Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-02-2011, 11:18 AM   #1
Skye Savoy
Skye Savoy has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSkye Savoy has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSkye Savoy has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSkye Savoy has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSkye Savoy has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSkye Savoy has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSkye Savoy has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSkye Savoy has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSkye Savoy has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSkye Savoy has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSkye Savoy has read every ebook posted at MobileRead

Device: Sony
Talking Funny Things My (Insert Relative Here) Told Me

Here's your chance to share something silly. Every body grew up with old wives tales, myths, funny sayings and phrases- things that make you go I'm working on a compilation and want to include yours. Let me know the phrase, the context in which it was used and how it affected you.

For example, my grandmother used to say that if your nose itched, company was coming. To this day, when my nose itches (which isn't very often), I always expect someone to drop by my office, home, etc.

Let's share some silliness!
Skye Savoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 03:58 PM   #2
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Well, I'm not sure this counts, but when I was about 5, my adult cousin (who is schizophrenic, although I didn't know that at the time), randomly came up to me and said "the holes in your nose are called nostrils" and stared at me. I was so freaked out. I guess it wasn't so much funny as sort of terrifying! I was already scared of him, since he was so incredibly odd and strange to my 5yo sensibilities.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2011, 04:21 AM   #3
amward
Wizard
amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Eco Eclipse, Sony PRS 350 (pink), Ipod Touch, Kindle Touch
My mother used to say always make sure you have on clean underwear with no holes before you go out, in case you're in an accident and get taken to hospital.

I can't believe that anyone would worry about that after an accident but I do change my underwear at least once a day so maybe it had the desired effect
amward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 04:33 AM   #4
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
"If things don't alter, they'll stay as they are", encapsulated my mother's accumulated 78 years of wisdom.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 04:44 AM   #5
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
If your have a whistle in your ear, somebody is thinking you.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2011, 02:17 PM   #6
Skye Savoy
Skye Savoy has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSkye Savoy has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSkye Savoy has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSkye Savoy has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSkye Savoy has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSkye Savoy has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSkye Savoy has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSkye Savoy has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSkye Savoy has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSkye Savoy has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSkye Savoy has read every ebook posted at MobileRead

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
Well, I'm not sure this counts, but when I was about 5, my adult cousin (who is schizophrenic, although I didn't know that at the time), randomly came up to me and said "the holes in your nose are called nostrils" and stared at me. I was so freaked out. I guess it wasn't so much funny as sort of terrifying! I was already scared of him, since he was so incredibly odd and strange to my 5yo sensibilities.
Wow! I think I'd be a little freaked if someone was close enough to my face to tell me about nostrils.
Thanks for sharing!
Old 06-06-2011, 02:19 PM   #7
Skye Savoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by amward View Post
My mother used to say always make sure you have on clean underwear with no holes before you go out, in case you're in an accident and get taken to hospital.

I can't believe that anyone would worry about that after an accident but I do change my underwear at least once a day so maybe it had the desired effect
Clean undies are a must! So is changing them at least once a day.
Great answers!
Old 06-06-2011, 02:20 PM   #8
Skye Savoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
"If things don't alter, they'll stay as they are", encapsulated my mother's accumulated 78 years of wisdom.
Your mother only a few years older than mine. I like her way of thinking.
Thanks!
Old 06-06-2011, 02:22 PM   #9
Skye Savoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by beppe View Post
If your have a whistle in your ear, somebody is thinking you.
Mine have been doing that a lot lately. I hope someone is thinking GOOD thoughts about me!
This is perfect! Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:38 PM   #10
encapuchado
Banned
encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Black Sony Touch (650)
I remember this things from my mom and my maternal granny:

1. If a man sneezes then his mother-in-law is speaking bad about him.
2. If one feels a shiver (or shudder, I'm not sure about the English word) then someone is walking over one's future graveyard.
3. If when eating, the piece of food one is eating falls to the plate before being able to eat it, it is because someone else in the table desired what one is eating.
encapuchado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:49 AM   #11
Bikeridr
Information Acquirer
Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 International, Pocketbook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by encapuchado View Post
2. If one feels a shiver (or shudder, I'm not sure about the English word) then someone is walking over one's future graveyard.
My (Norwegian) mother also says that.

My late grandmother (who lived to see her 91th birthday) said in her older years:
"Not did I know, and not do you know how it is to grow old."
Bikeridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 02:45 AM   #12
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by encapuchado View Post
That one is pretty widely used:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...=goose+walking

Quote:
3. If when eating, the piece of food one is eating falls to the plate before being able to eat it, it is because someone else in the table desired what one is eating.
Yep, my family, too-- if you drop a piece of food, someone has "begrudged" it.

Other family sayings:

If your right hand is itching, you are going to shake hands with a stranger. If your left hand is itching, you are going to come into money.

If your ears are ringing, someone is talking about you (that is another common one.)

A cure for asthma in a child is to stand him/her against a tree and drive in a nail above their head-- when they grow past the level of the nail, the asthma will be cured (my grandmother did that with me (that one isn't original to my family either.)
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 03:26 AM   #13
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
From a hipster, black-sheep but uber-cool uncle:
If your cigarette burns only on one side [unevenly], the very last girl you talked to is thinking some nice thoughts about you...

<it ain't always so...>
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 03:32 AM   #14
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
If your ears are ringing, someone is talking about you (that is another common one.)
We were always told, "If your ears are burning, someone is talking about you."
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 03:38 AM   #15
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
We were always told, "If your ears are burning, someone is talking about you."
Actually, that might have been it. But I don't recall if my ears have ever "burned."
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
idioms, myths, old wives tales, sayings, witty comments