Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-26-2015, 12:16 AM   #1
borhan.ur
borhan.ur began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 2 (2014)
Lightbulb Google Keep for Kindle PW

Since last year I've been using Google Keep. And the no. 1 reason I wanted to buy an android phone is to able to keep notes on the fly (and offline) and syncing it to my desktop. (I know there probably some good alternative out there).

But instead of an android I ended up purchasing a Kindle PW2 (2014). I have leafpad there (and other apps with KUAL). But I really want to make Google Keep a native app on my Kindle. Although I'm a noob in developing, with you guy's help, I want to contribute the amount of time and concentration it takes to make this work.

MY GOAL: Compiling the chrome version (I guess HTML5) of Google Keep into a native Linux app,
or finding a lite native wrapper application to run this Chrome extension in Kindle...
being able to open it as Kindle Extension,
being able to keep notes offline,
being able to write notes with native keyboard without internet,
being able to sync notes with WiFi available,
being able to do this in such a way that I can make future updates of the extensions work in same way.

MY PROGRESS: Not much. That's why I'm asking for your guidelines.

Wanted to try fogger https://launchpad.net/fogger
but probably that ppa isn't working for me.
I hope there are some packages which can compile this kind of apps in native GTK app.

STUFFS I HAVE OR I CAN:
1. Kindle PaperWhite 2 new variant. 5.6.1.0.6, couldn't resist updating and lost my root access. MKK Kindlets and KUAL Extensions still working (without root access).
2. Desktop with Linux Mint 17.1 installed. (5 months in Linux) (win8.1 in old HDD)
3. Ability to work hard toward my goals.
4. Lots of lots of googling.
5. Able to read and tweak codes and try every opportunity I get.

So, I want you guy's to guide me so that i can start working immediately on this project.

Last edited by borhan.ur; 02-27-2015 at 01:46 AM.
borhan.ur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 12:34 AM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
As long as you can get it running as a native linux application, you should be able to cross-compile it just fine. The most important thing at the moment is running the hotfix linked in the jailbreak thread, to update your jailbreak to the latest version with gandalf for elevating to root (KUAL 2.5 will make use of this and pass it on to extensions ).
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2015, 02:03 AM   #3
borhan.ur

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
As long as you can get it running as a native linux application, you should be able to cross-compile it just fine.
That's what my problem really is. This app is now on Chrome extension. No idea how to compile, cross-compile or run this as native app. Maybe you could suggest a wrapper application to run this on gtk.
using chrome to run this is definitely a bad idea.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:37 AM   #4
Dexmaster
Connoisseur
Dexmaster might easily be mistaken for a TexanDexmaster might easily be mistaken for a TexanDexmaster might easily be mistaken for a TexanDexmaster might easily be mistaken for a TexanDexmaster might easily be mistaken for a TexanDexmaster might easily be mistaken for a TexanDexmaster might easily be mistaken for a TexanDexmaster might easily be mistaken for a TexanDexmaster might easily be mistaken for a TexanDexmaster might easily be mistaken for a TexanDexmaster might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle PW5 (11th gen, 6.8in)
There is Google Keep Add-on for Firefox, so I think there is a possibility to add it to Midori(which you can launch with JB + KUAL) but it needs some work, and Midory has older version of gecko it must be configured accordingly.

P.S. But it's possible, I'm not 100% sure about background updating and stuff, but after some specific launcher changes, maybe even that could be done ))...

Last edited by Dexmaster; 02-26-2015 at 06:41 AM.
Dexmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 09:21 AM   #5
borhan.ur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexmaster View Post
There is Google Keep Add-on for Firefox
That add-on is just a shortcut to Google Keep web url http://drive.google.com/keep
and that will not allow me to write down notes while I'm offline.

btw, thanks for the reply...
Advert
Old 02-26-2015, 09:34 AM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by borhan.ur View Post
That add-on is just a shortcut to Google Keep web url http://drive.google.com/keep
and that will not allow me to write down notes while I'm offline.

btw, thanks for the reply...
Try this for various note taking chores:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=225860

If you have trouble with it under 5.6.x, let us know (in its thread above).
- - - -
Well, we know that Collections Manager isn't going to work as expected under 5.6.x - but you can fork Aeris' repository and update the menu package with an integration of LibrarianSync.

