Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-22-2014, 11:26 AM   #1
wandalynn
Addict
wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook, Aluratek Libre
Kobo download option gone for new purchases?

Has Kobo gone the way of B&N in dropping the download option for new purchases? I don't see an option to download the book I bought today although the older items in my library still have that option.

And apologies if this has already been asked/addressed on the forum. My search didn't come up with anything but the B&N thread.

ETA: I usually sideload Kobo books to my nook since I don't have a Kobo reader. Anyone know a workaround? TIA
wandalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 11:30 AM   #2
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Lots of discussion of this problem scattered around here on MR, but the best quick overview can be found at the Dear Author blog.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2014, 11:30 AM   #3
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
Regular epubs should still be there but kepubs might not be.
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 11:32 AM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
You may have just run into a kepub-only title. Those won't have a download option. If any of your past purchases still have the download option, this is very likely what happened. As for how to convert such a title (or archive safely), all I will say is obok.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 11:36 AM   #5
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I believe the download option sometimes appears a few days late on brand new releases, too.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2014, 11:59 AM   #6
wandalynn
Addict
wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
You may have just run into a kepub-only title. Those won't have a download option. If any of your past purchases still have the download option, this is very likely what happened. As for how to convert such a title (or archive safely), all I will say is obok.
If that is the problem, is there anyway to see what the ebook format is before purchase?

NM - this question was answered in the Dear Author blog.

I do have an android tablet with the Kobo app so I guess I'll be reading the book on it rather than on an e-ink reader.

ETA: the book I bought is an older release that was coupon eligible.

Last edited by wandalynn; 09-22-2014 at 12:10 PM.
wandalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 12:11 PM   #7
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by wandalynn View Post
If that is the problem, is there anyway to see what the ebook format is before purchase?

I do have an android tablet with the Kobo ap so I guess I'll be reading the book on it rather than on an e-ink reader.

For anyone else who is curious, click the 'Available on these devices' link, if Blackberry is there then it will have a download button for Adobe DRM epub, if it's a kepub only then no Blackberry.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 12:35 PM   #8
kristalana
Groupie
kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Galaxy Tab Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
For anyone else who is curious, click the 'Available on these devices' link, if Blackberry is there then it will have a download button for Adobe DRM epub, if it's a kepub only then no Blackberry.
No, the lack of Blackberry means it's a DRM-free epub (so it's the best one to see when buying a book). The only way to tell if it's a kepub beforehand is to do a Save Preview.
kristalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 12:47 PM   #9
snape
Language Lover
snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.

Device: Current: PRS-350, Kindle PW // Previous: PRS-505, Kindle 1, Kindle 2
Not sure if this is off topic, but is anyone else having trouble completing a purchase at Kobo? I found 2 books that were both a) couponable and b) not kepub, but after going through the PayPal purchase process I just get a Kobo-generated error page. PayPal says I've placed 2 orders but that's as far as anything is going - the account info at Kobo doesn't show the purchase ever occurred. It hasn't been very long (only since earlier this morning) so don't want to get too worked up about it if Kobo typically takes several hours to process everything. I don't remember much of a delay when buying books previously, though it's been at least a year since I've purchased anything there.
snape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 12:51 PM   #10
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by snape View Post
Not sure if this is off topic, but is anyone else having trouble completing a purchase at Kobo? I found 2 books that were both a) couponable and b) not kepub, but after going through the PayPal purchase process I just get a Kobo-generated error page. PayPal says I've placed 2 orders but that's as far as anything is going - the account info at Kobo doesn't show the purchase ever occurred. It hasn't been very long (only since earlier this morning) so don't want to get too worked up about it if Kobo typically takes several hours to process everything. I don't remember much of a delay when buying books previously, though it's been at least a year since I've purchased anything there.
I bought two books there last Thursday. I got an error please try again message and I tried twice more. The funds were deducted (three times) and the books haven't yet appeared in my purchases. I sent off an email to them that same day and have yet to hear back (due to the weekend I hope).
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 12:58 PM   #11
snape
Language Lover
snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.

Device: Current: PRS-350, Kindle PW // Previous: PRS-505, Kindle 1, Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I bought two books there last Thursday. I got an error please try again message and I tried twice more. The funds were deducted (three times) and the books haven't yet appeared in my purchases. I sent off an email to them that same day and have yet to hear back (due to the weekend I hope).
Good to know. I'll not be trying again (I was worried the purchase would be processed multiple times, and your experience bears that out) so hopefully this works and my books actually show up. If not, I'll write off Kobo as a vendor and be done with it. I've already had issues with them in the past and I'm really only initiating these 2 purchases to take advantage of the BPH settlement credit I have with them.

I'll be curious to hear how/when your issues are resolved.

Edited: I just checked my PayPal account and, despite my diligence in going through the purchase process only once for each book, the pending charges from Kobo each appear twice.

Last edited by snape; 09-22-2014 at 01:06 PM.
snape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 01:04 PM   #12
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Good to know. I'll not be trying again (I was worried the purchase would be processed multiple times, and your experience bears that out) so hopefully this works and my books actually show up. If not, I'll write off Kobo as a vendor and be done with it. I've already had issues with them in the past and I'm really only initiating these 2 purchases to take advantage of the BPH settlement credit I have with them.

To be fair I have had some problems before and they have sorted it out. And the amount charged isn't large. I used a coupon and each charge is only $1.63 though that adds up a little bit. I'm hoping they will get back to me and refund the over charge (or at least give me credit if that isn't possible) and of course access to the two books.
Old 09-22-2014, 01:48 PM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I usually hear the "You've got mail" chime of the Kobo receipt hitting my inbox before I even close my browser after purchasing. I don't think I've ever seen the purchase not immediately show up in my library. Too many availability delays were why I switched to Kobo (from B&N) in the first place.

I admittedly don't use PayPal, however, so that may explain the different experiences.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 03:18 PM   #14
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Quote:
Originally Posted by wandalynn View Post

I do have an android tablet with the Kobo app so I guess I'll be reading the book on it rather than on an e-ink reader.

Once you get it to your Android there are still multiple ways to get it to your computer and then, eventually, the reader of your choice.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 12:46 PM   #15
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

Edited: I just checked my PayPal account and, despite my diligence in going through the purchase process only once for each book, the pending charges from Kobo each appear twice.
I think the people at Kobo must be confused. I got an email from them today (finally) and they have no record of my purchase of parts 4 and the final part of "The Island" and made mention of my pre-order of "Wings of Fantasy" as well but they seem to have the two orders mixed together. I had to send jpegs of the pre-order page for the one and of my charges on my bank statement for the other as a means of hopefully getting the mess sorted out.