Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-05-2013, 12:50 PM   #1
ekaser
Opinion Artiste
ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire
David Gerrold - The Voyage of the Star Wolf

I'd read Gerrold novels YEARS ago (70s), like "When Harlie Was One" and "The Man Who Folded Himself," and enjoyed them a great deal. I don't think I ever read any of his Chtorr series, and had never heard of his Star Wolf series until recently.

"The Voyage of the Star Wolf" is the first in the series, and was intended as a concept for a TV series. It has many 'echoes' of Star Trek (unnamed Tribbles make an appearance, there's a Morthan crew-member who has great similarities to Klingons and Worf, the on-board doctor, while female, shares grumpy similarity with Bones, 'Wesley' is listed as one of the crew members brutally killed at one point, there's even a sly reference to an 'enterprise' at one point that can be taken in two different ways. Gerrold was, of course, the writer for "The Trouble With Tribbles" episode of the original series. (And the Chtorr themselves are mentioned once.) The computer on the ship is called HARLIE, which is, of course, linked to his earlier novel "When HARLIE Was One."

But in many other ways, the Star Wolf is a VERY different ship from the Enterprise, and it operates in a very different universe.

I enjoyed the book a GREAT deal, one of the better reads I've had lately. Many will grumble that it smacks of Battlestar Gallactica, not realizing that these books PREdate that series (at least, the newer, darker BG). But nothing is new, and there were many "space operas" written long before BG, Star Wolf, or any of the other popular works in this vein, and they all owe great debts of gratitude to Hornblower and such.

If you haven't read it, I give it a strong recommendation. It starts out weak (too much technical background that SHOULD have been woven into the story, in my opinion), but you quickly get past that, meet the characters, jump into the action, and once it gets going, it's hard to put down. I'll definitely be reading the other two books in the series, "The Middle of Nowhere" and "Blood and Fire."

The reason I tracked the book down (it's only 99 cents on Amazon as an e-book, the other two books in the series are $4.99), was that the books
started as a TV series proposal, got turned into novels when that didn't go anywhere, and now Gerrold, along with D. C. Fontana and a number of other folks have started a Kickstarter project to try to turn it into an "independent TV series." Well, worth checking out, if you enjoy science fiction:

David Gerrold's Star Wolf Kickstarter Project

Everett
ekaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:06 PM   #2
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
If you can find a copy of it read Star Hunt also. I have not found a ebook copy yet and wore out my paper one years ago.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2013, 11:01 AM   #3
ekaser
Opinion Artiste
ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
If you can find a copy of it read Star Hunt also. I have not found a ebook copy yet and wore out my paper one years ago.
I knew there was an earlier "not completely compatible," story-wise, novel that used some of the same characters, but hadn't gotten to the point of tracking down a copy yet, still being busy reading the 'main' three books (currently in the middle of the second one, "The Middle of Nowhere"). But thanks for the prompting: I've ordered a used paper copy (I couldn't find an ebook version anywhere either... might have to create my own when I get the book).

I'll be a little surprised if they make their Kickstarter project, but I certainly hope they do. I think it could be a great video series. The best shows are the ones with the best writers, and with David Gerrold fully involved in it, it would have great possibilities!
ekaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:05 PM   #4
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekaser View Post
I'd read Gerrold novels YEARS ago (70s), like "When Harlie Was One" and "The Man Who Folded Himself," and enjoyed them a great deal. I don't think I ever read any of his Chtorr series, and had never heard of his Star Wolf series until recently.

"The Voyage of the Star Wolf" is the first in the series, and was intended as a concept for a TV series. It has many 'echoes' of Star Trek (unnamed Tribbles make an appearance, there's a Morthan crew-member who has great similarities to Klingons and Worf, the on-board doctor, while female, shares grumpy similarity with Bones, 'Wesley' is listed as one of the crew members brutally killed at one point, there's even a sly reference to an 'enterprise' at one point that can be taken in two different ways. Gerrold was, of course, the writer for "The Trouble With Tribbles" episode of the original series. (And the Chtorr themselves are mentioned once.) The computer on the ship is called HARLIE, which is, of course, linked to his earlier novel "When HARLIE Was One."

But in many other ways, the Star Wolf is a VERY different ship from the Enterprise, and it operates in a very different universe.

I enjoyed the book a GREAT deal, one of the better reads I've had lately. Many will grumble that it smacks of Battlestar Gallactica, not realizing that these books PREdate that series (at least, the newer, darker BG). But nothing is new, and there were many "space operas" written long before BG, Star Wolf, or any of the other popular works in this vein, and they all owe great debts of gratitude to Hornblower and such.