Also, you should be able to use our build of Cadaver to sync your local files with nearly any of the major cloud storage providers.
You might want to integrate whatever scripting you come up with for Cadaver with her menu also.

- - - -

I.E: We already have most of the parts of what you want to do - you just need to get them to play nicely with each other.

- - - - - -

**AND** -
As posted earlier - be sure to run the "hotfix" to protect your jailbreak under 5.6.x and restore its full functions.
Also, update your KUAL to v-2.5 and update your backdoor lock installation to the most recent.

Last edited by knc1; 02-26-2015 at 10:04 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 09:16 PM   #7
brianinmaine
Evangelist
brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Touch (5.3.7)
https://github.com/prasmussen/gdrive
this is easy to install as there is a version for linux arm:
https://drive.google.com/uc?id=0B3X9...XRGWmw2T0xsa1k
I copied to my Kindle and can run it through ssh. You would only need some scripts I believe to get it to work with KUAL?
EDIT: I made some scripts and am testing now. the leafpad package defines home for it's rc file, so I had to copy the token files from /var/tmp/root/.gdrive to /mnt/us/extensions/leafpad/settings. Also requires kterm for an easy cli interface.
All in all, I wouldn't want to type a whole document on the Kindle like this, but for a quick note - maybe. This IS what you wanted, right? Save notes to your google drive and edit them on other devices?

OK file attached. First time login MUST be from an SSH shell!
unzip, chdir to /mnt/us/extensions/gdrive/bin and run "./drive list"
the shell will give you a browser link, I copied and pasted to my host browser and then copy and pasted the verification code back to the shell.
then copy the token files from /var/tmp/root/.gdrive to /mnt/us/extensions/leafpad/settings
KUAL has 2 links under gdrive, both kind of work OK if your connected to the net. Feel free to change anything you want, have fun!
the cli has "drive --help" and "leafpad" which SHOULD upload the saved file (sometimes I get timeouts...)

more ideas:
http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/...-cloud-gcalcli
https://github.com/odeke-em/drive

Both could probably be made to work? Python is available, and command line apps work well.. MAYBE even use a command line to open leafpad? Or just save your notes using vim or other cli editor and send them to your cloud.

Also this script works with dropbox:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=227348
so you could use instead?

also check this out to compile stuff:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=30
along with this script:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ht=filechecker
to get needed libs.
Attached Files
File Type: zip gdrive.zip (1.61 MB, 218 views)

Last edited by brianinmaine; 02-27-2015 at 03:29 AM.
brianinmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 06:07 AM   #8
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

leafpad and kterm are included in the KindleMenu package I linked to.

KindleMenu also has some other small applications that might be useful in this project -
KindleGallery, KindleNotes, KindleReminder, ...

You can also use the KindleMenu applications from the KUAL menu, once KindleMenu package is installed.

Scripting of those applications could be based on the gdrive scripting as examples.

- - - - -

Note: Those scripts in KindleMenu **might** be missing the "killall matchbox-keyboard" command (I didn't look, it would be better if the user looked for their self.)

- - - - -

Don't let us intimidate you ....

Aeris joined this forum wanting to give her Kindle the basic features of a PDA (Personal Data Assistant) - -
She went from: "can it be done?" to the high quality, finished work you see posted here in only a few months (and then moved on to other uses for her hobby time).

Her threads and posts are those of a person just learning how to make use of a Kindle, using them as examples is a very good idea.

Last edited by knc1; 02-27-2015 at 06:35 AM.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:49 AM   #9
borhan.ur

wondering if this project can help me.

chromiumembedded

https://code.google.com/p/chromiumembedded/

guy's, Is it possible?

Last edited by borhan.ur; 02-28-2015 at 07:53 AM.
Old 02-28-2015, 08:04 AM   #10
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by borhan.ur View Post
wondering if this project can help me.

chromiumembedded

https://code.google.com/p/chromiumembedded/

guy's, Is it possible?
Why?

Did you even bother to look at any of the things that have already been suggested?

If you had, you would know that Kindles already support HTML5 - that is what KindleMenu is written in.

Hint: Don't ask for help and then ignore the replies.

Tags
google, google keep, native applications, notes