Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 09-22-2009, 10:32 PM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Questions about tweaking The Lost Symbol

I got this for $9.99 at 100% micropay from Fictionwise and am not sure what to do with it. I ran mu usual ereader liberator on it, and was about to tidy up the HTML (a laborious process but generally necessary) when I saw it had images. So I imported it to Calibre as is, and the resulting 'book' is about 1000 pages. Surely that can't be right?

So, are the images vital? Because it they are not, I can strip down the HTML and remove the extraneous line breaks. I'll get plain, but clean text. If they are, then the book will have to stay as is and be 1000 pages, and that seems a little unreasonable

Advice?
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 03:00 PM   #2
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
The images, while not vital, they do play a role in the story. There are a lot of references to symbols throughout the book and I think that you will loose out on the story by taking them out.
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2009, 06:45 PM   #3
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
It is 462 pages in the print edition. So 1000 pages on the reader seems quite accurate to me.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 09:08 PM   #4
Mnementh
Groupie
Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
It is 462 pages in the print edition. So 1000 pages on the reader seems quite accurate to me.
Plus there is also an extra line break/carriage return after every paragraph which even Calibre doesn't remove so that adds to the size.

It looks like this.

It's really quite annoying.

Because you fit less on the page and therefore have to turn it more often.
Mnementh is offline   Reply With Quote