Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-20-2011, 08:38 AM   #181
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
I did mention this before, but interesting that a major UK bookstore (Waterstones) seem to have stopped selling 650, only 350, - plus a few other makes - instead they headline the new iRiver, WiFi & 3g , price £99 , which undercuts everyone I think.......
Whether it was because of unavailability, product problems, problems with consumer's complaints, dunno....
By the way, I just got an update from Sony.
Without me asking/chasing/buying.................
Wow.

Last edited by carpetmojo; 03-20-2011 at 08:38 AM. Reason: typo
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:49 AM   #182
Doogman
Connoisseur
Doogman has learned how to read e-booksDoogman has learned how to read e-booksDoogman has learned how to read e-booksDoogman has learned how to read e-booksDoogman has learned how to read e-booksDoogman has learned how to read e-booksDoogman has learned how to read e-booksDoogman has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nook ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by lila55 View Post
It must have cost money to develop the product, then why not sell it? The PRS-650 has been more or less unavailable ever since before Christmas - being able to buy one feels like a lottery winning. If Sony does not care about making money from it, why did they produce it at all?
Yeah, exactly, development IS the big money. People seem to be bending over backwards here to cast Sony in a good light, but it's much more sane to go with the "rocks for brains" argument. I'm not even sure if they sold alot of these things, because where would you buy them? I don't think many of the big-box stores carries the x50 line. I ended up buying my 350 on Newegg.

Normally I wouldn't care, I bought my 350 knowing that Sony would provide minimal support. Owning my 350 for 4 months now, I still don't like the lighted cover and the font scaling is poor, but I can make it do what I want for now and there's always the Hacked firmware for the future. I was looking at buying a 650 for my mother as she doesn't need the portability of the 350 and the slightly larger screen wouldn't hurt. I'm just amazed that half of 2011 will be shot until MAYBE we see some product. I hope they at least throw-in a free cover.
Doogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2011, 09:09 AM   #183
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
I did mention this before, but interesting that a major UK bookstore (Waterstones) seem to have stopped selling 650, only 350, - plus a few other makes - instead they headline the new iRiver, WiFi & 3g , price £99 , which undercuts everyone I think.......
Whether it was because of unavailability, product problems, problems with consumer's complaints, dunno....
By the way, I just got an update from Sony.
Without me asking/chasing/buying.................
Wow.
They started selling the iRiverStory 3G here, too. It is only because of the tying in with their ebook shops they are displaying it right up front to take advantage of the follwing up business selling ebooks this way. With a Sony people will not as likely shop with them as those who have free 3G and can download their books without tethering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogman View Post
Yeah, exactly, development IS the big money. People seem to be bending over backwards here to cast Sony in a good light, but it's much more sane to go with the "rocks for brains" argument. I'm not even sure if they sold alot of these things, because where would you buy them? I don't think many of the big-box stores carries the x50 line. I ended up buying my 350 on Newegg.
The thing is they are a global brand and sold throughout the world. Here and I think on the entire continent they are sold absolutly everywhere. The fact they might not have as many selling points in your neighborhood doesn't proof anything. I mean I never saw a Kindle anywhere, to assume Kindles aren't sold would be quite stupid, wouldn't it? The same is true for your assumption.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 09:21 AM   #184
lila55
Fanatic
lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360° , iPhone 5, PRS-650, Sony PRS-T2, Sony PRS-T3, Tolino
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
The thing is they are a global brand and sold throughout the world. Here and I think on the entire continent they are sold absolutly everywhere. The fact they might not have as many selling points in your neighborhood doesn't proof anything. I mean I never saw a Kindle anywhere, to assume Kindles aren't sold would be quite stupid, wouldn't it? The same is true for your assumption.
Here on MR people from all over the world have been lamenting the unavailability of the PRS-650. You are right, Sony is a global brand, but also this shortage seems to be a global problem, not one pertaining to a certain neighborhood.
lila55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 09:53 AM   #185
Doogman
Connoisseur
Doogman has learned how to read e-booksDoogman has learned how to read e-booksDoogman has learned how to read e-booksDoogman has learned how to read e-booksDoogman has learned how to read e-booksDoogman has learned how to read e-booksDoogman has learned how to read e-booksDoogman has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nook ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
All right, you seem to live in Germany, is the 650 in stock and available for sale right now?
Doogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2011, 10:15 AM   #186
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Lila, I need to know where I lost you in order to make myself clear.

Doogman said he thinks Sony is just too stupid to produce (to put it blandly). I said, maybe they sold more than they anticipated with their introduction to the Japanese market and the fact that I think there was a higher demand during holiday season than anyone bargained for.

This was (part of) Doogmans answer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogman View Post
I'm not even sure if they sold alot of these things, because where would you buy them? I don't think many of the big-box stores carries the x50 line.
This was what I was answering to. The fact that no big shop out in his vinicity carries them has no effect on their sales in other places or maybe online etc. and does not say anything about their sales figures.

I have not indicated they are for sale in shops right now, I said
Quote:
The fact they might not have as many selling points in your neighborhood doesn't proof anything.
Between the amount of units for sale and the amount of shops who sell this item is a difference. So I don't know what this is supposed to mean in this regard:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lila55 View Post
Here on MR people from all over the world have been lamenting the unavailability of the PRS-650. You are right, Sony is a global brand, but also this shortage seems to be a global problem, not one pertaining to a certain neighborhood.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:28 PM   #187
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Now that I finally have the money to buy a Sony reader, the 650 is out of stock yet again. I'm going to call my local Best Buy and see if they have any in stock (I'm not holding my breath though). The prices on eBay are ridiculous. The sellers are taking advantage of the lack of availability to raise their prices.

ETA: Just called Best Buy and the associate said they're not selling them anymore.

Last edited by faithbw; 03-22-2011 at 05:31 PM.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 05:41 PM   #188
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithbw View Post
Now that I finally have the money to buy a Sony reader, the 650 is out of stock yet again. I'm going to call my local Best Buy and see if they have any in stock (I'm not holding my breath though). The prices on eBay are ridiculous. The sellers are taking advantage of the lack of availability to raise their prices.

ETA: Just called Best Buy and the associate said they're not selling them anymore.
You could go for a PRS-950 instead.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 06:06 PM   #189
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You could go for a PRS-950 instead.
Yeah, but it's bit out of my budget right now. Hmm, I wonder if I can get a cheaper one on ebay. Off to look.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 06:25 PM   #190
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Right now, SonyStyle on line shows the red 650s in stock...that could change in a couple of minutes though!

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 06:45 PM   #191
ddriver
ddriver began at the beginning.

Device: bebook neo or samsung e60
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
Right now, SonyStyle on line shows the red 650s in stock...that could change in a couple of minutes though!

dordale
Thanks,

Just ordered one for the wife. She'll like red. Google search always leads to the black page for PRS 650, which is not available.

That Sony website has issues.
ddriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 03:29 PM   #192
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Just checked again...right now both the black and red 650s are in stock.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 05:49 PM   #193
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
If there's a Borders closing near you, check it out. They are selling off their EBR stock at a discount.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:27 PM   #194
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I'm really tempted to get a 650, but I'm gonna wait and see what comes along in October. The 350 will do til then.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:27 AM   #195
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
I'm really tempted to get a 650, but I'm gonna wait and see what comes along in October. The 350 will do til then.
I am tempted, too, but I guess it is only because everyone wants one now and I get a feeling I should have one, too.

Also you are right: Plenty the rewards will be for those who know how to wait! Even though I am hard pressed to imagine ways to improve my loved one.