Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-13-2009, 04:10 AM   #1
Croker
Connoisseur
Croker will become famous soon enoughCroker will become famous soon enoughCroker will become famous soon enoughCroker will become famous soon enoughCroker will become famous soon enoughCroker will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Voyage, obv.
PRS-505 - which format to go for, and other queries

I know some of these questions have been asked a few times, but I just want to confirm a few things.

I have a PRS-505, which I dearly love. I've bought a couple of books already, but they were in the ePUB format. Can the DRM on these be removed, though? I'm really worried about them being lost, or what might happen if I change reading device, and would like an open-format backup (if possible).

Secondly, when I want to buy a book that's not available in ePUB or a recognised "Sony Format" (as it were), which format is best? As far as I can tell, I should be going for the lit format, running ConvertLit to remove DRM (so I can back it up), and then Calibre to convert it. Am I right?

Thirdly, I hate books that are poorly formatted - will the formatting be retained if I use Calibre to convert the file?

Finally, what format does Calibre convert a lit file to?

Thanks for your help! I'm otherwise loving the time I'm spending with my Reader, but these are nagging questions to which I'd like to know the answers
Croker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 04:27 AM   #2
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
> ePUB format. Can the DRM on these be removed, though?

Not that I know of, but AIUI, they're associated with your Adobe accountId, not the device itself, so can be read on your PC (Windows, I don't know offhand about Mac/Linux) and could be copied to other devices associated with your Adobe account.

> not available in ePUB or a recognised "Sony Format" (as it were), which format is best?

Correct, LIT seems to be the best option.

> will the formatting be retained if I use Calibre to convert the file?

Yes, although you have the option of importing the unDRMd file into Book Designer & tweaking it by hand if you really want to fine-tune things. I've only needed to do that to fix things that were also wrong in the original LIT file, though.

> Finally, what format does Calibre convert a lit file to?

It includes CLI utilities for converting to both LRF and ePUB. The last time I looked at the GUI, there was a app-wide setting on the preferences that set which of the two would be output by the GUI conversions.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2009, 04:56 AM   #3
Croker
Connoisseur
Croker will become famous soon enoughCroker will become famous soon enoughCroker will become famous soon enoughCroker will become famous soon enoughCroker will become famous soon enoughCroker will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Voyage, obv.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
> ePUB format. Can the DRM on these be removed, though?

Not that I know of, but AIUI, they're associated with your Adobe accountId, not the device itself, so can be read on your PC (Windows, I don't know offhand about Mac/Linux) and could be copied to other devices associated with your Adobe account.

> not available in ePUB or a recognised "Sony Format" (as it were), which format is best?

Correct, LIT seems to be the best option.

> will the formatting be retained if I use Calibre to convert the file?

Yes, although you have the option of importing the unDRMd file into Book Designer & tweaking it by hand if you really want to fine-tune things. I've only needed to do that to fix things that were also wrong in the original LIT file, though.

> Finally, what format does Calibre convert a lit file to?

It includes CLI utilities for converting to both LRF and ePUB. The last time I looked at the GUI, there was a app-wide setting on the preferences that set which of the two would be output by the GUI conversions.
Thanks, Gwyn, that's a big help!

What exactly is "Book Designer", though? I don't think I've come across it thus far. I am a bit of a perfectionist, like, so I may want the option to tinker

Also, as regards the ePUB format and ADE - my suspicion was that the books were tied to the account, so it's nice to have that confirmed. Would that mean, then, were I to buy a new PC, I could copy the files over, reinstall ADE, activate my account on that PC, and then use the books on the new PC?

Finally, two things - where did you get your blue 505? I'd've loved to get that colour, but got the silver from Waterstones in the end. Secondly, where do you usually buy your ebooks? I can see you're in the UK, like me, so I'm curious
Croker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:11 AM   #4
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Book Designer - https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Book_Designer

It's "quirky" (to downright annoying) but there's a couple of Tutorials for it -
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10313 and https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Book...raphical_Guide

ADE - That's my understanding, but I've not really checked, but unless someone does pop up to correct, it's probably correct! :-)

My 505 - I bought it mail-order from B&H in New York around 14 months ago, although I've recently reflashed it to use the UK firmware (then reflashed that to add a few tweaks such as displaying the time and unified title fonts - See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27177 for more info about that)

I get a lot of books from Baen Books/Websubscriptions (SF&F), with some from Fictionwise or Books on Board, with a few from the Essex Online library - http://essex.bookaisle.com/ - which appear to be available to non-Essex residents too).
Old 01-14-2009, 02:20 AM   #5
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
Unfortunately the Essex Online Library is not available to non-residents. Only people who live or work in the area can obtain a card. I think you can obtain a non-residents card from some U.S. libraries for a fee. See wiki for list of libraries.
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2009, 04:38 AM   #6
gwynevans
Wizzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly View Post
Unfortunately the Essex Online Library is not available to non-residents. Only people who live or work in the area can obtain a card.
True, for a card, but when you register online (or at least when I did it) you get an ELAN reference number that works as a library card number for the online library.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:41 AM   #7
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Cool! Thanks! I'm rushing off to try it...

Fabulous!!! It works! Thanks.

Last edited by Curly; 01-14-2009 at 10:07 AM.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:18 AM   #8
lostatsea
lostatsea began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Ok, I give up, how do you register online? I only get the login screen where you need to enter in your library card, I can't find where to do a registration.
lostatsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:04 AM   #9
Curly
I need a holiday!

To register online you need to register for an ELAN card, not a library card. You can register on the Essex County Council website (google essex elan or essex online library). They will email you an ELAN number which you use instead of a library card number.

Good luck!
Old 01-16-2009, 06:25 PM   #10
gwynevans
Wizzard

They don't actually make it easy to find, do they. Try going to http://essexlibraries.essexcc.gov.uk/evs-app/Vubis.csp then clicking on the "If you do not already have a library card, click here to join online" text (which is actually a link).
Old 01-16-2009, 08:56 PM   #11
lostatsea
lostatsea began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Thanks a bunch. I found it after stumbling around their website last night. The link will help out others though.
lostatsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 02:01 AM   #12
Curly
I need a holiday!

Thanks for adding the link gwynevens. I should have thought of that!

Happy reading lostatsea!
Old 01-17-2009, 02:16 AM   #13
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Completely off-topic, but it is interesting (provocatively) that ELAN makes mandatory a response to "ethnic origin".
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 03:45 AM   #14
Curly
I need a holiday!

I wonder if they are trying to collect statistics about who uses their online library to find out if there are particular groups in the community who are not able to access their services. There may be people in Essex who don't use the service because they don't speak English or for other cultural or economic reasons.