Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 10-21-2009, 06:43 PM   #16
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Don't think it's arrogant at all - if you saw somebody reading a p-book and constantly referring to a dictionary, what would you think?

And your assumption that I just ignore words I don't know the meaning of is arrogant!
Constantly? If there is 3 words in a book you want to look up you will not bring a paper dictionary to read but if you have an electronic dictionary you will use it instead of just guessing what the words mean.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 06:45 PM   #17
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Constantly? If there is 3 words in a book you want to look up you will not bring a paper dictionary to read but if you have an electronic dictionary you will use it instead of just guessing what the words mean.
Deleted

Last edited by Bilbo1967; 10-25-2009 at 05:30 PM.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 06:47 PM   #18
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Don't think it's arrogant at all - if you saw somebody reading a p-book and constantly referring to a dictionary, what would you think?

And your assumption that I just ignore words I don't know the meaning of is arrogant!
Constantly? Why do you assume 'constantly'?

So....if you are reading somewhere besides your home where a paper dictionary is handy, what do you do when you come across a word that you do not know?

Write it down and look it up when you get home? Guess at the meaning?

If a dictionary is at your fingertips, literally, you learn something then and there that stays with you.

If you have to wait until later......maybe not.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 06:48 PM   #19
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Not 'guessing', 'inferring' - if you don't understand the difference, use your dictionary.
And it usually is impossible to infer the correct meaning and the correct connotations from the context. Especially for things like adjectives and name of birds and fishes and so on.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 06:49 PM   #20
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:

I would think that person is secure enough to admit what they don't know and try to better themselves by using a dictionary openly.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 06:53 PM   #21
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
And it usually is impossible to infer the correct meaning and the correct connotations from the context. Especially for things like adjectives and name of birds and fishes and so on.
Deleted

Old 10-21-2009, 06:54 PM   #22
Bilbo1967
Not scared!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I would think that person is secure enough to admit what they don't know and try to better themselves by using a dictionary openly.
Deleted

Old 10-21-2009, 06:59 PM   #23
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Of course you would!
Actually, I probably wouldn't be paying that much attention to someone else's dictionary habits because I have my own world going on. There are things I notice but someone's dictionary usage would be low on my awareness meter.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:59 PM   #24
Bilbo1967
Not scared!

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Constantly? Why do you assume 'constantly'?

So....if you are reading somewhere besides your home where a paper dictionary is handy, what do you do when you come across a word that you do not know?

Write it down and look it up when you get home? Guess at the meaning?

If a dictionary is at your fingertips, literally, you learn something then and there that stays with you.

If you have to wait until later......maybe not.
Deleted

Last edited by Bilbo1967; 10-25-2009 at 05:31 PM.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:00 PM   #25
Bilbo1967
Not scared!

Quote:
Actually, I probably wouldn't be paying that much attention to someone else's dictionary habits because I have my own world going on. There are things I notice but someone's dictionary usage would be low on my awareness meter.
Deleted

Old 10-21-2009, 07:04 PM   #26
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
My point was, that if you are basing your choice of an e-reader on the availibility of a dictionary, then I would suggest that you don't read enough to make an e-reader a worthwhile investment.
That's your opinion and you have a right to it but it does not make your opinion correct. A person's reason for wanting certain features in an ebook reader are just as valid as your feature wants.

You're kind of being mean.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:04 PM   #27
GJN
Guilty Bystander
GJN began at the beginning.

Device: MacBook Pro, Kindle, iPad, and other gadgets
Quote:
I'd say that if dictionary look up is that important to you then you should probably be heading back to school.

Seriously, if you really enjoy reading enough to consider shelling out serious money on a dedicated reading device then I would expect you would have read enough to not be stumped by words often enough to justify needing a dictionary by your side.
Keep in mind that English isn't the native language for all e-reader users. In my experience, reading books is one of the more pleasant ways of learning a new language. I'd love to have a reader in which I could substitute German-English, French-English, or Spanish-English dictionaries to improve my knowledge of those languages.
GJN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 07:04 PM   #28
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Thanks for that helpful addition to the discussion.
You're welcome!
Old 10-21-2009, 07:09 PM   #29
Bilbo1967
Not scared!

Quote:
That's your opinion and you have a right to it but it does not make your opinion correct. A person's reason for wanting certain features in an ebook reader are just as valid as your feature wants.

You're kind of being mean.
Deleted

Old 10-21-2009, 07:12 PM   #30
Bilbo1967
Not scared!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJN View Post
Keep in mind that English isn't the native language for all e-reader users. In my experience, reading books is one of the more pleasant ways of learning a new language. I'd love to have a reader in which I could substitute German-English, French-English, or Spanish-English dictionaries to improve my knowledge of those languages.
The issue of language-language dictionaries is an entirely different issue. my apologies for being so English-centric!