Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-26-2010, 12:30 PM   #1
jessie102
Addict
jessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: SONY PRS505
Disable / Wake Suspend during News Fetch

First of all, I'd like to (thx) Kovid Goyal for this wonderful program. Helps with Eye strain so much since now I can read news on an e-INK device instead of TFT screens. (how people read on iPhones or TFT e-Book devices for prolonged periods is beyond me)

However, I would like to also give a feature request.

The news fetch can be interrupted by Auto-Suspend timer. I checked "powercfg -requests" (win7) during a news fetch and saw nothing listed by Calibre to prevent suspend from occurring. This means large recipes like Slashdot that take several hours, will most likely be halted once the inactivity suspend timer reaches zero. Hence the news fetch will never complete.

Conversely, can Calibre wake the PC on scheduled news fetch?

That would be a great help if this could happen.

Last edited by jessie102; 01-26-2010 at 01:09 PM. Reason: missing words lol proof read
jessie102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:47 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Not being a windows guru, I have no idea how to implement either of those features, but patches are always welcome
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2010, 02:55 PM   #3
snlu178
snlu178 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-900
@jessie102

This is exactly what I was getting at in another post about Calibre. I also cannot code for waking the PC from sleep, but this would be the absolute best for setting up fetches overnight.

That way when I wake up in the AM, I just plug the device in and it transfers the news feed.

Anyone out there able to help patch for Calibre to wake the PC from sleep to fetch the news feed at the scheduled time?
snlu178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 04:32 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Why not create a standard, Windows Scheduled task? Or is this only available on the Pro versions?
Start Program files | Accessories | Scheduled Tasks

Calibre seems to tolerate a request for a start, even if it is already running.
On the advanced settings is a tick box to wake and run.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 01:52 AM   #5
jessie102
Addict
jessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: SONY PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Why not create a standard, Windows Scheduled task? Or is this only available on the Pro versions?
Start Program files | Accessories | Scheduled Tasks

Calibre seems to tolerate a request for a start, even if it is already running.
On the advanced settings is a tick box to wake and run.
yes, if Calibre could interface to Task Scheduler then it would solve half the problem.

It also has to make sure auto-suspend doesn't happen while Calibre is processing jobs. Calibre will most likely get interrupted during a long fetch job lasting more than the count-down suspend timer. Since most computers are set to 1 hour, many large RSS recipes may never complete.
jessie102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2010, 04:26 AM   #6
JvdW
Zealot
JvdW doesn't litterJvdW doesn't litter

Device: Palm T5, Sony PRS-505, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessie102 View Post
yes, if Calibre could interface to Task Scheduler then it would solve half the problem.

It also has to make sure auto-suspend doesn't happen while Calibre is processing jobs. Calibre will most likely get interrupted during a long fetch job lasting more than the count-down suspend timer. Since most computers are set to 1 hour, many large RSS recipes may never complete.
OK, I might have a solution for you, depending a bit on how computer savvy you are.
I have a HTPC which also runs Calibre every morning around 7:30am for which I have made a Scheduled Task which wakes the HTPC and runs Calibre. I have a couple of news source scheduled inside Calibre to fetch my news and I keep Calibre running for around 45 minutes after which it is automatically killed by the Schedular. Normally I plug my reader into the HTPC after 7:30 and leave it until I'm pretty sure all the news has been transferred automatically to it. Then I press CTRL-SHIFT-F1 and my reader is Safely Removed, the red light goes of. Around 8:10 my HTPC goes to sleep until it needs to record something.

If the news feeds take a lot of time you need to stop the auto suspend once you have Calibre running and when it has finished it should be enabled again. This is possible, have look at the following post from 'degroeneknop.nl'
What it boils down to is a batch file that should do something like this:
- first disable suspend
- run Calibre (which gets all the news)
- monitor if it is still receiving news
- if not enable suspend

There are some problems left depending on how automated you want it. Not knowing exactly what you want and how you workflow is I can only give you the above to build upon.

If you've got more questions, go ahead ask them ;-)

Regards,

Joop
JvdW is offline   Reply With Quote