Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: How do you feel about DRM?
DRM doesn't bother me. As long as I can read a book on a computer I don't care. 18 6.41%
DRM is evil and should be done away with entirely. 200 71.17%
Quit whining about DRM, it's a dead horse. 13 4.63%
If DRM were a dead horse, DRM would be dead. 9 3.20%
DRM is a useful tool that prevents piracy. 4 1.42%
Some other option not thought of for this poll 37 13.17%
Voters: 281. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-06-2012, 04:44 PM   #16
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
DRM fails to prevent piracy and is an unnecessary restriction on fair use. I strip it the minute I purchase a book, and I worry that tomorrow things will change and I won't be able to strip it.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 04:51 PM   #17
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
DRM, in theory, is a potentially useful and effective tool against theft. However, since today's ebook DRM doesn't work, it is neither useful nor effective.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:04 PM   #18
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
The problem with DRM is that it can't ever really work. Whatever can be viewed can be copied.

All you can ever really do is irritate legitimate users and slow down unauthorised copiers a bit.

The thing about digital media is that if you try to use some technical means to make it hard to copy, you're only making it hard to make the first copy.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:07 PM   #19
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Current DRM is a minor annoyance to those that care about it.
The masses don't care.
Those that care also know to avoid it or remove it.
That basically makes it irrelevant.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:12 PM   #20
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
I don't think it's evil but it should be done away with.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:18 PM   #21
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I don't care one way or the other about DRM. It doesn't hinder my reading.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:29 PM   #22
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
I wish that DRM removal could be obvious for Linux users. I've found some work arounds under wine, but I find that blog that we're all supposed to google confusing, which leads to dead links, and simply saying "Linux users will find it easy to change the code to plug in"... well, no.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:39 PM   #23
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
The only way that DRM could work is if the book was unreadable by human eyes. Of course, then it wouldn't be of any use to anyone. If I wanted to, I could take advantage of the analog hole, and put the e-reader on a scanner, or take repeated snapshots of my computer screen. Run an OCR on these scanned images, and I would have the book.

It might delay the book getting on the torrent sites by a day perhaps one day.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:51 PM   #24
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Not evil, pathetic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozric View Post
I wouldn't say that DRM is "evil," but I do think it should be done away with entirely.
Me agree.

Do they think they'll make me buy a kindle?

Actually, the old myth peddled by Amazon etc.. that DRM is an anti-piracy measure is surely rubbish. You can load it onto your computer with, for example, K4PC - available free from them - and there you have it, do what you want with it - can't you ? Pirate away......
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:05 PM   #25
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
Yes, pathetic is how I would describe it too. I think it just encourages people to pirate because it irritates them. These days I only buy non-DRM music and books. This way I can store them and re-use on any new computer or device as I see fit. Just like I can read my old p-books or listen to CD's. Because I "own" them I tend to value them more and keep them for use only in our household and I also feel much more "brand loyalty" to the places where I buy them.
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:35 PM   #26
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
I wish that DRM removal could be obvious for Linux users. I've found some work arounds under wine, but I find that blog that we're all supposed to google confusing, which leads to dead links, and simply saying "Linux users will find it easy to change the code to plug in"... well, no.
Strange, isn't it? Those open source de-drm tools are all written using other open source tools (python, etc), leaning on open source software (calibre), but many of them don't work in Linux because often you have to have a Windows-only reader installed.

Therefore, drm in this case forces me to have a Windows (or maybe a Mac) computer at hand, or I won't be able to read my books. That in itself makes drm evil, as it prevents me to use my OS of choice. (And not only drm.... Many other software packages that I *need* for which there is no alternative force me to keep using Windows. I don't have any problems with Windows, but I like the Unix/Linux philosophy better.)
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:23 PM   #27
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Well, not knowing how to remove DRM isn't something I worry too much about right now. I figure eventually the time will come if I need to. I have a bunch of Kobo free books that I was able to still download on my Sony reader and that works for now.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:23 PM   #28
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Strange, isn't it? Those open source de-drm tools are all written using other open source tools (python, etc), leaning on open source software (calibre), but many of them don't work in Linux because often you have to have a Windows-only reader installed.
In most cases that is how the DRM was circumvented: by working with a legally-purchased ebook running in the appropriate reading app.

And since Linux has a bit of a shortage of commercial reading apps there isn't much for the scripts to work with to secure the keys.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:53 PM   #29
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Yes, and therefore, the implemented drm forces me to use a certain application to get the book onto my reader, which in turn forces me to use Windows. (Or a Mac, which is *completely* out of the question.)
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:15 PM   #30
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
DRM obviously doesn't stop pirates. It is a pretty useless pain in the you-know-what that annoys paying customers. I wouldn't be buying ebooks if I could not remove it, but since I can I am not getting all upset about it.

I have always felt that watermarking was the right way to protect ebooks.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drm