Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-06-2007, 10:44 PM   #1
Zach
Zach is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony
$99? - Never mind that

Those who yearn for a Sony Reader at the recent tigerdirect.com sale price might find solace with this offer.

Link.
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 11:39 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Most excellent first post, Zach, I hope you don't mind, but I felt it deserved Front Page exposure.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2007, 12:45 AM   #3
yomer
yomer began at the beginning.

Device: None
New Reader coming for sure!

Sony is definitely releasing the next iteration of the portable Reader by fall. I hope they release it in 6 and 8 inches. That way they can sell the larger one at $250, and the smaller one at $150
yomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 01:16 AM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
You seem awfully confident, yomer, is there something particular you want to share with us?

I wouldn't try to divine too much from just this particular offer, BTW -- the Credit Card people are a totally separate division, their loss leader promotions don't necessarily affect the division that puts out the Reader.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 03:12 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by yomer View Post
Sony is definitely releasing the next iteration of the portable Reader by fall. I hope they release it in 6 and 8 inches. That way they can sell the larger one at $250, and the smaller one at $150
Your EVIDENCE, please? Please don't state things as "facts" unless you have something to back it up.

I find it highly improbable that it's possible to manufacture an eInk viewer and sell it at a commercially realistic profit for $150, or even $250, come to that.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2007, 03:14 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Most excellent first post, Zach, I hope you don't mind, but I felt it deserved Front Page exposure.
Another "offer" which is utterly useless for the 95% of the world's population who live outside the USA .

Sorry - I don't mean to be rude to anyone, but PLEASE could people make it clear that things like this are US-specific. It's very fraustrating to see something like this and then find that, yet again, it's only for our American friends.
Old 07-07-2007, 03:18 AM   #7
phuata
phuata began at the beginning.

Thank-you for sharing the info, Zach. It's too bad it's for US citizens, only, but maybe this will lead to cheaper readers being sold on ebay and such.
phuata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 08:25 AM   #8
JEMelby
Save the Stone Tablet
JEMelby began at the beginning.

Device: Coleco ADAM (With high-speed digital tape drive!)
Completely off topic

I've been around the world. I've lived (for one to four years) on every continent except Antarctica and Africa. And without fail, I was inevitably anxious to get back home to the USA. That star-spangled bastion of ultra-consumerism where everyone (almost) speaks not-the-queen's English. Where else can you get a microwave burrito at 0200 in the morning? I have a story about toilet plungers that I tell from time to time. I will spare you most of the pain. Suffice to say: Only in a store in America could you choose from 7 different models ranging in price from the $2.99 China made all the way on up to a $59.99 Nippon made contraption with on-board air compressor and 1,200 psi hydro-pump.

This is perhaps the most international forum I have frequented. It seems that “reading” is a universal pursuit. A common theme seems to be frustration from my non-American brothers and sisters as relates to the availability of many offers and products. In some rare cases, it almost seems to border on animosity, if not outright jealousy.

Well take heart, my international friends. The one thing I’ve learned in my world travels is that everyone gets something. No matter what county you live in, you have something unique that no one else has ready access to. It might be cultural, social, or natural, but there’s going to be something. It might not be access to the latest deal on a Chinese made devise from a Japanese company, but I’ll wager what ever it is, it’s enough to keep you from moving to the US!
JEMelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 08:54 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEMelby View Post
In some rare cases, it almost seems to border on animosity, if not outright jealousy.
"Fraustration", in my own case . Please don't think that I am in any way whatsoever "hostile" towards people in the US. It gets somewhat irksome, however, to read "headline" announcements of some wonderful offer, only then to discover that it's only available to the tiny minority of the planetary population who live in the US.

I know that there is an eminently good reason why this applies in the case of the Sony Reader - ie the fact that the US is the only country in which it's officially sold - but that doesn't ease the sense of irritation, on occasions . Whereas those of us in Europe are used to thinking in terms of international markets, there does seem to be a tendency for many American companies to be a little "parochial" and regard international sales as something strange and exotic.
Old 07-07-2007, 05:12 PM   #10
Roy White
Evangelist
Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
Harry. I feel for you man!!

However.. I signed up for a Card for my wife and got approved. As soon as they assign her (me) a number... I'm getting a spare reader for 50 bux! and 50 dollars worth of books for free!

Do the math folks!!!
the answer of course is... The reader is ..

Drum roll...

Free!!!

I LLLLLOOOOOOVVVEEEEEEEE THE USA! Home of Ultraconsumerism!!

Plus we amerikins are just flat out better than everyone else!
Roy White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 05:31 PM   #11
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy White View Post
Plus we amerikins are just flat out better than everyone else!
Well, of course we are.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 05:39 PM   #12
Roy White
Evangelist
Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
Zach. I signed up for the card and don't have a number assigend to me yet. No one at Chase seems to know about this offer. And.. No one at Sony seems to know either...

How did you find out about this offer?

The word Phish is faintly ringing in my empty head...
Roy White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 06:03 PM   #13
dullmoment
dullmoment began at the beginning.

Device: NA
Yeah

I was starting to think the same thing but the SSL certificate on the application page seems legit.

Issued To:
common Name app.firstusa.com
Organization JPMorgan Chase

Issued By
Organization VeriSign Trust Network
dullmoment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 06:12 PM   #14
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I just looked at their homepage, and my computer was attacked. Coincidence? I think not.

http://www.sonycard.com/
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 06:24 PM   #15
dullmoment
dullmoment began at the beginning.

Device: NA
www.sonycard.com is not Sony. that is just a squatter website. If you look at the link it had sonycard.sony.com so the domain is sony.com. Just my 2 cents.

OrgName: Oversee.net
OrgID: OVERS-1
Address: 818 W 7th Street
Address: Suite 700
City: Los Angeles
StateProv: CA
PostalCode: 90017
NetRange: 204.13.160.0 - 204.13.163.255

OrgName: SONY NORTH AMERICA
OrgID: SNA-8
Address: One Sony Drive
City: Park Ridge
StateProv: NJ
PostalCode: 07656-8003
NetRange: 160.33.0.0 - 160.33.255.255

the link goes to www.sonycard.sony.com which is ip 160.33.129.103.

Last edited by dullmoment; 07-07-2007 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Updated to add the net range. Sorry for the reedits.
dullmoment is offline   Reply With Quote