Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-30-2010, 10:28 PM   #1
bmacaskill
Enthusiast
bmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3
Why would you need a Kobo case or screen protector?

I was amazed to find that my Kobo was very robust.

I carry it around in a shoulder bag, and I find that as long as it's between two file folders, or even between two sheets of paper, it's fine. I've dropped it several times, and it hasn't lost my page yet ;-)

I hate to say it, but I'm far more worried about my iPhone (CDN$700). I always worry it'll fall into a toilet or onto concrete, whereas the Kobo seems (a) a little more disposable (CDN$150), much more robust, and (b) something that seems -- by its very nature -- less likely to encounter toilet or concrete.

I'd never take my iPhone to a beach, but I'd take my Kobo. I don't think sand could hurt it, I would bet it would take a little water.

Does anyone really think the Kobo needs a case? I mean, it's so cool whilst naked. My iPhone is cooler naked, but I can't risk it.
bmacaskill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:37 PM   #2
techie42
Zealot
techie42 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: KOBO and iPad
I worry about screen scratches or bus rides that seem like a roller coasters.

I have a teenage daughter that has managed to break or cripple a number of high tech gadgets (mp3 players/mp4 players/ cell phones/cd-players/numerous head phones of differing types and brands.)

She has a 'gift' for stress testing.
techie42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2010, 10:48 PM   #3
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Quote:
I'd never take my iPhone to a beach, but I'd take my Kobo. I don't think sand could hurt it, I would bet it would take a little water.
Nope, it's not waterproof!

I suggest finding a way to cover the USB port and the SD card slot. They certainly would let water inside the case. And there isn't really any sealing between the screen and the case.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:56 PM   #4
bmacaskill
Enthusiast
bmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheese

But you have to admit, you'd be a lot less worried about a $149 Kobo, with what seems like a very robust screen, than you would an iPhone.

And I can't help but think that the Kobo is a little more resistant to a drop or two than the iPhone, which reportedly has an internal moisture strip that has reacted to steam in a bathorrom.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:59 PM   #5
bmacaskill
Enthusiast

It just seems that the e-ink surface -- whatever they call it -- is much tougher than something like an iPhone screen.
Advert
Old 06-30-2010, 11:44 PM   #6
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kobo
People like to buy stuff
wrenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 02:03 AM   #7
Katdragon
Connoisseur
Katdragon began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo (currently out of commission), Kindle 3
Considering that AU$200 is quite a lot of money for me, I'm willing to shell out on items that will be cheaper in the long run than replacing my Kobo.

My Kobo does look good nekkid ('specially now that I've got a funky gelaskin on it) but screen protectors won't mask that, and the correct case won't hide the skin (I'm looking for that one now!)
Katdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 02:06 AM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Can't see as you'd need a screen protector (haven't needed one on any of my devices), but a cover would be a must IMO if you're taking it 'out and about'. The screen is glass after all and breakable (some would say they're fairly fragile).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 02:29 AM   #9
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
Screen Protectors and Cases? YES!

It takes just one "error." Drop your keys into your briefcase ... toss a device onto what you thought was an empty car seat ... carry too many items at once, and scrape a device's screen ...

I have done it myself. On my GPS unit in the car, there's a one-inch scratch right in the middle of the screen. I kick myself every time I look at the screen, remembering how stupid I was to let it happen. BUT - the scratch is actually on a Zagg Products Invisible Shield screen protector, and NOT actually my GPS' screen. I'll get around to replacing it some day.

I use screen protectors on my digital cameras ... GPS units ... cell phones ... iPads and touch devices ... and my eReaders. To me, it is "cheap insurance" from my errors. Twenty-five bucks is well worth it to NOT have a screen on a $1000 camera protected ... and even for a $150 eReader, IMHO. And all price ranges of my devices inbetween.

Protective cases? Very similar arguments from me. A slipcase or book-like case on my eReader just makes me "respect" it more when taking it out of the house. I am not anally-retentive, but it would bug me to see a scratch on such an item that I COULD have protected. And to see it each and every day?

Clint Bradford
Mira Loma CA US
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 03:09 AM   #10
Cyberman tM
Evangelist
Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Inkbook Prime; Icarus Illumina;ImcoV6l;EB600;Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmacaskill View Post
I carry it around in a shoulder bag, and I find that as long as it's between two file folders, or even between two sheets of paper, it's fine.
That's just the point - you have to keep it surrounded by something.
A special casing can't be shook off that easy.
My eReader sits in my jacket - next to my keys. Without casing, I doubt the screen would survive.
(Of course, without casing, I'd never put it there in the first place.)

I use a transparent DVD cover as casing, so the screen is visible through it - never tried reading, though, but I think it still looks neat.
Cyberman tM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 03:16 AM   #11
artificial
Groupie
artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kobo eReader
I bought a case for three reasons:

1. Protect screen from scratches. The eInk screen seems fairly scratch resistant, but I'd rather not put it to the test.
2. To clip my light to.
3. I like to accessorise my new gadgets. (See point 2!)
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 03:20 AM   #12
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
I don't use screen protectors for my e-ink devices, since I never touch the screen... I do use screen protectors on touch screen devices...

I would never take an e-reader to the beach... I don't think I'd take myself there... but if I did, my mobile phone would stay in my bag...

I'm not overly pedantic with my things, but I've never even chipped a cup in my 60 years...
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:55 AM   #13
EtherealWinter
The Omega and Alpha
EtherealWinter began at the beginning.

Mmm... because I've already broken one of the screens from the pressure of objects in my bag pushing up against the screen. Luckily Borders gave me a new one for free.
EtherealWinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 02:43 PM   #14
JPenguin
Connoisseur
JPenguin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo EReader, Kobo for Palm Pre
I've got 2 hair-line cracks on the white casing of my Kobo, one on each side of the logo. They're really hair-line, it's difficult to see them in a lot of light but they can be felt with a fingernail. I'm a bit bummed about it but not really sure how I got them.

It hasn't been dropped or mistreated. I had let my brother borrow it while he was waiting for his black Kobo and he left it in his car while at work which got pretty hot, I don't think it has been quite as solid since that . . . . so my advice is don't leave the ereader out in the sun for really long periods.
JPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:36 PM   #15
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmacaskill View Post
-- by its very nature -- less likely to encounter toilet or concrete.
I dunno. I'd be much more likely to use my Kobo while sitting on the throne than my cellphone.

Because talking to someone on the phone while you're...you know...just seems a little creepy.
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo;case;naked