Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-30-2008, 09:25 PM   #1
cyberhh
cyberhh began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
PRS-700 Experience (from a PRS-505 owner)

So I went to the Sony store in Costa Mesa to look at the PRS-700 and pickup the light-wedge cover for my 505 and ended up walking out with the 700. The 700 is noticeably lighter/greyer/less visible than the 505, also it feels much thicker. That being said I carry my 505 in my back pocket and the light-wedge was too wide to fit in my back pocket, where the 700 still fits. I also like the reduced buttons and touchscreen of the 700 not to mention the LED light that the 700 offers and began the trip for me.

To make the 700 more readable (it is not terrible by default, but worse than the 500) I changed the size to medium and it is very easy to read.

The 700 is currently charging and I only used it for 15 mins, but the SD scan and resize are much faster than the 505.

I will post more as my return window continues.
cyberhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 10:04 PM   #2
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
im glad that there is another positive review.

about the viewer size, I set the font to size 6 in book designer, so i have a better range of fonts, anything above S was too big for me with the default size 10. I like to have a better range. I wish the font size progression was S-7 M 8 L 9 XL10 XXL12 wish you could set that somewhere as that would be perfect for me.

so for most books im reading either at size 8 M or size 10
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2008, 10:55 PM   #3
cyberhh
cyberhh began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
AndyBaby: I do agree, 8/10 seems about perfect.

PART 2:
The resize is MUCH faster on the PRS-700, 550 page book when small size took 1+ min to resize on the 505, less than 30sec on the 700.

Page advance is also much faster. Before I could count heartbeats, now it is about as fast as turning a pbook page.

VERY HAPPY so far. At this point I expect to have a PRS-505 for sale toot-sweet.
cyberhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 11:35 PM   #4
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
the time it takes to resize is when you are using a format on the reader that it has to convert. if you use Book Designer to convert it to a LRF file before putting it on the reader, the book will be much nicer to read as well as font changes happens automatically
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 12:11 AM   #5
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Opening a 4MB 6MPix .jpg takes like forever!
about 5 minutes load time on a 505.

The 505 is better with it's standard 800x600 resolution,30kB(less than 2 sec. load time),and you won't see the difference anyway, unless you zoom in.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert