Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-03-2012, 10:00 AM   #31
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
+1 to Terminator's post, I thought the same. It's true that you can read library books on any epub reader, but as far as I am aware only the Sony PRS-T1 lets you do it directly? I'm not sure how it works with the Sony, but I presume it has the ADE software built in so you don't need to get the ACSM 'file' and then the book?

So is that incorrect?

Last edited by soulfuldog; 05-03-2012 at 10:05 AM.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:39 AM   #32
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
People have mentioned that they are still able to download library books from the Kindle itself. You ar enot suppose to be able to do so but it seems to be easy enough to do. I have not borrowed a book from the library so I can't tell you how but it is doable.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2012, 10:58 AM   #33
Dinghy
Monkfish
Dinghy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo touch or Kindle touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
+1 to Terminator's post, I thought the same. It's true that you can read library books on any epub reader, but as far as I am aware only the Sony PRS-T1 lets you do it directly? I'm not sure how it works with the Sony, but I presume it has the ADE software built in so you don't need to get the ACSM 'file' and then the book?

So is that incorrect?
I'm interested in how this works too in case it only let's you browse and you then have to download via a cp anyway
Dinghy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:22 AM   #34
LuvReadin
Addict
LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and Cool-ER
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
That's not true, asfaik the Sony T1 is the only eReader that lets you borrow library books right from the device. When you go to the Library to download an eBook you don't just download an ePub with an expiration date, you get an ACSM file which you open in Adobe Digital Editions which then downloads your book, which you then load onto your Kobo.
An ACSM file is just a download link, not a book.
I think you might be right - the Kobo website has a good page about use of ADE, and also mentions the Sony.
http://www.kobobooks.com/ade

Have to agree with Synamon, though - I can't imagine having the patience to go through a library catalogue on the ereader.
LuvReadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:29 AM   #35
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinghy View Post
I like the Kindle touch but dont like the price differential between UK and US for the hardware
I'm a little unclear about what "price differential" you're referring to?

The Kindle Touch WiFi without ads costs $139 in the US. That's £86 at the current exchange rate. Add 20% VAT and you get £103. The actual UK price is £109, which seems reasonable enough to me. Do you regard a £6 "mark-up" as particularly outrageous?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2012, 11:46 AM   #36
Dinghy
Monkfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm a little unclear about what "price differential" you're referring to?

The Kindle Touch WiFi without ads costs $139 in the US. That's £86 at the current exchange rate. Add 20% VAT and you get £103. The actual UK price is £109, which seems reasonable enough to me. Do you regard a £6 "mark-up" as particularly outrageous?
Do Amazon not add sales tax to their us pricing then? in any case the lack of library support in the UK kills the kindle for me, it's a shame because I like the new touch
Old 05-03-2012, 11:47 AM   #37
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Do Amazon not add sales tax to their us pricing then?
No. Sales tax is never included in the displayed price in the US.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:48 AM   #38
Dinghy
Monkfish

Fair enough - its down to rip off Britain then
Old 05-03-2012, 11:53 AM   #39
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Why do you say that? The UK's VAT rate is about average for the EU. It's pretty much the same as most of our neighbours (eg France has a rate of 19.6%) and rather lower than that of Ireland, which is 23%. I'm not sure why you feel you're being "ripped off"?
Old 05-03-2012, 12:17 PM   #40
Dinghy
Monkfish

Don't get me started
Old 05-03-2012, 12:22 PM   #41
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

No, not at all. Just didn't want you to think that you were being "ripped off". Many companies do charge significantly more in the UK than the US (Sony are a good example), but Amazon have always played it straight and had very fair UK pricing.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:23 PM   #42
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Personally, the VAT tax strikes me as a massive rip off. It is far too expensive. I understand that taxes are seen in a different light in Europe then they are in the US but I am thrilled to pay a lot less in the US then you folks do across Europe. I do understand that there are benefits to the higher taxes (the maternity leave would be nice) and that people in the US are responsible for providing more of their own health care and educational expenses.

I also think that those higher taxes and the expectations that they create are starting to cause some serious problems across the EU as people are more and more upset that the government will not be providing as many services and that the cost of things like education are on the rise.

Neither system is perfect but my god is the VAT high.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:14 PM   #43
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
I'm interested in how this works too in case it only let's you browse and you then have to download via a cp anyway
You can browse the library on the Kobo Touches web browser, just not download books. You used to be able to download ePub books from DropBox and other sites VIA the web browser but that function seems to be broken in the newest firmware.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:42 AM   #44
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

In the US, you can also download library books directly on the Kindle.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:29 AM   #45
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
In the US, you can also download library books directly on the Kindle.
Although there are exceptions. I just checked some Stephen King titles, and many are USB only.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo touch, newbie, sony t1