Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-28-2011, 11:49 AM   #1
kjturner71
kjturner71 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wireless
A question about cross-border Kobo shopping

I live in Canada but I will be traveling to the US in a few weeks and I was thinking of buying a Kobo eReader at Borders (if I can find one that hasn't closed down and has Kobos in stock). They are ~$50 cheaper in the US than in Canada, where Kobo is based and where the devices are manufactured, go figure. My question is this: when I return home, will I be able to buy books from KoboBooks.com, in CDN prices, or do I have to buy books thru Borders? Will there be any gotchas with buying an eReader from a foreign country?
kjturner71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:08 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
From earlier discussions I believe all that is needed is to install the Kobo Desktop as opposed to the Borders Desktop. Once that has been done, when you sync the Kobo reader with the application it will ensure that the URLs on teh WiFi device for the store point to the Canadian Store and not the US store.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2011, 01:12 PM   #3
JackNF
JackNF can illuminate an eclipseJackNF can illuminate an eclipseJackNF can illuminate an eclipseJackNF can illuminate an eclipseJackNF can illuminate an eclipseJackNF can illuminate an eclipseJackNF can illuminate an eclipseJackNF can illuminate an eclipseJackNF can illuminate an eclipseJackNF can illuminate an eclipseJackNF can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo eReader
Also make sure the ~$50 cheaper units are in fact the Wifi model. Refurbished 'original' non-wifi units can be found in Canada in the sub-$100 price range.
JackNF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:26 AM   #4
kjturner71
kjturner71 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wireless
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackNF View Post
Also make sure the ~$50 cheaper units are in fact the Wifi model. Refurbished 'original' non-wifi units can be found in Canada in the sub-$100 price range.
Borders sells the newer wi-fi model. Not sure how Borders gets them cheaper than Indigo/Chapters, but they do.
kjturner71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:34 PM   #5
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
From earlier discussions I believe all that is needed is to install the Kobo Desktop as opposed to the Borders Desktop. Once that has been done, when you sync the Kobo reader with the application it will ensure that the URLs on teh WiFi device for the store point to the Canadian Store and not the US store.
More accurately, they will point to the KOBO store after syncing. The Kobo store services globally, so both US and Canadian patrons can buy from it.

But yes, this method is your best bet.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2011, 05:53 PM   #6
bairdn
bairdn began at the beginning.

Device: Kob
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
More accurately, they will point to the KOBO store after syncing. The Kobo store services globally, so both US and Canadian patrons can buy from it.

But yes, this method is your best bet.

Including Australia & NZ?
bairdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:09 PM   #7
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
The only thing that prevents me from buying electronics in the US vs. my native Canada, is the warranties. Check to make sure that you do not have to bring the Kobo back to a Borders store if there's a technical problem with it (see if you can exchange at a Chapters). There have been a fair number of Kobos with problems - more than the average electronic, IMO. I would personally pay the extra $50 to avoid potential exchange/warranty headaches.

Typically, I need to save over $100 to buy an electronic across the line vs. Canada. I will however, gladly cross the border to save $20 on a tank of gas!
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:34 PM   #8
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by bairdn View Post
Including Australia & NZ?
Last I checked, yes. Simply go to Kobo.com and you'll see the books which are available in your region (geo-restrictions, unfortunately).

I don't remember offhand how full the catalogue was and I don't look at it every day (since I need an Australian credit card to fake an australian account).

But there should be many books available. Let me know how it goes.

Just understand that currently REDgroup retail accounts (Borders AU, A&R, Whitcoulls) are still separate from Kobo, so your library from any of those will not be available at Kobo. But if you want to start a new account, go for it!
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:41 PM   #9
bairdn
bairdn began at the beginning.

Device: Kob
Thanks Sameer - I'll give it a try soon
bairdn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo ereader