Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-10-2008, 12:07 PM   #1
jamh
jamh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jamh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jamh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jamh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jamh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: sony 505
Best stand ever

Hello,

Well I could have made a fortune setting up a company and producing this in the millions for you folks. Then again that would have meant stop reading. So here it is, a magnanimous gift to humanity:

http://homepage.mac.com/dicenti/.Public/stand.jpg
http://homepage.mac.com/dicenti/.Public/tabletop.jpg
http://homepage.mac.com/dicenti/.Public/tabletop2.jpg
http://homepage.mac.com/dicenti/.Pub...Dimensions.jpg

I thought very hard and long about this. I wanted something that:
+ Was light and beautiful.
+ Was as simple as possible.
+ That would hold that damn cover open.
+ That you could put at a high angle for viewing from a low spot (ie. lying down in bed on your chest or a pillow)
+ That you could put at a low angle for a table.

Well enjoy, and send me pictures if you decide to make one from ebony with ivory inlays.
jamh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 12:25 PM   #2
electristan
newbie reader
electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: reMarkable, Boox T68, Kobo Mini, Nook STR, Sony PRS-505
That's some epic harware you got there. with i had a little workshop to make one in
electristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2008, 02:37 PM   #3
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Nicely done!
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 03:22 PM   #4
jamesdmanley
Groupie
jamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-books

Device: prs-500
very nice! now to wire up a remote pager turner
jamesdmanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 06:09 PM   #5
jamh
jamh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jamh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jamh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jamh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jamh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: sony 505
About turning pages, I wish there was some motion detector that you could swipe your hand in font of it, left to right to go forward, and right to left going back. Failing that, come on Sony, give us a button that we don't have to press so hard! gentle does it.
jamh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2008, 10:13 PM   #6
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamh View Post
About turning pages, I wish there was some motion detector that you could swipe your hand in font of it, left to right to go forward, and right to left going back. ...
...and the video advertisement writes itself:

Sony Reader: "You wanna go to sleep now?"
Obi-Wan: "I don't want to go to sleep now"
Sony Reader: "Uh, you don't wanna go to sleep now."
Obi-Wan: "You want to shut up and turn the page for me"
Sony Reader: "I wanna shut up and turn the page for you"

Cheers,
Marc (I can't believe I just foisted a Star Wars meme on you )
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 10:26 PM   #7
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Marc, you should be ashamed of yourself.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 10:38 PM   #8
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Marc, you should be ashamed of yourself.
Oh, I assure you, I am. In fact, I suddenly feel the urge to go home and rethink my life.

(Damn Nate and his Jedi mind tricks! )

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 03:12 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm going to start a poll to find out how many people use a "book stand". I've never used one in my life and don't really see the point of them, except, perhaps, for people with arthritis or some other reason they have might have difficulty holding a book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 06:45 AM   #10
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm going to start a poll to find out how many people use a "book stand". I've never used one in my life and don't really see the point of them, except, perhaps, for people with arthritis or some other reason they have might have difficulty holding a book.
i don't use one, but i can imagine appreciating it on those really cold nights when you want to have both your hands under the quilt (especially if we also had a remote control to turn the pages ! toasty !)...

i do regularly prop it up on a pillow and just steady it / turn the pages with one hand (that's right, i'm lazy at 2 in the morning), depending on what position i am reading in, so it doesn't seem so far-fetched an idea.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 06:50 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i don't use one, but i can imagine appreciating it on those really cold nights when you want to have both your hands under the quilt (especially if we also had a remote control to turn the pages ! toasty !)...

i do regularly prop it up on a pillow and just steady it / turn the pages with one hand (that's right, i'm lazy at 2 in the morning), depending on what position i am reading in, so it doesn't seem so far-fetched an idea.
But don't you have to move your hand from under the quilt to turn the page and get it cold again? The idea of a book stand to me just seems to make it harder to read.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 07:07 AM   #12
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But don't you have to move your hand from under the quilt to turn the page and get it cold again? The idea of a book stand to me just seems to make it harder to read.
well, if i turn on my side and lean it against a pillow, i can pull the quilt up quite high and then hide my hand under the pillow... in the end only my thumb is really exposed, for turning the pages, and when it gets too cold i change hands.

it's been quite chilly here this winter, i've got a very sophisticated system worked out.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:34 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
well, if i turn on my side and lean it against a pillow, i can pull the quilt up quite high and then hide my hand under the pillow... in the end only my thumb is really exposed, for turning the pages, and when it gets too cold i change hands.

it's been quite chilly here this winter, i've got a very sophisticated system worked out.
So what's the link to the UTube video?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 08:00 AM   #14
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So what's the link to the UTube video?
pff, don't you wish... figure out your own system.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:14 PM   #15
Peto
Legal Alien
Peto doesn't litterPeto doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505/T1/Kindle PW2
Sorry, man, the best stand ever was already published by me ;P

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19418

There are already zillions of these around. Only nobody tells XD
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote