Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 09-12-2012, 06:35 PM   #1
jdanniel
jdanniel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jdanniel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jdanniel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jdanniel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jdanniel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jdanniel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jdanniel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jdanniel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jdanniel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jdanniel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jdanniel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Nexus 7
Is Publishing Rough Drafts for Proofreading on Kindle Store Permissible?

Hello. My question deals with finding the easiest and most practical way to distribute a free self-written e-book to mobile device users.

I'm writing a simple e-book that I want to distribute at absolutely no charge. It's yours; enjoy it.

It will be in two formats: EPUB and MOBI. I'd like my question to focus on Kindle for the moment.

I've created a rough draft of the book, just to test the formatting and design.

It's nothing fancy. I want to share the e-book with people, so they can comment on the design and make suggestions.

Right now, I'm using Dropbox, and putting the books in the PUBLIC folder.

But I'm wondering if it would be easier to put the book in the Kindle Store.

That way, it would be even easier for people using Kindle or Kindle apps to obtain the book. With Dropbox, people would have to know where to download the file to. I don't think that would be necessary with Kindle Store, would it?

So, here's the question: Is it permissible to place rough drafts of books on Kindle Store, via Kindle Direct Publishing? Or is that an area where only final, completed books are accepted?

Is there an area on Kindle Store for test publishing, which is basically what I'd be doing…at least at first?

Or would I be better off using Dropbox until the work is completed, and only then put it in Kindle Store?

Thank you for any feedback. J. Danniel
jdanniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:40 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Sorry, but if I downloaded a free eBook from Amazon and found it to be a rough draft, I'd be calling for your head.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:42 PM   #3
jdanniel
jdanniel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jdanniel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jdanniel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jdanniel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jdanniel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jdanniel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jdanniel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jdanniel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jdanniel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jdanniel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jdanniel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Nexus 7
Well, that's why I specifically asked if there is an area for test publishing.
jdanniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:52 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdanniel View Post
Well, that's why I specifically asked if there is an area for test publishing.
Not that I've ever seen or read about.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:40 PM   #5
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
I think this article from a reviewer pretty much says it all - When I bought your book, I didn't sign up to be your beta reader. I would be annoyed to download a book, even a free one, and find out it was only a rough draft.

I would just keep doing what your doing - distributing the book via dropbox or via your website - and try to get the word out. I wouldn't publish it to Kindle.

Last edited by Suzanna; 09-12-2012 at 09:43 PM.
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:08 PM   #6
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Yes, there sites dedicated to this such as Bookie Jar (if i recall right that is one). Kindle would be a bad move because it would put your worst foot forward in front of the largest possible audience.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:16 AM   #7
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
You could also try putting it up on sites like Fiction Press and Wattpad.
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:01 AM   #8
CTurner
Enthusiast
CTurner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTurner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTurner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTurner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTurner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTurner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTurner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTurner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTurner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTurner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTurner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle for PC
Rough drafts are generally for author's eyes only - or a select group of editors/critiquers. I would polish whatever I had written to the nth degree before putting it out on any public web site. Reason is, as VydorScope said, in not so many words, people will always remember you for your worst writing, and that's irreparable.
CTurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:40 AM   #9
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Rought drafts are for your eyes only, or your loved ones (to include demented Uncle Bert and your drooling 3 year-old nephew), or any flatulent animals sleeping next to your computer.

I would be personally offended if some author perpetrated such a crime on his or her readers. It would show a distinct lack of respect for the craft of writing [re: Inept, lazy, ill-advised, uninformed, ignorant; grammar-challenged].

I would retaliate by personally flogging that author with a feather, and letting the world know that the work in question now resides in the bathroom.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:52 PM   #10
mncowboy
Wanderer
mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, PaperWhite 2
How about using the Ebook Uploads section of MobileRead to get feedback on your book?
mncowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:17 PM   #11
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
If you use Facebook there's lots of writer groups on there. People read each other's stuff and if you're really lucky someone will tear it apart for you. You'll need a pretty thick skin though if you're going to learn anything from it.

Reviewers on Amazon, etc, unless they are other writers, don't usually tell you anything useful. It's ether love it or hate it with them, neither of which helps with improving your story. And reviews are forever, even if you do fix whatever was wrong with it.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:11 PM   #12
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
My betas/editors don't even see my first drafts. I polish it up as best I can before anyone sees it, then I ask for comments.

I certainly wouldn't publish it, and that's what you're doing when you put it up on Amazon, until I was satisfied with it.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:04 PM   #13
DarkScribe
Apprentice Curmudgeon.
DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Touch, Paperwhite, Sony, and Nook.
Let's see. Suppose someone was hungry and wanted a meal. They looked at the local guide and found a choice of thousands of places supplying meals - all at the same low price. Among those thousands was an establishment where the owner admitted that he could not cook, that he wasn't sure whether he had used the right ingredients, that he wasn't sure that the food was edible, BUT he would appreciate you telling him what he had done wrong.

Which would you choose?

It is the same with eBooks, there are thousands of free eBooks out there, why would anyone slog through one that was badly written if they could have one that was popular and entertaining?
DarkScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:09 AM   #14
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I would suggest, jdanniel, that you join a Writer's group and let them constructively tear apart your work.

This will benefit you in two ways:

1) Your writing will improve - if you follow their suggestions AND go with your gut.
2) You will improve as a person, because you'll learn to take constructive criticism.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:23 AM   #15
Jamesabernathyth
James A Bresco
Jamesabernathyth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jamesabernathyth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jamesabernathyth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jamesabernathyth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jamesabernathyth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jamesabernathyth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jamesabernathyth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jamesabernathyth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jamesabernathyth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jamesabernathyth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jamesabernathyth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Is Publishing Rough Drafts for Proofreading on Kindle Store Permissible?

No, is the answer and you could get booted if a customer complains about the poor quality.
I understand what you are trying to achieve here and drop box is fine if an interested party has Drop box installed.You might be better off posting this on the Amazon Kindle user forum page with your blog site or web site web link.If you don't already have a blog site then you really should, as its a great way to invite feedback.
Jamesabernathyth is offline   Reply With Quote