If you haven't read it, I give it a strong recommendation. It starts out weak (too much technical background that SHOULD have been woven into the story, in my opinion), but you quickly get past that, meet the characters, jump into the action, and once it gets going, it's hard to put down. I'll definitely be reading the other two books in the series, "The Middle of Nowhere" and "Blood and Fire."

The reason I tracked the book down (it's only 99 cents on Amazon as an e-book, the other two books in the series are $4.99), was that the books
started as a TV series proposal, got turned into novels when that didn't go anywhere, and now Gerrold, along with D. C. Fontana and a number of other folks have started a Kickstarter project to try to turn it into an "independent TV series." Well, worth checking out, if you enjoy science fiction:

Everett
thanks for lead
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:33 PM   #5
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I remember reading those books years ago. They weren't bad at all.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2013, 08:27 PM   #6
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekaser View Post

Everett
You can find some of his ebooks at Open Library. David Gerrold

bernie
Old 05-08-2013, 12:49 PM   #7
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Currently The Voyage of the Star Wolf is just .99 cents but I don't know how long that will last.
Amazon US
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:57 PM   #8
gbm
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Currently The Voyage of the Star Wolf is just .99 cents but I don't know how long that will last.
Amazon US
It's been 99 cents since at least August of 2012, that is when I purchased it. I think is is being used as a lost/leader for the series.

bernie
Old 05-08-2013, 01:02 PM   #9
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It's been 99 cents since at least August of 2012, that is when I purchased it. I think is is being used as a lost/leader for the series.

bernie
Ah ok. Didn't know that. I had never heard of the book before. Picked up a copy today.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:22 PM   #10
gbm
Wizard

Quote:
Ah ok. Didn't know that. I had never heard of the book before. Picked up a copy today.
You are in for a treat, especially if you liked Star Trek: The Trouble with Tribbles.

bernie
Old 05-08-2013, 01:24 PM   #11
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I was interested in this book, but look what I read from one of the reviews on Amazon:

"Avoid this ebook. It has over one hundred fifty errors---I stopped counting when I hit one hundred fifty. The first half is full of sentences missing words, usually prepositions or articles but sometimes the subject or verb. There are serious issues with capitalization and punctuation. In one segment, every comma has been turned into a period. In another, many sentences end with an em dash instead of a period. There are missing and extra carriage returns or paragraph marks throughout, and the ellipsis has been replaced with three periods (which makes the formatting on the kindle mess up)."

This appears to be one of the main reasons - from many reviews - for only one star.

Can anyone verify that this has been fixed, please.

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 05-08-2013 at 01:26 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:50 PM   #12
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
You are in for a treat, especially if you liked Star Trek: The Trouble with Tribbles.

bernie
"Just before they went into warp I transported the whole kit and kaboodle into their transporter room, where they'll be no tribble at all. " They did a very good sequel to the episode on DS9 as I recall.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:31 PM   #13
gbm
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I was interested in this book, but look what I read from one of the reviews on Amazon:

"Avoid this ebook. It has over one hundred fifty errors---I stopped counting when I hit one hundred fifty. The first half is full of sentences missing words, usually prepositions or articles but sometimes the subject or verb. There are serious issues with capitalization and punctuation. In one segment, every comma has been turned into a period. In another, many sentences end with an em dash instead of a period. There are missing and extra carriage returns or paragraph marks throughout, and the ellipsis has been replaced with three periods (which makes the formatting on the kindle mess up)."

This appears to be one of the main reasons - from many reviews - for only one star.

Can anyone verify that this has been fixed, please.

Don
The ASIN of the ebook that is at Amazon is different than the ASIN of the edition that I purchased. The one I have has some errors.

bernie
Old 05-08-2013, 09:35 PM   #14
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
The ASIN of the ebook that is at Amazon is different than the ASIN of the edition that I purchased. The one I have has some errors.

bernie
Some errors in text has been a standard thing since the days of the scribes recopying text by hand on papyrus and later parchment. Of course it might be that it has been corrected since the critical reviews were posted. Will have to see.

Last edited by crich70; 05-08-2013 at 09:42 PM.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:32 AM   #15
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Some errors in text has been a standard thing since the days of the scribes recopying text by hand on papyrus and later parchment. Of course it might be that it has been corrected since the critical reviews were posted. Will have to see.

We're not talking standard errors here, thank you.

I'm talking about a conspiracy!

OK: Now to be serious. Go to Amazon and read through all the 1-star reviews, which can characterize what seems to be a problem with this particular edition.

About whether these errors have been corrected or not, I would just like to add again: Has anyone recently bought THIS edition, please?

Now wehere wsa I: OH yEss. rErrros.

Don

Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote