Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-07-2008, 01:41 PM   #1
jljones
Enthusiast
jljones is on a distinguished road

Device: Iliad
User replaceable batteries.

It looks as if the EU may make them compulsory in a few years. I think only the Cybook qualifies so far.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/10...pells_trouble/
jljones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 02:14 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jljones View Post
It looks as if the EU may make them compulsory in a few years. I think only the Cybook qualifies so far.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/10...pells_trouble/
The Kindle has a user replaceable battery. Granted, it isn't currently sold in the EU.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2008, 02:52 PM   #3
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
As does the Bebook / Hanlin V3.

I believe it uses a nokia phone battery so its probably the one with best availability as well .
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 03:14 PM   #4
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusybookworm View Post

I believe it uses a nokia phone battery so its probably the one with best availability as well .
That is correct, the Hanlin V3 and rebrands use a standard Nokia battery, available just about anywhere.
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 03:57 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
AFAIK it's only the Sony and iRex devices which don't have user-replaceable batteries.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2008, 04:19 AM   #6
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad
I promote this decision of the EU!

I find it a sad state of our economy we need such laws at first place. The 20th century was beside making money also about a fine handful of idealism. Everbody knew making standards and holding to them will make a larger welthfare, and a better effectifity of the whole economy. Especially the decades after WWII (at least here in europe) everbody was focusing on building it all up again.

Now in the 21th century things have changed, every company tries to make every lock-in trick whenever possible. Batteries are only one example out of so many, is there any lithium-ion battery standard after all?

BTW: As a member of the european union, I still like it. Altough its popular in the population of many participating nations to be against it. But exactly this regulation is something that any nation for itself could hardly do, or it would just marginalise itself. However es EU together its possible. If for example france would make such regulation, most companies would say, okay so no more devices for france. But hardly anybody (except amazons kindle :-) ) would willingly gloss over the whole EU.

Last edited by axel77; 10-08-2008 at 04:24 AM.
axel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 04:24 AM   #7
sorareader
sorareader began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusybookworm View Post

That´s one of the main reasons why I bought the Hanlin V3. The fact that the Sony PRS uses a special kind of battery scared me a bit...

By the way, I have just registered in the forum, so greets to all!
sorareader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 04:25 AM   #8
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorareader View Post
That´s one of the main reasons why I bought the Hanlin V3. The fact that the Sony PRS uses a special kind of battery scared me a bit...

By the way, I have just registered in the forum, so greets to all!
Heartily Welcome!
axel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 05:27 AM   #9
sorareader

Quote:
Originally Posted by axel77 View Post
Heartily Welcome!
Thanks a lot.
Old 10-09-2008, 01:51 AM   #10
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Hopefully this will have a global effect. It's rather annoying when I have to send something in just to get the battery replaced.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 05:18 AM   #11
sorareader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
Hopefully this will have a global effect. It's rather annoying when I have to send something in just to get the battery replaced.
Yes, it´s really inconvenient (and ridiculous). I think that the batteries for this devices should follow a straightforward standard.