Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 10-29-2010, 08:57 PM   #46
Reeses
Reeses is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by BexBits View Post
Why resent it? I'd buy a Nook Color and I know about the bazillon tablets, too. But I also know I'm not typical.
Well, I consider myself "general public" but not an uninformed buyer...I was just trying to state the difference

But...at the same time (in retrospect), I understand your point. I have friends who purchased Kindles just because that's what they knew...and it was available in Canada. Not everyone really 'researches' anything before purchasing.

Last edited by Reeses; 10-29-2010 at 09:11 PM.
Reeses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 08:09 PM   #47
Rebo
Groupie
Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook, nook color, kindle 3, Ipad 2nd gen, Nook HD+, Iphone 4S
How do you predict the success of the product? Without a crystal ball, we can probably try using the amount of internet hits to provide some insight.

See the link below for Google trend for Nook:

http://www.google.com/trends?q=nook&...ate=all&sort=0

Search volume index for "nook" spikes up after the announcement of the Nook Color; the spike is comparabale to the time when the original Nook was announced and when B&N cut the price and released the WiFi model. It is also interesting to note that the news volume index for the Nook Color is lower when compared to the last 2 big announcement. This seems to indicate the Nook Color drives more interest from the public than the media.

I also compare the search volume index of the Nook to other ereaders. Nook is ~ 3 times higher than Kobo and the Sony ereader. The Kindle is ~ 3 times higher than the Nook and the iPad is ~ 3 times higher than the Kindle.

Based on the data from google trend, there is a likelihood that the Nook Color will be as successful as the Original Nook.
Rebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:49 AM   #48
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebo View Post
How do you predict the success of the product? Without a crystal ball, we can probably try using the amount of internet hits to provide some insight.

See the link below for Google trend for Nook:

http://www.google.com/trends?q=nook&...ate=all&sort=0

Search volume index for "nook" spikes up after the announcement of the Nook Color; the spike is comparabale to the time when the original Nook was announced and when B&N cut the price and released the WiFi model. It is also interesting to note that the news volume index for the Nook Color is lower when compared to the last 2 big announcement. This seems to indicate the Nook Color drives more interest from the public than the media.

I also compare the search volume index of the Nook to other ereaders. Nook is ~ 3 times higher than Kobo and the Sony ereader. The Kindle is ~ 3 times higher than the Nook and the iPad is ~ 3 times higher than the Kindle.

Based on the data from google trend, there is a likelihood that the Nook Color will be as successful as the Original Nook.
Good analysis. I think it will be a hit though I probably will not get one. Unless, of course, there turns out to be a value add I can't resist.
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 12:41 PM   #49
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
what else I think may help the Nook Color is Samsung's deal with the devil/cell phone carriers.
The Samsung Galaxy S Tab which apppears to be a fantastic device is being priced at suicidal prices and contracts.

I would love to have a Galaxy S Tab but a no contract at $600 or $400 with at least a $30 a month 2 year contract?

That's insane.

So now I look at my Droid X which can run all my "must need" apps whenever I need them and use the Nook color for basically the primary reason I would be using a Samsung Galaxy S Tab, reading magainzes and surfing the web in color along with newspapers etc.

I will weigh in after I do my own test drive on one but this fills a great great void or niche.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 12:42 PM   #50
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul
Not B&N's fault, no Android device is allowed access to the standard market unless it supports 3G, so they have no choice but to run their own.
This was true of Android 1.6, but is not true of 2.1+
But it does still require GPS and Camera, so the Nook is still out, without B&N spending quite a bit more on hardware

Last edited by murraypaul; 11-01-2010 at 12:52 PM.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 01:10 PM   #51
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
But it does still require GPS and Camera, so the Nook is still out, without B&N spending quite a bit more on hardware
Those requirements are a bit dumb; especially in light of the fact that they allow carriers and manufactures to lock down the devices with custom UI's layered on top of the basic OS.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 07:23 PM   #52
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
I think this is going to be a great mass market device. I love my iPad, love my kindle, but I have no problem admitting this is going to be a hit device.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 10:30 AM   #53
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
It will be a hit. Can't wait to see some of these people eat their words by xmas.
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:20 AM   #54
DaAfroSheenQueen
DaAfroSheenQueen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, iphone 3GS, netbook
Hummm....I purchased a Kindle 3 about 2 months ago and I love it....it won out for me over the Nook1. But this nook color is looking appealing. I've been in the market for a tablet. I travel a lot and the added weight of lugging around a laptop (or even a netbook) is tiresome and adds to my back pain. I was considering purchasing an ipad for christmas, but I may have to look into this nook color as an option.

I'm going to closely watch this thread. Has anyone test driven one in store or ordered yet?
DaAfroSheenQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:38 AM   #55
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaAfroSheenQueen View Post
I'm going to closely watch this thread. Has anyone test driven one in store or ordered yet?
It hasn't been released yet, so no one has one. Many have pre-ordered it.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote