Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-20-2010, 12:23 AM   #1
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Book description needed

Many of us have more than a few books on our reader. The problem is that some were added months ago and we may have only a slight recollection about the story.

I went through my book list in Calibre and added short summaries in the "comments" section. Basically this is what you would find on the back of a paperback book.

The idea was to put those summaries behind the ebook covers in my reader. That way I could select a book on my reader, move to "page 2", and read a synopsis to refresh my memory.

Is there a way to simply have a check mark that would insert the "comments" behind the "cover"? Other than converting it, manually pasting it, and then reconverting it.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:28 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Look in the conversion settings under Look and Feel
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2010, 08:55 AM   #3
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
You could also use the Catalog feature to produce an epub of all your books. If you haven't tried it, it's on the [Convert] submenu.

As well as listing your books every which way(Author, Title, Genre, DateAdded) it also has the Descriptions section which shows, by book, a cover thumbnail, the comments and series info. You can then browse at will.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 01:02 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Look in the conversion settings under Look and Feel
Under Structure Detection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOldStory View Post
Is there a way to simply have a check mark that would insert the "comments" behind the "cover"? Other than converting it, manually pasting it, and then reconverting it.
I attached an example of what the first page past the cover will look like if you use the Insert metadata as page at start of book feature under Preferences - Conversion - Structure Detection.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	metadata_page_insert_example.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	56919  
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 02:22 PM   #5
danwdoo
Groupie
danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
It's amazing how I still am finding cool Calibre features like this that I never knew existed. I've been looking for something just like this. Thanks for the heads up!
danwdoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2010, 02:37 PM   #6
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Under Structure Detection. ... I attached an example of what the first page past the cover will look like if you use the Insert metadata as page at start of book feature under Preferences - Conversion - Structure Detection.
Now this is what I've wanted! I didn't know that this is what would happen if that option is selected.

Yeah, I've been making a catalog of my To Be Read books, but it's hard to use it quickly (open the catalog, open the TOC, find the author, go to synopsis, read synopsis, close catalog, open book ... read). Gets old.

So, after [re-]converting, I have the synopsis at the beginning of the book. Awesome (and a time-saver).

Yeah, a bit of a pain converting all my books (in process right now). But, it's only my TBR pile, so that'll be pretty short. And, if I do it that way from now on... Yay!

Thanks for this, dwanthny! And to you too, Kovid - both for this and for the most awesome Calibre that does stuff like this. Karma for everyone!

Marilyn
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 03:30 PM   #7
danwdoo
Groupie
danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
So what's the easiest way to reconvert all my epubs to add this page to them? Is there any ill effects from doing so or any potential issues to be aware of?
danwdoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 04:36 PM   #8
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwdoo View Post
So what's the easiest way to reconvert all my epubs to add this page to them? Is there any ill effects from doing so or any potential issues to be aware of?
As mentioned go here and click on "Conversion" "Structure Detection":

After checking the box I had to restart Calibre before it would work, but that might have been just me.

Next highlight all of your books in Calibre and convert. Last thing is to send it to your reader.

I had no problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
You could also use the Catalog feature to produce an epub of all your books. If you haven't tried it, it's on the [Convert] submenu.

As well as listing your books every which way(Author, Title, Genre, DateAdded) it also has the Descriptions section which shows, by book, a cover thumbnail, the comments and series info. You can then browse at will.
I tried that a few months ago and dropped it. This works much simpler. The only work that I have to do is to make sure I have a good book description. Some imported ones are very long and full of junk.

Thanks Kovid, and all.

Last edited by SameOldStory; 08-20-2010 at 04:39 PM.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:04 PM   #9
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Seems to me to be a lot of extra work. When I add a book, if it didn't come with metadata which includes a synopsis (usually my scanned books), I go into Add Metadata and let calibre look it up and add it for me (this program is spoiling me). After that, all I have to do is click on the book in question and the synopsis, along with other data, shows up in the book details. I would think that would be faster than opening every book to get the synopsis. Unless, of course, I'm missing something here (I'm good at that).
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:23 PM   #10
SameOldStory
My True Self

Two Years in the Forbidden City

Mine:
Princess Der Ling, daughter of Lord Yu Keng.

Yu Keng's daughters Der Ling and Rong Ling (the future Madame Dan Paochao of Beijing) therefore got a western education, having studied dance in Paris with Isadora Duncan.

Upon return from France, Der Ling became the First lady-in-waiting to Empress Dowager Cixi, as well as a translator. She stayed at court until March 1905. In 1907, Der Ling married Thaddeus C. White, an American.

Meta data fetched from the internet: (Thru Calibre)
SUMMARY:
Websters paperbacks take advantage of the fact that classics are frequently assigned readings in English courses. By using a running English-to-Korean thesaurus at the bottom of each page, this edition of Two Years in the Forbidden City by Princess Der Ling was edited for three audiences. The first includes Korean-speaking students enrolled in an English Language Program (ELP), an English as a Foreign Language (EFL) program, an English as a Second Language Program (ESL), or in a TOEFL or TOEIC preparation program. The second audience includes English-speaking students enrolled in bilingual education programs or Korean speakers enrolled in English-speaking schools. The third audience consists of students who are actively building their vocabularies in Korean in order to take foreign service, translation certification, Advanced Placement (AP) or similar examinations. By using the Webster's Korean Thesaurus Edition when assigned for an English course, the reader can enrich their vocabulary in anticipation of an examination in Korean or English. TOEFL, TOEIC, AP and Advanced Placement are trademarks of the Educational Testing Service which has neither reviewed nor endorsed this book. All rights reserved. Websters edition of this classic is organized to expose the reader to a maximum number of difficult and potentially ambiguous English words. Rare or idiosyncratic words and expressions are given lower priority compared to difficult, yet commonly used words. Rather than supply a single translation, many words are translated for a variety of meanings in Korean, allowing readers to better grasp the ambiguity of English, and avoid them using the notes as a pure translation crutch. Having thereader decipher a words meaning within context serves to improve vocabulary retention and understanding. Each page covers words not already highlighted on previous pages. If

Most aren't that bad, but some are worse.

Last edited by SameOldStory; 08-20-2010 at 11:27 PM.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:55 PM   #11
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOldStory View Post
Mine:
Princess Der Ling, daughter of Lord Yu Keng.

Yu Keng's daughters Der Ling and Rong Ling (the future Madame Dan Paochao of Beijing) therefore got a western education, having studied dance in Paris with Isadora Duncan.

Upon return from France, Der Ling became the First lady-in-waiting to Empress Dowager Cixi, as well as a translator. She stayed at court until March 1905. In 1907, Der Ling married Thaddeus C. White, an American.

Meta data fetched from the internet: (Thru Calibre)
SUMMARY:
Websters paperbacks take advantage of the fact that classics are frequently assigned readings in English courses. By using a running English-to-Korean thesaurus at the bottom of each page, this edition of Two Years in the Forbidden City by Princess Der Ling was edited for three audiences. The first includes Korean-speaking students enrolled in an English Language Program (ELP), an English as a Foreign Language (EFL) program, an English as a Second Language Program (ESL), or in a TOEFL or TOEIC preparation program. The second audience includes English-speaking students enrolled in bilingual education programs or Korean speakers enrolled in English-speaking schools. The third audience consists of students who are actively building their vocabularies in Korean in order to take foreign service, translation certification, Advanced Placement (AP) or similar examinations. By using the Webster's Korean Thesaurus Edition when assigned for an English course, the reader can enrich their vocabulary in anticipation of an examination in Korean or English. TOEFL, TOEIC, AP and Advanced Placement are trademarks of the Educational Testing Service which has neither reviewed nor endorsed this book. All rights reserved. Websters edition of this classic is organized to expose the reader to a maximum number of difficult and potentially ambiguous English words. Rare or idiosyncratic words and expressions are given lower priority compared to difficult, yet commonly used words. Rather than supply a single translation, many words are translated for a variety of meanings in Korean, allowing readers to better grasp the ambiguity of English, and avoid them using the notes as a pure translation crutch. Having thereader decipher a words meaning within context serves to improve vocabulary retention and understanding. Each page covers words not already highlighted on previous pages. If

Most aren't that bad, but some are worse.
Dang! I've been lucky; I've never run into anything THAT bad. Before saving the metadata, you can always just substitute your own synopsis. You would still be able to read it in the Book Details window without having to open the book.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:19 AM   #12
SameOldStory
My True Self

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Dang! I've been lucky; I've never run into anything THAT bad. Before saving the metadata, you can always just substitute your own synopsis. You would still be able to read it in the Book Details window without having to open the book.
That's what I started doing.

Another problem with downloading metadata is that it can give you what seems like a thousand categories/tags associate with the book. Just the authors attempt to catch as many reader searches as possible.

As I only download 1 to 3 books a week now it's not a real problem. But I do find myself with more books than I can keep track of. And that's with deleting the book from the reader after I read it. All books are saved on the hard disk and a CD.

"You would still be able to read it in the Book Details window without having to open the book."

That would work, but I'm one of those you see reading everywhere. This way If it's one of the books that I don't recall, while away from home, I can just open it up to the 2nd page to refresh my memory.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:27 AM   #13
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
I would think that would be faster than opening every book to get the synopsis. Unless, of course, I'm missing something here (I'm good at that).
The purpose of the synopsis in front of the book is when you aren't in calibre and away from the computer.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 01:59 AM   #14
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
The purpose of the synopsis in front of the book is when you aren't in calibre and away from the computer.
Ok, I get it.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:55 AM   #15
wayhop
wayhop began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Red face Book Descriptions in DRM Protected Books?

I'm not sure if this thread still has any watchers, but I'd appreciate a little help if it does. I'm a new Kindle person and my biggest frustration is having 100 books and no idea what they are when I am out of WiFi range. This thread was a great help in that I was able to download the metadata descriptions for all of them and create a catalog. I was not able to get the description onto the front page of the book, though. I think I may be stuck at the "conversion and structure detection" stage. I have found both of those, but when I use the default file types and hit convert, they all come back telling me they are DRM protected. I know what that is and I don't want to remove it. Is there a way to get that front page description anyway? Thanks in advance wayhop
wayhop is offline   Reply With Quote