Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-09-2013, 12:05 PM   #1
nasser
Evangelist
nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many..
Post Kual Button for Amazon apps?

Amazon has a number of E-ink Kindle compatible apps/games for free download on their website..

These get downloaded into /mnt/us/documents/..

I tried making a kual button for one of them : "My Checklist"..

The file is called : "My Checklist_B007L78Z7K.azw2"..

The string at the end(B007L78Z7K) seems to be an identifier which may be different for each user..

I got either Kual json file errors or "unable to start application" error messages..

Since inverted commas are already used for the path in the json file, i tried surrounding the file name again with them.. since there is an embedded space in the file name.. and then with apostrophes.. didn't work..

Any idea..?
nasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:50 PM   #2
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
some form of escaping My\ Checklist_B007L78Z7K.azw2 perhaps.

or 'My Checklist_B007L78Z7K.azw2' I would have to fiddle about and check which one worked.

or the most obvious solution....

Rename it

Last edited by twobob; 08-09-2013 at 12:54 PM.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2013, 01:22 PM   #3
nasser
Evangelist
nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
or the most obvious solution....

Rename it
Did that too.. Copied it to root.. renamed it.. moved it back to /mnt/us/documents/.. Still not visible in both Home screen and Collections Manager.. will try the '\' escaping trick..

Some .azws have an associated .sdr folder.. wonder if absence of that may be an issue..
Old 08-09-2013, 01:27 PM   #4
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have that azw2 myself somewhere.

I'll dig around.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:16 PM   #5
nasser
Evangelist

Escaping too didn't work..
My\ Checklist_B007L78Z7K.azw2.. : gives "Application Error. The selected application could not be started. Please try again".. though Kual didn't complain..

'My Checklist_B007L78Z7K.azw2' and "My Checklist_B007L78Z7K.azw2" didn't work for me either..

Maybe there is a difference in the way Amazon's "official" apps are run..?
Advert
Old 08-09-2013, 11:23 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Yes, there is.

Cf. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...32&postcount=4

(FW 5.x only)

That said, I have no idea if this works under KUAL, but it should, since there are a few buttons like this (the Collections Manager button comes to mind, so check this one out for an example).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 08-10-2013 at 12:03 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:53 PM   #7
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Just IMHO...

(as the title says, just IMHO, but...) don't worry about it. The apps that you have downloaded are only available to a fraction of the audience here. They can only be downloaded in the US because... errm... yeah, oh well... just because... we don't know... but there must be a good reason.

I asked multiple times. Even software produced and owned by Amazon, distributed for free: no way to get it if you don't live in the USA.

Given that it seems to be dongled to your user id too: as much as I appreciate the effort, but it will probably just be useless as a KUAL extension. Sorry. And welcome to the universe where Amazon wants you to be.

EDIT:

Spoiler:

Bruce Springsteen - Born in the USA (live in Barcelona 2003) (Lyrics)

Last edited by ixtab; 08-10-2013 at 03:08 AM.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 02:44 AM   #8
aditya3098
Guru
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Yes, there is.

(FW 5.x only)

That said, I have no idea if this works under KUAL, but it should, since there are a few buttons like this (the Collections Manager button comes to mind, so check this one out for an example).
Yeah that should work
aditya3098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 03:14 AM   #9
nasser
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
They can only be downloaded in the US because... errm... yeah, oh well... just because... we don't know... but there must be a good reason.

I asked multiple times. Even software produced and owned by Amazon, distributed for free: no way to get it if you don't live in the USA.
Strange.. I don't live in the U.S.. and was able to download them.. If i wanted to i'm pretty sure i can purchase the non-free apps too..

All it seems to require is an Amazon user ID..

Maybe this was an earlier Amazon policy which they subsequently relaxed..
Old 08-10-2013, 05:12 AM   #10
nasser
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Yes, there is.

(FW 5.x only)

Thanks, NiLuJe.. that did the trick..

The difference being:
wrong: /usr/bin/lipc-set-prop com.lab126.appmgrd start app://com.lab126.booklet.kindlet/mnt/us/documents/YourKindlet.azw2
(this does work for the collections manager kual button though..)

right: /usr/bin/lipc-set-prop com.lab126.appmgrd start file:///mnt/us/documents/YourKindlet.azw2

In this case, I used: /usr/bin/lipc-set-prop com.lab126.appmgrd start file:///mnt/us/documents/MyChecklist_B007L78Z7K.azw2

I was unable to resolve the issue of embedded space in the filename ("My Checklist..") and renamed it to MyChecklist..

Did various trials with mysterious results.. in one case, i moved the .azw2 file out of the documents folder, but was still able to run it in the non-Kual way.. it appears that the location of the .azw2 file is tracked by the framework..?

p.s: the "B007L78Z7K" seems to be an internal Amazon identifier.. not any user ID.. so it should be the same for everyone who downloads it..

p.p.s: turns out that there is an option for downloading the app via pc.. in this case the downloaded file has the name "My-Checklist.azw2".. no mysterious ID suffixes..
this simplified matters.. so the kual button is ready.. See: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=45

Last edited by nasser; 08-10-2013 at 06:27 AM. Reason: added p.p.s
Old 08-10-2013, 06:23 AM   #11
twobob

Yup, that should do it.

Nice one.

Spaces in filenames on Linux systems?

Ludicrous.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:33 AM   #12
nasser
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
Yup, that should do it.

Nice one.

Spaces in filenames on Linux systems?

Ludicrous.
See p.p.s of my previous post..
They do make available a file without space in the filename..

Last edited by nasser; 08-10-2013 at 06:34 AM. Reason: changed edit to p.p.s
Old 08-10-2013, 06:48 AM   #13
twobob

Ah So the PC version doesn't have spaces. Good info
Old 08-10-2013, 12:05 PM   #14
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasser View Post
Strange.. I don't live in the U.S.. and was able to download them.. If i wanted to i'm pretty sure i can purchase the non-free apps too..

All it seems to require is an Amazon user ID..

Maybe this was an earlier Amazon policy which they subsequently relaxed..
I still can't download any active content from amazon.com. It will only tell me "go away, you must buy your stuff from amazon.de" - where the apps aren't available, of course.

Yes, of course, I could pretend that I moved to the US. But no, I'm not jumping through their hoops. There's no logical reason why they couldn't make their own(!), free(!!) active content available for everyone - and yet, they don't.

Last edited by ixtab; 08-10-2013 at 12:08 PM.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 06:38 AM   #15
twobob

It really is a puzzle.

The Poker game I can understand as it has some online play aspects.
perhaps they would experience a hit in terms of bandwidth for that depending how the packets are signed/contexted. But mainly it an enigma.