Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 02-19-2014, 05:27 PM   #1
skyfish
Enthusiast
skyfish has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: NOOK, Win8 tablet, iPad
COPS and BicBucStriim developers: option to read book in browser with out download

First of all, thanks for developing these great tools. I am using on my Synology server, and it works well.

However, I don't see the option to read the book within the browser. I often need to refer to a book (or textbook), or read from different places. but don't want to download it every time or keep a copy and manage it everywhere I go.

Is it possible to write an extend to either COPS or BicBucStriim so that ebooks can be read within the browser without download? Are there anyone else would like to have this function?

There are open source tools already exist for display ePub and PDF in browser:

PDF.js (PDF viewer that is built with HTML5)
https://github.com/mozilla/pdf.js

Epub.js (javascript library for rendering ePub's in the browser, across many devices)
http://fchasen.github.io/epub.js/

Is it possible to utilize existing modules? How difficult it is to do so? I program somewhat in python, but would like to learn enough PHP and Javascript so I can help the process.

Appreciate your thoughts!!
skyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:54 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyfish View Post
However, I don't see the option to read the book within the browser. I often need to refer to a book (or textbook), or read from different places. but don't want to download it every time or keep a copy and manage it everywhere I go.
EpubReader started as a Firefox extension for reading books in your browser it might be close to what you are looking for.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2014, 04:12 AM   #3
vlad59
Addict
vlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five words

Device: Kobo eReader Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Hi,

I can only speak for COPS. I recently added an Epub reader into COPS (using Monocle not epub.js). You'll have to download the latest github as I've not released it officially.

A user has contributed the pdf reader but I've not had enough time to merge it for now.
vlad59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 04:58 PM   #4
textmulch
Enthusiast
textmulch began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad
Sorry for the late reply. Yes, for BicBucStriim these features are on the agenda, in a post-1.2 version. There were already tests with epub.js, a while ago, but with mixed results. I'll have to check both again.

It's not only about reading the books in the browser. Once you offer that readers will require more: bookmarks, quotes, notes etc. The stuff everybody, including me of course, likes to have in a reading app.
textmulch is offline   Reply With Quote