Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-19-2014, 09:27 PM   #16
mlamb
mlamb began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Calibre 1.28.0 has a tab called "Convert Books"; then the most promising option appears to be "Table of Contents", Output Format "EPUB", "Manually fine tune the ToC …", then run the enhanced EPUB file through Kindle Previewer. Is that the overall approach you had in mind? (I realize I should probably take this to the Calibre forum to go much further, but just want to be sure I am on the right track.) Thanks!
mlamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 04:08 AM   #17
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
It is not the 'Convert Books' option, it is the 'Edit Book' option in Calibre.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2014, 04:35 AM   #18
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlamb View Post
Calibre 1.28.0 has a tab called "Convert Books"; then the most promising option appears to be "Table of Contents", Output Format "EPUB", "Manually fine tune the ToC …", then run the enhanced EPUB file through Kindle Previewer. Is that the overall approach you had in mind? (I realize I should probably take this to the Calibre forum to go much further, but just want to be sure I am on the right track.) Thanks!
mlamb:

You DO understand that the NCX does not display on the vast majority of Kindle reading devices, right? That over 90% of the Kindles and Kindle readers out there display the HTML.TOC, not the NCX?

This whole quest seems...seriously ill-advised to me. The NCX is the backbone of ePUB *and* Kindle/MOBI both. It's how the device itself navigates. It's not aesthetic. I don't understand why on earth you're doing this in this fashion-why you'd want a longer HTML TOC, which is what most of your readers will be seeing when they click "go to TOC," and a shorter NCX, which is what most of your readers will NEVER see. This makes no sense to me whatsoever.

Sigil, et al, keep crashing because you're messing with the NCX, thinking it's something that is aesthetic, instead of understanding that it plays a crucial part in the navigation and tracking in the devices and readers. If you are determined to have a short TOC display, then only use those headers for the html.toc. That's simplicity itself. OR, if you want a long toc to display at the front, but a short TOC on the "Go To," make TWO html.tocs in the book. Put one at the front without any tags/markers/guide items, and put the short one at the back of the book, with the Guide item TOC on THAT.

Nor do I know why the rest of you haven't brought this up? Calibre isn't going to do this any better than Sigil, for the same reasons, and an AZW3 file is NOT uploadable at Amazon, folks.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote