Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Windows Devices

Notices

Old 02-18-2014, 05:06 PM   #1
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Windows 8 Metro - Not for Power Users

Interesting article at DailyTech on why "Metro" (aka Modern UI) doesn't work well for power users. But what it means going forward for all of us, including those of us who are power users. The author quotes Jacob Miller, a leading designer of the Modern UI of Windows 8. Basically saying that the new UI will ultimately lead to a better desktop for power users.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:05 PM   #2
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
I'm using Win 8.1 on my new laptop. I read as much as I could about Win 8 before I got the computer, and updated it to 8.1 before I loaded anything on it. I also set up my primary account as a local account rather than a Microsoft account.

One of the first programs I put on it was Classic Shell to give me back my familiar Start menu and to allow me to boot automatically into the desktop, rather than Metro. So my learning curve wasn't very steep.

I came to 8.1 from Vista, and I really do like 8.1. It has less quirks than Vista, and I find it easy to access most functions that I use frequently. I use the mouse rather than key combinations (I never really have learned them). I don't visit the Metro side much, and don't really utilize it since one needs a Microsoft account to get things from the Metro store, but I can see where for some the Metro side might be all the casual user will need.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:26 AM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
One of the first programs I put on it was Classic Shell to give me back my familiar Start menu and to allow me to boot automatically into the desktop, rather than Metro. So my learning curve wasn't very steep.
There is a native setting in 8.1 to do that.

BTW: Windows 9 (or whatever they are calling it) is most likely going to allow you to run Metro apps windowed on your desktop. I think it is a must if they want developers to create more Metro [modern ui store] apps.

And I think they should just pay to license the name "Metro". That's what most people I know call it anyway.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:50 AM   #4
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
...BTW: Windows 9 (or whatever they are calling it) is most likely going to allow you to run Metro apps windowed on your desktop....
I certainly hope so. A few apps open automatically on the desktop when selected from Metro already, but as I'm one of those who likes to play solitaire when a video or audio selection is playing, it would be nice to have the games back on the desktop.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:07 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I certainly hope so. A few apps open automatically on the desktop when selected from Metro already, but as I'm one of those who likes to play solitaire when a video or audio selection is playing, it would be nice to have the games back on the desktop.
That's because they are legacy style desktop apps, not modern apps.

When you say "selected from Metro" you mean Selected from "Start Screen". Which is just a launcher. Both modern and legacy apps have start tiles, since the start screen basically replaces the start menu.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:28 PM   #6
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, simply think of the Tiles start screen as the old Start menu and you're in good shape. Plus with 8.1 we got a useful menu for a right click on the start button, and the option to start in Desktop mode without any additional third-party apps.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:35 PM   #7
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
That's because they are legacy style desktop apps, not modern apps.

When you say "selected from Metro" you mean Selected from "Start Screen". Which is just a launcher. Both modern and legacy apps have start tiles, since the start screen basically replaces the start menu.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Yes, simply think of the Tiles start screen as the old Start menu and you're in good shape. Plus with 8.1 we got a useful menu for a right click on the start button, and the option to start in Desktop mode without any additional third-party apps.
Ah! Well, then; I'm not too fond of the new apps. They seem very limited in comparison to what I do on the desktop.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 04:47 PM   #8
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Oh, I agree. The ModernUI apps are pretty lame. Useful for a tablet, when what you want to do is use it for one task, and that one not too demanding. But when push comes to shove? I spend nearly zero time in the Modern UI side of my Win81 desktop.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:27 PM   #9
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
If you like playing solitaire, check out:

Solitaire City: http://www.solitairecity.com/

BVS Solitaire Collection: http://www.bvssolitaire.com/

I have both on my computers (Vista & 8.1). Solitaire City has been on all of my computers since about 2004 - it's my go-to game. It also has a free companion program that you can download called Solitaire Setty with allows you to create your own cardsets.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 04:21 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I use the Metro version of Internet Explorer exclusively as the web browser on my Surface Pro. It's much more "touch screen friendly" than running any browser on the desktop.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 01:56 AM   #11
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I use the Metro version of Internet Explorer exclusively as the web browser on my Surface Pro. It's much more "touch screen friendly" than running any browser on the desktop.
For me, it depends. If I want to switch between multiple tabs, I prefer the desktop browser. If its only a single page, the metro browser is handier.

(or if I have to type a lot such as on forums....)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:51 PM   #12
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I haven't used Windows 8, but I've seen Metro, and it's just not suitable for the way I work. I almost never use full screen, but rather have half a dozen different programs up each in its own window in its own location. Essentially, everything has its own hotspot, for me it's the most intuitive way to manage multiple apps and you can't do it in Metro.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 03:28 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Windows 8 will have no impact whatsoever on the way you work. You'll be able to do things just as you do now.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:07 AM   #14
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Windows 8 will have no impact whatsoever on the way you work. You'll be able to do things just as you do now.
Windows 8, sure, but not the new Metro, whatever they call it now, interface.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 07:10 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
Windows 8, sure, but not the new Metro, whatever they call it now, interface.
Just regard it as a "Start" menu. I actually find it much better than the Windows 7 "Start" menu - it's a lot more configurable. You can get a program which will give you back the "traditional" Start menu if you're particularly attached to it.

Tags
metro, windows 8.1