dahl
My Father's Dragon--Ruth Stiles Gannet
Any of the Cam Jansen books by David Adler
Any Nate the Great by Sharmat
Sarah, Plain and Tall by Patricia MacLachlan
Catwings by LeGuin
Charlotte's Web
Trumpet of the Swan
Stuart Little
Magic Tree House Series--(poorly written with fragments which make me want to pull my teaching hair out, but a real favorite w/the kids)

I don't know which of any of these are out in ebook, but there ya go.
hnoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:12 PM   #5
hnoto
Groupie
hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS 505
OOOH, Cleary is EXCELLENT and the kids all like her books.
hnoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2010, 07:02 AM   #6
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer
Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you all for the suggestions, here's some karma for all of you! It looks like it will be "My Father's Dragon" this week.

Just a word of note as well, it doesn't appear as though Roald Dahl's books are available on Kindle any more.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:45 PM   #7
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer

They enjoyed "My Father's Dragon", despite the abrupt ending. Honestly, I was expecting the story to go on for another five to six pages and was almost as surprised as they were that it was over. Did the author's write a sequel?
Old 12-09-2010, 09:51 PM   #8
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connallmac View Post
They enjoyed "My Father's Dragon", despite the abrupt ending. Honestly, I was expecting the story to go on for another five to six pages and was almost as surprised as they were that it was over. Did the author's write a sequel?
From the Kindle book page:

Author Ruth Stiles Gannett 's stand-alone sequel, Elmer and the Dragon, and her third volume, The Dragons of Blueland both received starred reviews in School Library Journal and are as fresh and original as her first.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 02:33 PM   #9
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
From the Kindle book page:

Author Ruth Stiles Gannett 's stand-alone sequel, Elmer and the Dragon, and her third volume, The Dragons of Blueland both received starred reviews in School Library Journal and are as fresh and original as her first.
Thank you ma'am, I appreciate it! Karma to you!