Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-20-2012, 04:27 AM   #1
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
0.8.61: E-book viewer - paged mode, I like it

The new paged mode works very nice. I placed it by default to 2 pages which provides me a nice reading on full page.
Thanks for this feature!
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:03 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You're welcome
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2012, 06:57 AM   #3
atjnjk
Zealot
atjnjk will become famous soon enoughatjnjk will become famous soon enoughatjnjk will become famous soon enoughatjnjk will become famous soon enoughatjnjk will become famous soon enoughatjnjk will become famous soon enough

Device: none
I love it too! Thank you very much, Kovid.
I just wonder why text "columns" are called "pages" (which confused me a bit when I read the source's note).
atjnjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:06 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Pages is the common parlance in most ebook viewing programs as they try to simulate the paperback experience. In the interests of using a term that is likely to be familiar to most people, I chose pages rather than columns, although columns is the technically correct term.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:05 PM   #5
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Kovid,
I love the updated book viewer. Thank you. I noticed, though, that some of the letters on the right side of the page were trunkated a bit, ie., the letter d looks like a c, etc. When I returned to the traditional viewing method, the letters were fine. I am sure it is probably operator error (I converted a Word filtered html to epub via Calibre) but I thought you might want to know.

Thanks again for all you do. The more I learn about Calibre, the more amazed I am with you and your team's efforts.
Kaz
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2012, 12:20 PM   #6
alanHd
Addict
alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Ipod Touch, Ipad Air
+1. Thanks for a great program, i appreciate all the time and effort it must take.
alanHd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:32 PM   #7
kamanza
Zealot
kamanza began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks a lot!I was waiting for this in order to make Calibre my default reader.
kamanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:49 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@kazbates: That can happen if the file you are viewing has non reflowable markup, like a table or <pre> text. You can increase the window size/reduce the margins, that should help.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:11 PM   #9
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool 0.8.61: E-book viewer - paged mode, I like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrChiper View Post
The new paged mode works very nice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by atjnjk View Post
I love it too! Thank you very much, Kovid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazbates View Post
Kovid,
I love the updated book viewer. Thank you.

Thanks again for all you do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanHd View Post
+1. Thanks for a great program, i appreciate all the time and effort it must take.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamanza View Post
Thanks a lot!

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 07:32 PM   #10
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Oh wow, must get this!
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:04 PM   #11
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Kovid, I tried it again with a different ebook and it worked perfectly! Thanks again.
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:33 PM   #12
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Thank you so much Kovid, i really love this viewer!
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:06 AM   #13
colleenFL
Groupie
colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.

Device: PW3, PW1, Kobo N647, Sony PRS-600, Sony PRS-300, various tablets
I love the page mode. Very nice!
colleenFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:48 AM   #14
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kobo Aura HD, iPad (Marvin)
I also love it, but have found a small annoyance...

If I have a h# tag a top of page (as header of new chapter) and it has a margin to adjust it's vertical position, ( in css:- margin:3em 0; ) the top margin gets reduced to 0 and is displayed at top.
(this is with 'Override the page margin settings specified in the book' *unchecked*)

Edit: especially noticeable when on separator pages: Part 1, Part 2 etc.

Last edited by Perkin; 07-23-2012 at 05:22 AM.
Perkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:36 AM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@Perkin: Open a bug report and attach a sample demonstrating the issue.