Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-28-2014, 06:23 PM   #1
aarcane
aarcane began at the beginning.

Device: iphone/stanza
simple requirements: eink, epub, and custom fonts

Hey guys. I haven't posted here in a while, but ever since my nst got a messed up screen I've been procrastinating about buying a new one. So now with financial aid impending, i'm actually shopping. My requirements are simple, and as follows:

Eink display. The newer the better. The higher resolution the better. Size should be proportional to the display. I don't want to waste a ton of space on a dedicated keyboard or a slew of buttons

Epub support. I'd Like my reader to support epub2 and epub3 to the extent expected of an eink reader. That is to say that video and audio obviously aren't expected to work, but JavaScript should work well enough to navigate a text that depends on it.

I'm a bit picky about my fonts. To the point that I inept'd all my nook books, threw custom fonts into them, and read them with stanza instead of stock firmware Reader. I'd like to be able to just drop a font into the fonts folder and go.

All that said, I like android. In comfortable with it. If the reader has a sufficient modding community and these features are available third party, I'm okay with that.

Finally, down to size. I have a 7 inch tablet and a 10. The 10 is way too big. My wife's 8 incher is nice, but I was quite satisfied with the size of my nst screen.

I've read a lot of good reviews on The nst glow, but the modding experience was terrible on my nst. I'd prefer something a little more mature. Then again, maybe the newer nst glow is more mature?

All feedback is of course relevant and wanted.
aarcane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 10:07 PM   #2
Cosimo
Groupie
Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I know the Kobo Aura HD is not android based but I do believe it meets your other needs. I would suggest checking out the Kobo forum. There are stickies that may answer more of your questions and there is an excellent group of users who seem very adept at tweaks and hacks.
Cosimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 03:24 AM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
If you expect anything to support EPUB3 you will be sadly disappointed. Basically, iBooks supports it.

The Kindle and Kobo both have fairly mature modding communities. Check out both of them.

Do not reject the Kindle just because it doesn't use EPUB -- you can easily convert all your books to AZW3 (EPUB with a different wrapper) by running calibre overnight.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 03:52 AM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Maybe take a look at the new Onyx Boox T68. Android 4.x and a 6.8" eInk Screen. You can install whatever reading app you want (Moon+ Pro, Mantano, etc.) or use one of the pre-installed ones (FBReader, OnyxReader, AIReader, and CoolReader).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 10:18 AM   #5
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
If fonts are important to you, Kobo's "TypeGenius" functionality, which lets you change the weight of your fonts on the device, is just brilliant. It's only for the pre-installed fonts originally, but there's an easily applied patch that will activate it for sideloaded fonts as well. I can't imagine using a reader without this function anymore.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 04:04 PM   #6
Cosimo
Groupie
Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Here is a link to a discussion about the T68 AnemicOak mentioned. One poster has some hands on comments starting on pg 5.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=241590
Cosimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 09:00 PM   #7
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
If fonts are important to you, Kobo's "TypeGenius" functionality, which lets you change the weight of your fonts on the device, is just brilliant.
Is that available on the Kobo Touch, or just the newer Kobos?
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 09:42 PM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Is that available on the Kobo Touch, or just the newer Kobos?
The Touch has it. All the currently available Kobo e-ink devices share firmware and hence function.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote