Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-13-2011, 12:45 PM   #91
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iMac,iPad3,iPhone5-Kindle Fire,Touch,PaperWhite
Well, I held off on iOS5 just due to the Stanza question. Now that I learn for sure Stanza won't run on 5 I'm glad I didn't update. I'm "sort of" migrating to BlueFire in the meantime. The feature I look for first is a wide variety of font, color, night reading, etc, features.
1611mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 01:02 PM   #92
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirra View Post
Are there any alternative apps that can do this? My number one epub reader criteria is this at the moment. Ideally I'm looking for a label/tagging-like system, aka Stanza's subject and collections, for epub management/categorization. Shelves won't work for me since I'd like to bin my books under multiple subjects and collections and so far all apps implement them like exclusive folders.
On iOS? Haven't found one yet, unfortunately. On Android, though, this appears to be the default behavior of the popular reader apps.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2011, 02:01 PM   #93
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuskyRose View Post
Bummed out, because I don't trust Dropbox or any of the cloud services to store my stuff. I just don't see it as dependable in the long run. I paid for all that extra gig on my devices, and I want to use it!
My approach has ended up being to export my library from Calibre into a folder tree on my hard drive (e.g. /ePub/<Author>/<Series>/<Title>, then I used the "FileBrowser" app to copy the folder (and contents) to my iPad. That did take a while to copy, but I now have them 'locally' on the iPad and FileBrowser can "Open In..." them to send them to the various readers that I have installed.

You're limited to the folder organisation for browsing, and there's only the manual update option for adding books, but I do have access to them when not online...

Last edited by gwynevans; 10-13-2011 at 02:03 PM.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 03:00 PM   #94
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
My approach has ended up being to export my library from Calibre into a folder tree on my hard drive (e.g. /ePub/<Author>/<Series>/<Title>, then I used the "FileBrowser" app to copy the folder (and contents) to my iPad. That did take a while to copy, but I now have them 'locally' on the iPad and FileBrowser can "Open In..." them to send them to the various readers that I have installed.

You're limited to the folder organisation for browsing, and there's only the manual update option for adding books, but I do have access to them when not online...
Thanks for the info. I'll have to look into it.
DuskyRose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 03:17 PM   #95
exador
exador began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
think i've found the best replacement for stanza...

atleast for me, it looks like shubook is the new ebook reader choice for me...
the controls are pretty similar to stanza, and i've been able to import every single last epub book on my hard drive no problem....

let me know what you folks think..give it a shot and let me know if you like it...

(to be clear, it's not as good as stanza, but it appears -to me anyhow- better than the others i've tried today)

-ps, i'm using this on my iphone...
exador is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2011, 03:19 PM   #96
frozennorth
Evangelist
frozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox RIP, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Libra
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1611mac View Post
Well, I held off on iOS5 just due to the Stanza question. Now that I learn for sure Stanza won't run on 5 I'm glad I didn't update. I'm "sort of" migrating to BlueFire in the meantime. The feature I look for first is a wide variety of font, color, night reading, etc, features.
+1

I'm also holding out on the update to keep stanza for now. It's my favorite and most used app.

My phone is the only apple product I have, so wireless syncing isn't important to me. I might give bluefire a try though.
frozennorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 05:02 PM   #97
thomasmorus
Connoisseur
thomasmorus began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505
Cent get i2reader to connect to calibre?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoulden View Post
I'll second this. I've been through and tried just about every ebook reader in the App Store (free and paid), and keep coming back to i2reader. As for features it seems to have all of the bases covered: multiple viewing modes (i.e. night mode, daytime, etc) plus user created modes, supports Calibre in both web mode and OPDS, custom dictionaries, wide book format support, custom tap zones, brightness support, etc.

I've come across a few bugs, but nothing major. The biggest issue that comes to mind right now is the horrid method they use for customizing the display modes. It's uncanny how they don't realize how broke it is in use. Don't get me wrong - it works, but it's next to impossible to reproduce your efforts from one setting to the next (all sliders, no fixed/variable numerical values).

I have a huge wish list of tweaks and such that I'd like to see, but the developers aren't what I would call "responsive". In fact, from what I've dug up, I believe it's written by a third party, and marketed to the App Store by a software house that mostly does Mac apps (Unsanity.com).

Aside from the price, I've never quite understood why it doesn't get more coverage/love here.
Any Idea ?

Thanks
thomasmorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 02:00 AM   #98
ArQangel
ArQangel began at the beginning.

Device: IPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by exador View Post
when i searched for ARCReader, all i could find was a mapping application....
Its here
Code:
http://arcreader.fieldman.org/
But I use it purely for CBR/CBZ files so not tried it with other types of books.

ArQ
ArQangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 03:15 AM   #99
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by minot578 View Post
found something on the lexcycle site that lets you recover stanza books from your itunes backup....

http://www.lexcycle.com/content/stan...k-restore-tool
Thanks so much for that, I'll give it a whirl. I havent deleted Stanza off my devices because I am hopeful for an update... but at least I can retrieve the books.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:18 AM   #100
foosion
Connoisseur
foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Pixel 4a
What's the best way to get books from my computer to Bluefire (my current favorite) on my ipad? Start a server on the computer and download with Safari? Get a dropbox, sugarsync or some such account, upload to that and download with the ipad app? Something else?

Is there any way to use the Calibre server?

How about ios 5 wifi syncing?

Based on quick testing, Bluefire looks the nicest. I didn't like Kobo formatting. The first ebup I tried loaded to ibooks wouldn't open. I tried converting in Calibre to mobi, but safari wouldn't download it.

Last edited by foosion; 10-14-2011 at 08:28 AM.
foosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:14 AM   #101
evanbernstein
evanbernstein began at the beginning.

Device: iphone, ipad, Marvin
the best stanza replacement I've found so far

I also panicked the other day when iOS 5 broke Stanza, my most beloved app. So I tried a few out and the one that I've found that I like the best so far is MegaReader http://www.megareader.net/

The developer has been posting on this thread here http://getsatisfaction.com/stanza/topics/ios_5_issues and offered up free codes (while they last) to ex-stanza users. You can also demo out the app by downloading the free version of QuickReader (which is the same app, just with speed reading capabilities added). So you can see what all the settings you can mess with are in the app.

You can see on the thread on getsatisfaction above how the developer, Patrick, is responding quickly to missing features. He has already told me that on the short list are:
- an option for paragraph indention
- an option for paragraph between paragraphs

He also wants to implement:
- sliding up and down for brightness. His response "This seems to be the most popular request. I never knew it was so important!". I don't know how hard/easy it is, so it might not be the short-short list.

I told him a bunch of things that I loved about stanza (seeing the grey bar at the bottom of the screen to show progress, showing progress of books from the bookshelf/library) and he thought they sounded like nice features to add at some point.

So, so far, this is the app I'm using, and would gladly have paid $2 for it. So please use the contact page on his website and let him know what features you want so we can all have the Stanza replacement we are looking for!
evanbernstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:33 AM   #102
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanbernstein View Post

He also wants to implement:
- sliding up and down for brightness. His response "This seems to be the most popular request. I never knew it was so important!". I don't know how hard/easy it is, so it might not be the short-short list.
That depends on whether Apple actually released that API to 3rd party developers-I remember when iBooks was first released, it was the only app that had true in-app brightness control. Hopefully Apple has released that private API, so he can implement it!
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:36 AM   #103
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I've just bought megareader too, but it does not present itself in the list of apps in itunes which will share files or which can have files dragged to them. I paid for it before I knew there were free codes, but oh well, no matter. For now, I'm going to use kobo for its night mode. Even in the daytime I prefer light text on dark background. The slide up and down thing to make it darker or brighter would be good. There are so many things about Stanza I miss... quite apart from it just being there. dammit.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 03:27 PM   #104
kirra
kirra began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
On iOS? Haven't found one yet, unfortunately. On Android, though, this appears to be the default behavior of the popular reader apps.
Yeah on iOS. Ugh. That's disappointing to hear. Thanks for responding.
kirra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 05:50 PM   #105
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iMac,iPad3,iPhone5-Kindle Fire,Touch,PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
I've just bought megareader too, but it does not present itself in the list of apps in itunes which will share files or which can have files dragged to them. I paid for it before I knew there were free codes, but oh well, no matter. For now, I'm going to use kobo for its night mode. Even in the daytime I prefer light text on dark background. The slide up and down thing to make it darker or brighter would be good. There are so many things about Stanza I miss... quite apart from it just being there. dammit.
RE: MegaReader and iTunes
You don't need iTunes! Just fire up Calibre, turn on the content server, and your Calibre Library will appear as a WiFI catalog in the Book Catalogs section. You can then view your Calibre library in MegaReader by Tags, Source, Author, Title, Newest, etc and download your selection over WiFi. Mine worked first time. I had to do nothing.

Last edited by 1611mac; 10-14-2011 at 06:15 PM.
1611mac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bluefire, ios, stanza