Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-12-2010, 06:35 PM   #1
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
iPad vs kindle, yet another take

You know, I love the Kindle but for me, the iPad fills in the gap. Where else can you download and read a book like Pillars of the Earth and then enhance it with the mini series from Netflix? True, the mini series changed some of the book to suit their needs, and I wish that they didn't, but it's still a fun experience to read the book, then have the characters "come to life" in a tv series! Very fun!
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 07:38 PM   #2
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I wouldn't mind having an iPad, in-fact I was in a quandary over which of the two to get for a while. It's why I didn't order a K3 the first day. I finally decided that since I mainly read in my spare time, the Kindle just makes more sense as a reader being lighter, cheaper, and easier to replace if I do something stupid. I'd honestly be afraid to take the iPad out of the house.

Still, Christmas is yet to come this year, so who knows?
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2010, 07:43 PM   #3
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

I take my iPad just about everywhere with me but of course it's in it's protective case. In my mind, no worse than taking your lap top or net book with you.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:58 PM   #4
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I guess it's because the iPad can actually be carried and used while your moving, as opposed to being taken somewhere and set on a desk or table, that makes me more fearful of dropping it (and the resulting horror of watching my (theoretical) iPad fall to the floor).
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:34 PM   #5
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
McAstoria:"...but it's still a fun experience to read the book, then have the characters "come to life" in a tv series! Very fun!"

I guess that's my problem. I enjoy reading books. My fun experiences come from other parts of my life. And, for reading books, just reading books, the Kindle meets my needs quite well.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2010, 10:20 PM   #6
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
In addition to reading...I love watching cooking shows on YouTube. I've watched tv show via the abc app and even rented a movie once to try it out. I'm typing via my iPad right now

Nonny
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:29 PM   #7
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
Reading the book, then watching the movie does kind of sound like fun. I'm very happy with my reader, but I'm glad you're enjoying the iPad. I have to admit, it is very shiny :-)
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:41 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
iPad vs Kindle is just
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:05 AM   #9
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
Quote:
Where else can you download and read a book like Pillars of the Earth and then enhance it with the mini series from Netflix?
My living room. With Dolby surround sound and a 42" screen, to boot. In my underwear.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 03:41 PM   #10
MsAstoria
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Strnad View Post
My living room. With Dolby surround sound and a 42" screen, to boot. In my underwear.
Not going there!
Old 08-13-2010, 05:47 PM   #11
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAstoria View Post
Not going there!
If *only* the government would subsidize my addiction with *MASSIVE* quantities of money, I *too* would be a Mac fan. Sadly, I live in the real world and must buy and use equipment that is priced within my reach.

Thankfully, I've yet to find a piece of Macquipment that cannot be outperformed by a similar piece of Winquip - for less than 1/4 the price! Now if only MacJobs would offer and e-ink iReader (for a low, LOW price of $1,499.00) - it would drive every person to the Kindle!

(Let the Win-Mac wars begin. )

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 06:24 PM   #12
Talldog
Addict
Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KDX Graphite, Surface Pro
Well, after a month with my iPad, my magazines have all moved there. Readers Digest is beautiful on the iPad. Books will remain on my Graphite. I'm glad I'm able to have both.
Talldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 07:25 AM   #13
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
If *only* the government would subsidize my addiction with *MASSIVE* quantities of money, I *too* would be a Mac fan. Sadly, I live in the real world and must buy and use equipment that is priced within my reach.

Thankfully, I've yet to find a piece of Macquipment that cannot be outperformed by a similar piece of Winquip - for less than 1/4 the price! Now if only MacJobs would offer and e-ink iReader (for a low, LOW price of $1,499.00) - it would drive every person to the Kindle!

(Let the Win-Mac wars begin. )

Derek
Really? I wouldn't. I'm shocked that the current government isn't subsidizing Apple. I have no desire to do business with Apple and the price you pay to be cool is not my major complaint.

Yesterday, I answered a knock on my door while I had my Kindle in my hand. It was a neighbor, a basic Apple fanatic, and when she saw the Kindle she squealed, "Oh, you got an IPad, I so want an IPad, don't you just love it."

"It's a Kindle eBook reader." "Oh."

Last edited by patrickt; 08-14-2010 at 07:27 AM.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 07:31 AM   #14
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
I would love to be able to buy an iPad (it doesn't have a launch date for my country, yet). And the use I would give to it would be completely paralel with my Kindle DX and Cybook. I wouldn't use it to read books. Just comics, some manga, use the apps, browse the internet, etc).
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 07:35 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
I would love to be able to buy an iPad (it doesn't have a launch date for my country, yet). And the use I would give to it would be completely paralel with my Kindle DX and Cybook. I wouldn't use it to read books. Just comics, some manga, use the apps, browse the internet, etc).
How far from the Spanish border are you? I believe it's sold there, isn't it?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote