Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 01-17-2012, 07:50 AM   #31
PaulS
PaulS began at the beginning.

Device: Boox M92
Ereader-store.de is back in stock and I really want a reader replacement for my dead DR800 and the M92 still looks like the best contender but this thread can put a damper on anyone's enthusiasm :/ It's really great to see Booxtor's reassuring attitude and I'm not worried about the warranty guarantee but I wish we could just forego sending the ereader to and fro. I know Booxtor can't check the screens himself but surely Onyx could and save themselves a lot of hassle.

Sorry, moaning without good reason here. It's like the bad old days when LCD screens had horrid numbers of hot/dead pixels and you just wondered why they couldn't check for that at the plant.
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:26 AM   #32
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

I have tested my M92 and I do not see any bad pixels. Maybe that the problem has only certain batch of production... Mine was from 'Ebook Reader Discounter'.

Anyway, even if I would detect the defective pixel I wouldn't send it for replacement, because I do not see anything wrong while reading.

To my opinion, the issue is not of big importance. It is BW, so the defective pixel is not too much visible in real use (as opposed to coloured pixel on LCD). Also the pixel size is much smaller on e-ink than on LCD. It also decrease practical visibility of defect. And also we are used that print on normal paper is not always perfect and the paper itself is not always uniformly white.

And also, while searching for defective pixels, I found, that my display is after month of using covered by dust. And the dust looks like many defective pixels... I should clean it time from time.

But I agree, that there should not be any defective pixels in a reader costing +-400 EUR.
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:53 AM   #33
psv
Connoisseur
psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, remarkable
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mono View Post
To my opinion, the issue is not of big importance. It is BW, so the defective pixel is not too much visible in real use (as opposed to coloured pixel on LCD). Also the pixel size is much smaller on e-ink than on LCD. It also decrease practical visibility of defect. And also we are used that print on normal paper is not always perfect and the paper itself is not always uniformly white.
At least in my case, it is a spot of roughly 3x3 pixels that keep the same color (either black or white; it acts roughly as an over-sized pixel). It is quite noticeable if it hits some character, but it is not really a big problem.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:42 AM   #34
Federico F.
Federico F. began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
Hi,

What about when you discover something wrong with your device just to contact your shop and explain the problem?
The warranty works, believe me We are really exerted to help every single of our customer.
Dear Booxtor,

I have sent you an e-mail about the issues I encountered through the website. Thank you very much for your excellent customer service!
Federico F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:13 AM   #35
Beryll Snyder
Banned
Beryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Nook classic, PB 903, Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Ereader-store.de is back in stock and I really want a reader replacement for my dead DR800 and the M92 still looks like the best contender but this thread can put a damper on anyone's enthusiasm :/ It's really great to see Booxtor's reassuring attitude and I'm not worried about the warranty guarantee but I wish we could just forego sending the ereader to and fro. I know Booxtor can't check the screens himself but surely Onyx could and save themselves a lot of hassle.

Sorry, moaning without good reason here. It's like the bad old days when LCD screens had horrid numbers of hot/dead pixels and you just wondered why they couldn't check for that at the plant.
Seems some unknown company from far away lands found someone stupid enough to peddle the stuff for them - who in turn found someone stupid enough to buy ...
Beryll Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:32 AM   #36
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryll Snyder View Post
Seems some unknown company from far away lands found someone stupid enough to peddle the stuff for them - who in turn found someone stupid enough to buy ...
I do not understand why are you blowing the problem up? Do not make a mountain out of a molehill!
First of all - just to find a "dead" pixel (one of 990.000) you have to use special checks. By normal using it is really quite impossible to find it.
Currently I have to replace only 1 of 100 sold devices (because of this "problem").
It is indeed absolutely the same High Contrast E Ink Pearl Screen that Amazon uses by Kindle DX - there is no selection like good screens for amazons, bad screens for others. I guess there was no one who decided to test his DX for "dead" pixels. Most people are just reading on their ereaders and not investigating аt what to carp.
Secondly - if someone is really worried about this problem, you can write a short message by ordering (in the registration form) and I will check the screen for such a problem before sending the device

Last edited by Booxtor; 01-19-2012 at 09:42 AM.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 12:13 PM   #37
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Quote:
It seems to me, you do not understand the fact that majority of goods is produced in China.

Every producer has problems with quality and 2-5% is quite normal even for 'established' company.

If there is dead single pixel, then it is hardly noticeable in normal use. 9 pixels in group 3x3 is noticeable, but does not make any real problem.

To my opinion m92 is good piece of hardware and only needs improve the firmware, which is anyway already satisfactory (at least for my needs).

It could be improved and I have belief that it will be. Either by Onyx or by Linux community.

If you prefer Android (just another clone of Linux) running on M92, port it yourself. Or maybe someone else will do it.
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:29 PM   #38
Beryll Snyder
Banned
Beryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mono View Post
It seems to me, you do not understand the fact that majority of goods is produced in China.

Every producer has problems with quality and 2-5% is quite normal even for 'established' company.

If there is dead single pixel, then it is hardly noticeable in normal use. 9 pixels in group 3x3 is noticeable, but does not make any real problem.

To my opinion m92 is good piece of hardware and only needs improve the firmware, which is anyway already satisfactory (at least for my needs).

It could be improved and I have belief that it will be. Either by Onyx or by Linux community.

If you prefer Android (just another clone of Linux) running on M92, port it yourself. Or maybe someone else will do it.

I beg your pardon. This device is not only produced in China, it is designed there.
What is your source of information in concern of quality/defectice devices?
The Pixel-"Problem" though seems to be blown completey out of proportion.
The software could be improved - certainly - but at what pace?
The Linux-Community does not seem to be interested in a niche-product. Check Pocketbook for that. They are longer in the market.
Android is another clone, true - but with any number of apps.
In the end we will see how many people are willing to going down a dead end street.
The vast majority of Ereaders are based on Android: for a very good reason.

Last edited by Beryll Snyder; 01-19-2012 at 03:42 PM.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:17 PM   #39
psv
Connoisseur
psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, remarkable
Quote:
In the end we will see how many people are willing to going down a dead end street.
This is probably a niche product, for reading technical pdf's and djvu's. And it's very good at it. I'm happy with this dead end street. I have wanted something like it for a long time and this seems to be the first good device (I didn't want Pocketbook since the Pearl screen is quite essential for good visibility of thin lines).

The vast majority of ereaders is, unfortunately, useless for this purpose.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 03:45 PM   #40
Beryll Snyder
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by psv View Post
for reading technical pdf's and djvu's. And it's very good at it.
No doubt about that - but that is not what the discussion was all about
Old 01-20-2012, 09:06 AM   #41
PaulS
PaulS began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
Secondly - if someone is really worried about this problem, you can write a short message by ordering (in the registration form) and I will check the screen for such a problem before sending the device
Thanks, that's really nice of you. I'll order one today.
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:55 AM   #42
mSSM
Connoisseur? Addict!
mSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with others

Device: Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Thanks, that's really nice of you. I'll order one today.
Funny, his post convinced me to order one last night.
mSSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 03:32 PM   #43
initx
Enthusiast
initx began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Nokia Lumia 800
Quote:
I beg your pardon. This device is not only produced in China, it is designed there.
I own a Hanlin V3 e-reader now for 3 years. It is quite a solid product. The family uses it daily, we haver read dozens of books on it, and we did not have any problems at all. The build quality is excellent. I also tried an Onyx device in a shop, and it also has an excellent quality.

Btw. I have never ever seen any e-reader (I mean a REAL e-reader with e-ink screen) with an Android OS. I am afraid you must not have any personal experiences with e-readers at all.
initx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:54 PM   #44
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
nook touch is android based
that is eink ..
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 06:39 AM   #45
kamizase
Connoisseur
kamizase doesn't litterkamizase doesn't litterkamizase doesn't litter

Device: Onyx Boox 60
What else is?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...e-book_readers

Entourage Edge and suprisingly Sony PRS-T1. That's basicly all.
kamizase is offline   Reply With Quote