Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 04-20-2010, 08:00 PM   #1
Polydwarf
Enthusiast
Polydwarf began at the beginning.

Device: SmartQ V7, Cybook Opus
[solved] Opus doesn't remember settings between reboots

Last night, my Opus started forgetting any settings. When I turn it on now, it thinks it's factory-fresh, asks me the language, I have to re-do my settings, etc. The epubs I had loaded onto it are still there. Battery meter reads 80%. I don't remember it doing anything strange before this happened.

I'm on 1.9... I heard enough bad things about the 2.0 epub firmware that I never bothered even buying a micro-sd card to load it on.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm going to try plugging it in and seeing if it's just the battery meter lying to me.

Last edited by Polydwarf; 04-20-2010 at 10:17 PM. Reason: noting solved in threat title
Polydwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:12 PM   #2
Polydwarf
Enthusiast

Battery doesn't seem to be the issue.
Chkdsk didn't report anything bad.

I'm trying a format now.
Advert
Old 04-20-2010, 10:17 PM   #3
Polydwarf
Enthusiast

Formatting worked. Took some doing, since my windows box wasn't happy with doing anything with the usb drive (no windowed tools wanted to work; I dropped back to command line) but so it goes.
Old 04-21-2010, 03:04 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm not sure what "bad things" you've heard about the 2.0 firmware, but you've been misinformed. The only issue with it is that there's a minor bug in the library screen, meaning that it doesn't read metadata from ePub books. The actual ePub reader itself is a tremendous improvement over 1.9, and is completely stable. I would strongly suggest that you upgrade to 2.0.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 04:00 AM   #5
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
What Harry said.
2.0 is way less buggy.
Today the cybooks crashed when turning a page, as it happened, it had no more battery.
With 1.9, I could barely read half an hour without crashes.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2010, 05:16 AM   #6
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm not sure what "bad things" you've heard about the 2.0 firmware, but you've been misinformed. The only issue with it is that there's a minor bug in the library screen, meaning that it doesn't read metadata from ePub books.
I would call that a major bug since the effect is pretty bad.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 05:25 AM   #7
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I would call that a major bug since the effect is pretty bad.
I took the habit of renaming my books properly, and voilà.

** waits for firmware version 2.1 **
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 06:11 AM   #8
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
What Harry said.
2.0 is way less buggy.
Today the cybooks crashed when turning a page, as it happened, it had no more battery.
With 1.9, I could barely read half an hour without crashes.
And you forget that the 1.9 have major and destructive bugs that can led to the to the total loss of your content... You should leave the 1.9 version and use the 2.0 even if it as the small metadata bug, they are really slight compared to the majors bugs the previous firmware had...
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 12:18 PM   #9
Polydwarf
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm not sure what "bad things" you've heard about the 2.0 firmware, but you've been misinformed. The only issue with it is that there's a minor bug in the library screen, meaning that it doesn't read metadata from ePub books. The actual ePub reader itself is a tremendous improvement over 1.9, and is completely stable. I would strongly suggest that you upgrade to 2.0.
Problems I've heard:

Unusable library due to epub issues (whether or not this is blown out of proportion, I don't know; I have a hard time finding a by-the-numbers account of what's going on with it, what the actual user-ramifications are, and what the workarounds actually mean for a user)

Flashing problems (leading to rma's)

Some people reporting abnormally slow page turns

Battery issues (I've only seen people reporting this in the last day or two because the thread was necro'd, so wasn't a decision before about firmware usage; but it is an issue now)

Looking at the "official" 2.0 list, 1.9 already had the features, and there was no mention of increased performance/stability/bug fixes/etc. Up until this issue, I wasn't having stability problems (I've read it for 3 or 4 hours at a stretch with no problem), and 1.9 already had the features. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, especially when there's no way to go back to the 1.9 firmware I'm currently happy with (aside from last night).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzil View Post
And you forget that the 1.9 have major and destructive bugs that can led to the to the total loss of your content... You should leave the 1.9 version and use the 2.0 even if it as the small metadata bug, they are really slight compared to the majors bugs the previous firmware had...
No, I didn't forget; I never knew. There's no sticky about "Opus Bugs" or "Things you should know about your Opus" or anything like that. Searching the forum for "content loss" yields up three threads. This one, and two others (the most recent of the other two is almost a year old). The thrust is basically "don't be a moron when disconnecting the device; do it the way you're supposed to, and you won't have problems."

Are you saying that you can pull the usb cable now in 2.0/1.5 without bothering with doing the Safely Remove Hardware under windows (or a double sync under linux; the old sun admin in me does a double sync, instead of a single sync. It's just the way I was taught back in the day)?

Further searching found https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t=66973&page=3 which is probably the thread you are thinking I should have read (now 3.5 months old)? Personally, I'm firmly of the opinion Bookeen should have mentioned something about fixing a bad data-loss bug in their update notes if it's something they fixed, instead of forcing people to assume things. Yes, I know they don't put everything in release notes; I've written enough of them myself to know that. Still, there are times that a software developer has to own up to the fact that there was a bad data-loss bug that got fixed.

As a question, where did you get the info about the nand flash you mentioned in the thread I linked? I'm having a hard time tracking down the source of that.

Last edited by Polydwarf; 04-21-2010 at 12:21 PM.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:08 PM   #10
Godzil
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydwarf View Post
Problems I've heard:

Unusable library due to epub issues (whether or not this is blown out of proportion, I don't know; I have a hard time finding a by-the-numbers account of what's going on with it, what the actual user-ramifications are, and what the workarounds actually mean for a user)
1.9 have the same problem, so if you don't have problem with 1.9, you don't have new problem with the 2.0

Quote:
Flashing problems (leading to rma's)
The number I heard is really low

Quote:
Some people reporting abnormally slow page turns
I don't hear about this that doesn't exist in 1.9
Quote:
Battery issues (I've only seen people reporting this in the last day or two because the thread was necro'd, so wasn't a decision before about firmware usage; but it is an issue now)
Neither for 1.9 version

Quote:
Looking at the "official" 2.0 list, 1.9 already had the features, and there was no mention of increased performance/stability/bug fixes/etc. Up until this issue, I wasn't having stability problems (I've read it for 3 or 4 hours at a stretch with no problem), and 1.9 already had the features. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, especially when there's no way to go back to the 1.9 firmware I'm currently happy with (aside from last night).
You're right, this release miss some informations.

Quote:
No, I didn't forget; I never knew. There's no sticky about "Opus Bugs" or "Things you should know about your Opus" or anything like that. Searching the forum for "content loss" yields up three threads. This one, and two others (the most recent of the other two is almost a year old). The thrust is basically "don't be a moron when disconnecting the device; do it the way you're supposed to, and you won't have problems."
What you cite was for HarryT, not especially for you.

Quote:
Are you saying that you can pull the usb cable now in 2.0/1.5 without bothering with doing the Safely Remove Hardware under windows (or a double sync under linux; the old sun admin in me does a double sync, instead of a single sync. It's just the way I was taught back in the day)?
You can, but it's risky.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:37 PM   #11
nonnac
nonnac began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Opus
hi polydwarf, I have this problem since a few days ago... can you tell me what you did (formatting)? ...disk format or checkdisk or what... reinstall latest firmware? I can work out the steps, I'm just wondering exactly what it was that was broken (and how?) and then fixed...

thanks so much!
nonnac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 05:33 AM   #12
Godzil

First, be sure that you are with firmware 2.1/1.6 before doing anything.
Old 12-03-2010, 02:01 AM   #13
nonnac
nonnac began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Opus
thanks, i'm good now.
nonnac is offline   Reply With Quote