Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-05-2013, 01:13 AM   #256
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp thing View Post
Has anyone got usbnet working from a Windows XP computer?

I am using WinXP / SP2 and when I reach the point where "I will select a driver from a list", there are no drivers listed under "network adapters".

A little googling shows that it is not very simple to set up the so-called "Remote NDIS" support in XP. I, for one, am quite confused.

Anyone with a 'how-to' for XP?

Thanks,
Swamp Thing
You select Microsoft under Network adapters.
"network adapters -> Microsoft -> Remote NDIS Compatible Device"

Then continue with the Guide posted at the beginning of this thread.

You need to have the KoboLauncher USBnet on and then the USB cable pluged in for your PC to detect the device/network. Your device will be a network connection.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 12-05-2013 at 01:21 AM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 02:54 AM   #257
swamp thing
Enthusiast
swamp thing began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post

Thanks, Ken.
The thing is..
When I select Microsoft, there are no items in the list box. The "Next" button is greyed out and it says something like "No drivers could be found for this device".

Conditions: Kobolauncher running, device connected and "Usbnet" tapped --> It says "USB Network Running!". Windows offers to set up new device.

(I am away from the desktop just now but essentially things are as described above).
swamp thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2013, 09:53 AM   #258
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks, Ken.
The thing is..
When I select Microsoft, there are no items in the list box. The "Next" button is greyed out and it says something like "No drivers could be found for this device".

Conditions: Kobolauncher running, device connected and "Usbnet" tapped --> It says "USB Network Running!". Windows offers to set up new device.

(I am away from the desktop just now but essentially things are as described above).
It is good that Windows recognizes the existence of the device. When it offers to set up the new device, it should also provide the option to select from a list and not have XP look for the driver. This should give you a listing of device categories that you can scroll through. One of those should be "network adapters". Selecting that should give you a long list of manufactures, Microsoft should also be on that list. When you then select Microsoft, there should have been a listing of devices, services, and protocols Microsoft provides for "network adapters" - but this is not the case for you? Are you running XP Home? What I described above is what I can remember from XP Pro 64bit.

Luck;
Ken
Old 12-05-2013, 12:11 PM   #259
sergeyvl12
ebook fan
sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 301+, Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Onyx Boox A62, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markismus View Post
I get an "usb network error!" message on the Kobo Aura 2.10. Anyone knows how to fix it?

FOUND IT.

I changed setvars.sh to:

Code:
case `/bin/kobo_config.sh * 2>/dev/null` in
 dragon)  DEVICE=AURAHD;;
 kraken)  DEVICE=GLO   ;;
 trilogy) DEVICE=TOUCH ;;
 pixie)   DEVICE=MINI  ;;
 phoenix) DEVICE=AURA  ;;
 *)       DEVICE=TOUCH ;;
A USB Ethernet/RNDIS Gadget showed up. I assigned only IPv4 192.168.2.99 and subnet 255.255.255.0 and I am able to ftp to 192.168.2.101 with username root and no password.
Thanks, Markismus!
sergeyvl12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 12:12 PM   #260
sergeyvl12
ebook fan
sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 301+, Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Onyx Boox A62, Kindle Touch
Quote:

You need to have the KoboLauncher USBnet on and then the USB cable pluged in for your PC to detect the device/network. Your device will be a network connection.

Luck;
Ken
Thanks, Ken
sergeyvl12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2013, 08:16 PM   #261
swamp thing
Enthusiast

Quote:
... When you then select Microsoft, there should have been a listing of devices, services, and protocols Microsoft provides for "network adapters" - but this is not the case for you?
Ken
Hello Ken,

When I followed the steps after connecting, I reached this stage:

So.. I disconnected the device and started the "Add new device" wizard manually from control panel. (This way, you get to decide exactly what class of device you are going to install). Clicking on Network Adapters --> Microsoft shows that there are no USB type (Remote NDIS) network adapter drivers available:

Quote:
Are you running XP Home?
Windows XP Professional, 32-bit, SP2

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	usbnet_1.jpg
Views:	827
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	116277   Click image for larger version

Name:	usbnet_2.jpg
Views:	1002
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	116278   Click image for larger version

Name:	usbnet_3.jpg
Views:	750
Size:	6.3 KB
ID:	116279  

Last edited by swamp thing; 12-05-2013 at 08:30 PM.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:01 PM   #262
swamp thing
Enthusiast

Progress box similar to msgbox

- deleted -

Last edited by swamp thing; 12-05-2013 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Belongs in different thread
Old 12-06-2013, 12:25 AM   #263
Ken Maltby
Wizard

OK, when you get that "Found New Hardware" what do you see when you right-click on that icon? Also what do you see upon Mouse-over and upon right-clicking on the network icon next to it?

If you can get the Properties of the "RNDIS/Ethernet Gadget" it should show a number of protocols Starting with "Client for Microsoft Networks". The one we want is "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TPC/IPv4). With that highlighted select Properties, and enter the following: for IP address: 192.168.2.100 for Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0 then click on the OK button. You should now be back on the "RNDIS/Ethernet Gadget" property page with "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TPC/IPv4)" highlighted if so click on the "Install" button. Click on the OK button to leave. Follow the rest of the guide to get WinSCP working.

The network icon may show an unidentified network and you may be able to do the above through that.

Luck;
Ken
Old 12-06-2013, 07:53 PM   #264
swamp thing
Enthusiast

Hello Ken,
I found some information that has taken me one step forward, but short of a complete solution.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/and...tethering.html

This web page and many others say that XP has the binary drivers intalled for USB networking, but lacks a .inf file that maps the connecting device to those drivers. Many people have posted various .inf files that are supposed to do this.

I tried one or two of these .inf files and the results are the same.

* During installation, click "Have disk" and browse to the .inf file. Installation "successful".

* A new item appears in the Network Connections window (after a long, long time). -- This did not happen before using the .inf file for installation.

* After right-clicking and selecting properties, nothing happens for a long time (like a couple of minutes).

* Though I am logged in as administrator, the check boxes for different network elements (e.g. File and printer sharing, TCP/IP) are greyed out and there is a message saying I do not have privileges to change these settings.

* It takes forever to do anything with any network connection (including my other existing connections)

* The PC returns to normal only when I disconnect the Kobo

* The Kobo is dead to the world until I "take a paperclip to it".

Last edited by swamp thing; 12-06-2013 at 07:57 PM.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:18 PM   #265
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
Hello Ken,
I found some information that has taken me one step forward, but short of a complete solution.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/and...tethering.html

This web page and many others say that XP has the binary drivers intalled for USB networking, but lacks a .inf file that maps the connecting device to those drivers. Many people have posted various .inf files that are supposed to do this.

I tried one or two of these .inf files and the results are the same.

* During installation, click "Have disk" and browse to the .inf file. Installation "successful".

* A new item appears in the Network Connections window (after a long, long time). -- This did not happen before using the .inf file for installation.

* After right-clicking and selecting properties, nothing happens for a long time (like a couple of minutes).

* Though I am logged in as administrator, the check boxes for different network elements (e.g. File and printer sharing, TCP/IP) are greyed out and there is a message saying I do not have privileges to change these settings.

* It takes forever to do anything with any network connection (including my other existing connections)

* The PC returns to normal only when I disconnect the Kobo

* The Kobo is dead to the world until I "take a paperclip to it".
Hmm... I would undo what ever you did to your PC. You posted pictures of Icons in your System Tray/Toolbar that indicate you had an "RNDIS/Ethernet Gadget" detected by Windows. What did you get when you right-click on that icon? Is there a Properties selection available? If so does it include the items I described?

Luck;
Ken
Old 12-07-2013, 10:45 PM   #266
swamp thing
Enthusiast

Quote:
What did you get when you right-click on that icon? Is there a Properties selection available? If so does it include the items I described?
The yellow ballon just disappears when clicked. The black network icon is just my normal LAN connection.

After installing via the .inf file (as decribed in my earlier post) I could see a new network connection, but it can't be configured and any attempt locks up the network applets.

Anyway the Kobo connects nicely on my friend's Windows-7 PC, and I am going to try from a pen-drive Linux boot that I have lying around.

I think that XP is a lost cause as far as this particular hack.

Thanks, Ken, for taking time to look at my posts!

- Swamp Thing
Old 12-07-2013, 11:00 PM   #267
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
The yellow ballon just disappears when clicked. The black network icon is just my normal LAN connection.

After installing via the .inf file (as decribed in my earlier post) I could see a new network connection, but it can't be configured and any attempt locks up the network applets.

Anyway the Kobo connects nicely on my friend's Windows-7 PC, and I am going to try from a pen-drive Linux boot that I have lying around.

I think that XP is a lost cause as far as this particular hack.

Thanks, Ken, for taking time to look at my posts!

- Swamp Thing
I just tried on my old EEE Netbook which is running Windows XP Home and I ran into the same issue, it sees the RNDIS Gadget but the properties don't have the install or configure and it shows no driver.

Your Kobo would be a connection on that new net, it is the properties of that connection that need to be configured. Odd that XP gets that close then fails. I stayed with XP for a long time myself, but finally went to Windows 7 just about when Windows 8 came out. My desktop looks almost the same as it looked in Windows XP. It wasn't as much of a change as I was expecting.

Luck;
Ken
Old 12-08-2013, 08:14 AM   #268
diogo_abdalla
diogo_abdalla began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo
Hi. Im trying to install the launcher on my kobo glo (latest firmware) using the instructions found here:

http://wiki.vlasovsoft.net/doku.php?...touch_glo_mini

And is not working. Im stuck at the very last step:

After these steps you'll see the launcher icon on your kobo bookshelf:

Where exactly? I did all the steps, but I cant find any new icons, nothing.

Also, where exactly is "flash root/.kobo"? Im noty sure I copied it to the right place, actually.

When I connect my kobo to USB and mount it (using linux), I can see the directory media/KOBOeReader/.kobo. Is that the right place?

Please help
diogo_abdalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:24 AM   #269
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Perhaps these instructions will help:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=226456

First you should have Linux set so that you can see "hidden" files/folders. The "Root" for this process is the "KOBOeReader" directory that you are in when you first connect using your USB cable. There will be the hidden folders .adobe-digital-editions and .kobo in that directory.

You should think of the install process as two separate installs, first adding the PNG file to your Kobo and having the Kobo software process the Image adding it to its database and home page. Then installing the software that will be launched using that image file. It is critical that the image file function normally, as an image that your Kobo displays before reconnecting the USB cable to install the rest of the program.

Luck;
Ken
Old 12-28-2013, 08:08 PM   #270
khahoon
Connoisseur
khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: generic
Help pages are dodo?

"
Ошибка 424: заблокировано правилами безопасности

Если Вы владелец сайта, информацию о причинах возникновения и методах решения данной ошибки можно найти в разделе FAQ.
"
khahoon is offline   Reply With Quote