Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 04-06-2011, 02:02 PM   #1
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Moon+ Reader: Cutting off text?

I'm alternating between Aldiko and Moon+ readers on my android devices. I really like the Moon+ highlighting features, but the app seems a little buggy sometimes.

Today I loaded an epub in Moon+ and noticed that in several places in the first chapter, text was cut-off - often in mid-word. These cuts always seemed to occur before a "chapter" break (there's an option in Misc to break chapters up if they exceed X KB in size), but didn't ALWAYS occur before a chapter break.

I loaded the same epub into Aldiko and it didn't have any problems - and I was able to confirm that the cut text was pretty large chunks in some cases.

I tried fiddling with the chapter break options in Moon+, but nothing seemed to fix it and entering really large numbers (100 KB and 1000 KB) made the problem worse - the resulting "chapter" cut off halfway through and went straight into the next (book) chapter.

I sent an email to the developer, but am wondering if someone here knows the answer? I feel like I'm pretty good with most apps, but the menu options in Moon+ are copious and I'm willing to believe I missed something obvious somewhere.

Last edited by anamardoll; 04-06-2011 at 02:11 PM.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:00 AM   #2
thrawn_aj
quantum mechanic
thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook1, Samsung Transform, Nook2
I'm glad you posted this. I have the same problem and changing the chapter break options does nothing. Using ePUB books of course.

So far, this has happened mostly with Baen books (especially the Honor Harrington novels - in the free library if anyone wants to try). I suspect it may have to do with some obscure flag in the book conversion itself that makes only this app hiccup (FBreader, Coolreader and my Nook (the actual Nook, not the app - haven't tried that) are just fine with these files, as is the Calibre ebook viewer).

By the way, in my case, this happens for ALL chapters (i.e. a large chunk of text gets cut off before the next chapter begins).

Here's an example book from the Baen free library - http://www.webscription.net/p-92-crown-of-slaves.aspx. If you have a free/public domain book that you're seeing a problem with, I'll be happy to test it too so we can make sure it's not some setting that's at fault.

Edit: changing the chapter break size from 50K all the way to 5000K (in several steps) did not change where the text broke for me (this seems different from what you saw).

Last edited by thrawn_aj; 04-13-2011 at 11:05 AM.
thrawn_aj is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2011, 11:46 AM   #3
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thrawn,

>> Edit: changing the chapter break size from 50K all the way to 5000K (in several steps) did not change where the text broke for me (this seems different from what you saw).

Actually, I did see this at one point - there seems to be an unspoken upper limit on the chapter break size.

I spoke to the Moon+ author and he said this was a Samsung Android 2.1 ROM problem and that upgrading to 2.2.x would solve the problem. I didn't upgrade yet because I'm not quite sure I'm ready for that, BUT --

I did find, through completely random playing around, that setting the chapter break to 5k (i.e., SMALLER than the default 9k) fixed the problem for the book I was currently wrestling with. I have no idea why or if that fix will flow to the other books on the device.

Note that I haven't had this problem on my rooted Nook Color, so I assume that the "Samsung Android Bug" explanation is probably correct.

Other nice thing I recently found out about Moon+: Being able to put book shortcuts on the home screen.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:29 PM   #4
thrawn_aj
quantum mechanic
thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
I spoke to the Moon+ author and he said this was a Samsung Android 2.1 ROM problem and that upgrading to 2.2.x would solve the problem. I didn't upgrade yet because I'm not quite sure I'm ready for that, BUT --
Hmm. That may only be part of the problem then, because my Samsung Transform was upgraded several weeks ago and I didn't see any change in this bug before and after the upgrade. I also updated the app itself yesterday and that didn't do anything either. However ...

Quote:
I did find, through completely random playing around, that setting the chapter break to 5k (i.e., SMALLER than the default 9k) fixed the problem for the book I was currently wrestling with. I have no idea why or if that fix will flow to the other books on the device.

Note that I haven't had this problem on my rooted Nook Color, so I assume that the "Samsung Android Bug" explanation is probably correct.
Absolutely brilliant! . That worked for me, for all the problematic books I've tried this with so far. Thank you so very much .

Quote:
Other nice thing I recently found out about Moon+: Being able to put book shortcuts on the home screen.
You win a dozen internets ! That's really neat! Except, I just looked and can't seem to figure out how to do that . I went through the usual process (long tap on the home screen and tried all options there). Then tried it thorough Moon+ (long tap on books but no such option appeared). Tried adding books to favorites but that doesn't put it to home screen either. Any ideas? Or maybe it is hardware specific (I wouldn't have thought so).

Edit: I bought the Pro version a while back and that's what is installed on my phone so that can't be the problem (just saw in the "About" dialog that book shortcut to desktop is only available in the pro version).

Edit2: Ach! Never mind . The shortcut can only be created from the file browser, not the bookshelf. It's in that long tap menu, plain as day. Oh frabjous joy . We really need a "rubbing hands gleefully" smiley in here .

Last edited by thrawn_aj; 04-15-2011 at 11:44 PM.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:21 AM   #5
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Thrawn,

I know - it's really hidden!! There's another way, too - when you're in a book, if you touch the lower left hand corner of the screen (where the battery display is on the progress bar?) a "Book Information" dialogue comes up. (It has a page number for you too, but it's a little buggy. That's how I first found out about the Book Information screen - I wanted an actual page number!)

There's a button THERE that says "Add to Desktop". Voila!

Funny enough, you can also do this with Aldiko, but it's just as hidden. On the phone home screen, you do the long-press like you're adding a Widget, but instead you select "Shortcut". Then you select "Aldiko Premium" (dunno if this works in vanilla Aldiko), and then you get your library to choose a book to add to the desktop.

Why these options aren't integrated more...intuitively...baffles me. It's a HUGE feature for ME!!

And I agree that a "hands rubbing in joy and anticipation of cluttering my phone screen with book covers" is needed here!
Advert
Old 04-19-2011, 05:28 PM   #6
thrawn_aj
quantum mechanic

Oh, that's sweet - just tried it! The book information thing is quite useful for me (and not just for adding to favs or desktop), but because it has the book summary on there too - and I spend a lot of time on putting detailed synopses/lists of stories in anthologies into the book metadata. Having it at my fingertips like this is awesome! Besides, I (used to, since I don't do paper books so much anymore) have this weird habit of looking at the back cover every once in a while to read the summary while reading the book (especially to try to figure out where the author's going with something or to try to guess some stuff). Time to resurrect some weird habits I see .

How you managed to pinpoint that tap zone is beyond me - it's soo tiny .
The page numbers are a trifle ... strange, eh? Pg. 157 of 35633 seems rather extreme for a normal sized paperback .

Quote:
And I agree that a "hands rubbing in joy and anticipation of cluttering my phone screen with book covers" is needed here!
(This -> will have to suffice ). I cleared up a whole screen on the phone for this purpose .
Old 04-19-2011, 10:30 PM   #7
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Yeah, what happened was... I've been blogging this deconstruction of Twilight on my blog (long story) and I PREFER to use Moon+ for my highlights, but I have to be able to list page numbers so my readers can follow along. Aldiko gave me page numbers, but Moon+ doesn't - it lists your page number IN THAT CHAPTER. Not helpful.

I wrote the Moon+ developer and asked for an actual page number, and he told me about the teeny-tiny click-area for the Book Information - because it contains page numbers. But he mentioned that they are buggy and don't work too well at the moment. I reckon it's "on the list".

It wasn't until I was in there that I saw the "add to my desktop" and was like OMG MUST DEDICATE ENTIRE SCREEN TO THIS AND THIS ALONE.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:32 AM   #8
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Question about Moon+, as I'm trying to go with either Adliko or Moon....does Moon+ support CSS? I don't like my paragraphs being separated unless told to by the CSS, but can't find an option for that
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 03:24 PM   #9
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
Question about Moon+, as I'm trying to go with either Adliko or Moon....does Moon+ support CSS? I don't like my paragraphs being separated unless told to by the CSS, but can't find an option for that
I believe that's the Moon+ --> Miscellaneous --> Intelligent Paragraph option? I think if you turn that off, you won't get paragraph spacing unless it's specifically in the text.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:28 PM   #10
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I tried that. It didn't work thanks for the help though. I'm going to stick with aldiko
Old 04-29-2011, 03:40 PM   #11
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
...does Moon+ support CSS? ...
No, not yet. That's the only thing that's noticeably missing for me.

Last edited by SCION; 04-29-2011 at 03:46 PM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 03:43 PM   #12
jhempel24
Wizard

That's the only thing holding me back from switching from Aldiko
Old 07-18-2011, 01:02 AM   #13
thrawn_aj
quantum mechanic

Moon+ 1.3.2. Must have updated recently (I haven't used it in a while). Chapters kept getting cut off again. This time however, the chapter break options seems to be missing entirely so I can't use the workaround Ana came up with before (earlier in this thread) of setting chapter break size to a lower value.

Any ideas on what's going on? I think I've sorta fixed it by restoring an old settings backup (which must mean that the setting is still there in some config file but has disappeared from the menu). Just curious if anyone else has observed this problem (it always reappeared for me after an update since the chapter break size gets reset to default then) and how they dealt with it.