Notices

Old 10-09-2008, 05:33 AM   #1
pekos
pekos began at the beginning.

Device: cygen gen3
problem with firmware upgrade

I have just received my cybook gen3 and noticed it had the old firmware
(ver 1.0)

So I thought its a good idea to upgrade to the latest.
I followed the steps , I placed the update_kernel on my sd card
, I turned on the device again, but I just could not see the kernel file in the
"library view". I know that the sd card works because I put some ebooks
there already and I can see them.

So the question is , why I dont see the update_kernel file in the main file browser screen? Is this normal?
pekos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 05:35 AM   #2
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekos View Post
So the question is , why I dont see the update_kernel file in the main file browser screen? Is this normal?
Yes it is normal. And you should not put the firmware file in the eBook folder. It should be in the top. And you should read the instructions on how to update again.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2008, 05:39 AM   #3
pekos
pekos began at the beginning.

Device: cygen gen3
Thanks for the reply,
Of course I put the firmware file in the root of the sd card. I also used two different sd cards with the same result. I could see the ebboks but not the firmware file.
pekos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 05:41 AM   #4
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Thanks for the reply,
Of course I put the firmware file in the root of the sd card. I also used two different sd cards with the same result. I could see the ebboks but not the firmware file.
In library view you only see the files in the eBook directory. So there is no reason to expect to see the firmware file. Read the instructions of which buttons to press during boot to upgrade.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 05:51 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Thanks for the reply,
The library view only shows eBooks; the "update_kernel" file is not an eBook.

To start the reflash process, restart your Gen3, and as soon as the initial splash screen appears, press and hold in the central button of the 4-way navigation control. Keep it pressed in until the screen flashes white, and then let it go. The update process will then start.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert