Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 08-05-2008, 07:41 AM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
RTFs on the PRS-500

Can someone give me an RTF file that uses all the features of the format (including pictures and TOC)? I want to forward it to Sony as an example of what doesn't work on the PRS-500.

Also, is there one or multiple standards for this file format? Are these extra features nonstandard additions to the file format?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 08:00 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Can someone give me an RTF file that uses all the features of the format (including pictures and TOC)? I want to forward it to Sony as an example of what doesn't work on the PRS-500.

Also, is there one or multiple standards for this file format? Are these extra features nonstandard additions to the file format?
Don't just forward this as what doesn't work for the 500, but also the 505. I believe that the RTF viewer is the asme in the 500 & 505.

All you have to do to see what doesn't work is create links in the RTF and add in graphics. They won't work.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2008, 08:09 AM   #3
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Here's the latest version spec from Microsoft:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...6-6B5396A18A2B
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 12:42 PM   #4
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Hi Nate,
I've attached a very simple RTF. With an image, Table of Content (TOC) and some text.

Just a note the TOC shows up, but it is not hyperlink enabled.

NOTE: This is also a PRS-505 issue.

=X=
Attached Files
File Type: rtf SimpleRTF.rtf (52.9 KB, 340 views)

Last edited by =X=; 08-06-2008 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Updated description/Updated emphasis
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 01:58 PM   #5
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
If you have Microsoft Word or Open Word (free download) you can create a document with TOC, hyperlinks, images, text, etc. very easily.Maybe import or scan in & edit the Sony manual to use as an example. If you want to do that, I can do it for you but it will be fairly low on my priorities.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2008, 03:33 PM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
igorsk, slayda, =X=, Thank You.

I have MSWord 2002, and it chokes on most RTFs. The one offered above worked, but I discovered editing it in Wordpad screws it up. I also have OpenOffice, but hadn't thought of using it.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 05:33 PM   #7
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
igorsk, slayda, =X=, Thank You.

I have MSWord 2002, and it chokes on most RTFs. The one offered above worked, but I discovered editing it in Wordpad screws it up. I also have OpenOffice, but hadn't thought of using it.
You could start with a .DOC file with Word 2002 if that would help and save as .RTF.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 06:49 PM   #8
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Two days ago I downloaded the MS Plugin that turns a Word Document to a LIT file.
RMR (Read in Microsoft Reader)
This is a plug-in tool for MS Word that turns a doc, or any import file) to a LIT file. This tool works fantastically!

It is a good workaround for folks that like their RTF content.

I suppose another tool is MobiCreate works, but having a tool built into the word process makes it very trivial to convert.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 12:15 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
RMR is ancient! I'm a little surprised that it still works with current versions of Word .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote