Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-27-2013, 04:26 PM   #466
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I don't know what you mean here. When I insert the SD card, the black processing screen is shown while it process any new books. If there aren't any, then the home screen updates if any of the books on the card should be there.
When you have the card inserted and turn on the Kobo, the following things happen in sequence:

1. Light beside power switch flashes to show that the unit is powering up.
2. Screen clears and shows boot animation.
3. 5 most recent books on the Kobo device show in the carousel.
4. Screen refreshes to show 5 most recent books on the device and card in the carousel.

Currently, there is no visible indication after step 3 that step 4 is coming, and the delay can take a while...long enough to make one wonder if the device is going to read the card at all. Sometimes it doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor
As there is no way to get a book onto the card except in a way that will cause a scan, this isn't needed.
In theory, this is true. In reality, try removing the card while the device is on and you're at the home screen, loading a book or two on the card, then inserting the card. Sometimes the device will detect the insertion and trigger a scan, and sometimes it won't. Couple that with the above issue - that there's no way to tell whether the device is scanning the card unless it does so and finds new content to process, thus triggering the "processing" screen - and this is a problem.

Quote:
You mean when you connect the device to the PC and delete via the PC? They do get removed, but I think you have to restart the device. I haven't done this for a while.

You will have to explain this. I know what happens when you change a book and I believe I know why it works that way. But, that doesn't agree with "treating it as a brand-new book" and shelves. That makes me think you are seeing something different than what I see. Is this only an issue on the SD card?
I almost never connect my device to my PC; that's why I have a card. Consider this sequence:

1. Book X exists on the card, and I've put it on a couple of shelves.
2. I edit the copy of X that's on my hard drive - say, to fix a cover or tweak the title.
3. With the device off, I pop the card from the device, insert it into the PC, and replace the old copy with the revised one - keeping the same filename and everything.
4. I eject the card, replace it in the device, and power the device on.

In every case so far, the updated X gets detected as a new book. Any reading progress goes away, all shelving data is erased, it shows up in the Most Recent carousel - it's a new book. The old X doesn't show up in the library or on any shelves, having been replaced.

Furthermore, over time, it takes the device longer and longer to scan the card. (It's taken my device over 20 minutes before, with maybe 150 books on the card and only a few of those having been changed.) Doing a factory reset (or just wiping the database) and scanning the card from scratch takes a fraction of the scan time, but naturally that has the drawback of losing all the shelf/progress information the database had.

My theory is that instead of old-X getting either updated in or properly removed from the database, it's getting hidden (supplanted by new-X) and is still taking up space...thus adding to processing time, as observed. There needs to be some way of streamlining the database and/or speeding up scan time.

As for whether this only happens on the SD card - no, it also happens if I connect the device to the PC and manually replace standard EPUBs (not kepubs) stored in the internal memory. (Again, manually - as in, not through sync software but through Windows Explorer file copying.)
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:30 PM   #467
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Wasn't it doing a (Wifi) sync that got them deleted (instead of a restart)?
Either way, it's not working - I seldom put my device to sleep (preferring to power down completely), and I sync over WiFi fairly frequently. Even so, my "processing content" wait time is getting longer and longer. I can easily wait a couple of minutes for the percentage to tick from 6% to 11%.
Advert
Old 02-27-2013, 04:34 PM   #468
Rev. Bob
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
If present, use the cover image defined in the OPF, either in the <guide> or <metadata> sections, as defined here, and only fall back to "render first page" if no such definition is found. What's wrong with using the metadata when it's there, rather than discarding it?
I think the problem is that the cover image inside a DRM epub is not available to the firmware, all it can do is ask the Adobe reader to render it and use whatever image that results.
That's not the case with the books I'm using, which don't use DRM.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:44 PM   #469
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
When you have the card inserted and turn on the Kobo, the following things happen in sequence:

1. Light beside power switch flashes to show that the unit is powering up.
2. Screen clears and shows boot animation.
3. 5 most recent books on the Kobo device show in the carousel.
4. Screen refreshes to show 5 most recent books on the device and card in the carousel.

Currently, there is no visible indication after step 3 that step 4 is coming, and the delay can take a while...long enough to make one wonder if the device is going to read the card at all. Sometimes it doesn't.
I haven't seen enough of a delay between 3 and 4 to make me concerned. And if 2 happens, I know that 4 will happen so I wait.
Quote:
In theory, this is true. In reality, try removing the card while the device is on and you're at the home screen, loading a book or two on the card, then inserting the card. Sometimes the device will detect the insertion and trigger a scan, and sometimes it won't. Couple that with the above issue - that there's no way to tell whether the device is scanning the card unless it does so and finds new content to process, thus triggering the "processing" screen - and this is a problem.
The problem with that is the only reason a scan won't happen is if the device doesn't see the card. And if it doesn't see the card at all, how can it tell you that it isn't doing the scan? I have had circumstances where the scan didn't happen, but the device put up a prompt saying there was a problem with the card.
Quote:
I almost never connect my device to my PC; that's why I have a card. Consider this sequence:

1. Book X exists on the card, and I've put it on a couple of shelves.
2. I edit the copy of X that's on my hard drive - say, to fix a cover or tweak the title.
3. With the device off, I pop the card from the device, insert it into the PC, and replace the old copy with the revised one - keeping the same filename and everything.
4. I eject the card, replace it in the device, and power the device on.

In every case so far, the updated X gets detected as a new book. Any reading progress goes away, all shelving data is erased, it shows up in the Most Recent carousel - it's a new book. The old X doesn't show up in the library or on any shelves, having been replaced.
I see. I normally connect the device and maintain the card or device from the PC. I'll have a play and see what happens.
Quote:
Furthermore, over time, it takes the device longer and longer to scan the card. (It's taken my device over 20 minutes before, with maybe 150 books on the card and only a few of those having been changed.) Doing a factory reset (or just wiping the database) and scanning the card from scratch takes a fraction of the scan time, but naturally that has the drawback of losing all the shelf/progress information the database had.

My theory is that instead of old-X getting either updated in or properly removed from the database, it's getting hidden (supplanted by new-X) and is still taking up space...thus adding to processing time, as observed. There needs to be some way of streamlining the database and/or speeding up scan time.
All that is surprising. I've spent a lot of time looking at the database after just about any operation. I haven't done the checks with 2.4.0, but with the previous few firmware versions, the database was kept clean. But, records for the SD card stay there until the books are removed. Ejecting the card and inserting it again should not change the database. But ejecting and inserting a new card will remove all the books from the first card and add all the books from the second card. The same happens if you eject the card, delete a few books and add different ones. And I have never found duplicates for a book unless the file name or path of the book changed.
Quote:
As for whether this only happens on the SD card - no, it also happens if I connect the device to the PC and manually replace standard EPUBs (not kepubs) stored in the internal memory. (Again, manually - as in, not through sync software but through Windows Explorer file copying.)
I haven't done that for an SD card, so I don't completely know what will happen. I assumed it was the same as for the main memory, but I will have to test. It might be different depending on whether it is done through the device or when the card is ejected.

For the main memory, what happens depends on the firmware. With the current firmware, if you replace a book (exact same name and path), if the file size changes, the device removes the book completely during the processing. Then you have to add the book again. That means it is treated as brand new book. This is a defence mechanism on Kobo's part. It doesn't know what changed, so it doesn't know if it is safe to accept. Because the most likely changes are style or text changes, the calibre driver updates the file size in the database so that the files are not rejected. But, if structure of the epub file changes, these aren't handled. The most likely problem is that the TOC doesn't work, but it has caused the device to reboot on older firmware.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:39 PM   #470
Rev. Bob
Wizard

Quote:
I haven't seen enough of a delay between 3 and 4 to make me concerned. And if 2 happens, I know that 4 will happen so I wait.

The problem with that is the only reason a scan won't happen is if the device doesn't see the card. And if it doesn't see the card at all, how can it tell you that it isn't doing the scan? I have had circumstances where the scan didn't happen, but the device put up a prompt saying there was a problem with the card.
Conversely, if the device doesn't see the card, how does the user tell the difference between "step 4 is coming, so hang on and wait while I check the card for changes" and "I don't see that there's a card to scan, so there is no step 4"? I have had both the "significant 3-4 delay" and "no card seen" problems, and only rarely have I seen the "bad card" message.

Quote:
All that is surprising. I've spent a lot of time looking at the database after just about any operation. I haven't done the checks with 2.4.0, but with the previous few firmware versions, the database was kept clean. But, records for the SD card stay there until the books are removed. Ejecting the card and inserting it again should not change the database. But ejecting and inserting a new card will remove all the books from the first card and add all the books from the second card. The same happens if you eject the card, delete a few books and add different ones. And I have never found duplicates for a book unless the file name or path of the book changed.
Next time I get a chance, I'll hook my reader up, look at the database to determine number of lines, and then try (a) replacing a book on the card through the USB cable, (b) replacing the same book through the power-off-eject-card process, and (c, d) deleting the book through the device and then adding it back through each of the above methods. At no point in these tests will I engage either wifi sync or desktop software sync, to shut out all external factors.

If the database is behaving correctly, all five versions of the database should contain the same number of lines, right?

Quote:
For the main memory, what happens depends on the firmware. With the current firmware, if you replace a book (exact same name and path), if the file size changes, the device removes the book completely during the processing. Then you have to add the book again. That means it is treated as brand new book.
That's consistent with my experience, as far back as I remember.

Quote:
This is a defence mechanism on Kobo's part. It doesn't know what changed, so it doesn't know if it is safe to accept.
I can understand that, at least up to a point. I would certainly prefer to see the device do something like "if the assigned unique identifier is the same as the old version, transfer the shelving and progress data over to the new version, because it's the same book."
Advert
Old 02-27-2013, 11:47 PM   #471
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Conversely, if the device doesn't see the card, how does the user tell the difference between "step 4 is coming, so hang on and wait while I check the card for changes" and "I don't see that there's a card to scan, so there is no step 4"? I have had both the "significant 3-4 delay" and "no card seen" problems, and only rarely have I seen the "bad card" message.
Any time the device has detected the card, something happens quickly to tell me. Maybe there are other steps that happen a little later, but I could tell that the device knew about the card immediately. Anytime the card was not detected, the device did nothing. BUt, I'll have to put a card in that has a few books and watch what happens. And then eject and reinsert.
Quote:
Next time I get a chance, I'll hook my reader up, look at the database to determine number of lines, and then try (a) replacing a book on the card through the USB cable, (b) replacing the same book through the power-off-eject-card process, and (c, d) deleting the book through the device and then adding it back through each of the above methods. At no point in these tests will I engage either wifi sync or desktop software sync, to shut out all external factors.

If the database is behaving correctly, all five versions of the database should contain the same number of lines, right?
Are you changing the book in any way? If so, (a) should result in one less book on the device and hence less lines in the content table. I would expect the same for (b) but haven't tested it. (c) and (d) should have the same number. If you use an unchanged book with exactly the same file name and path each time, then the number of rows in the content table shouldn't change.
[/QUOTE]
I can understand that, at least up to a point. I would certainly prefer to see the device do something like "if the assigned unique identifier is the same as the old version, transfer the shelving and progress data over to the new version, because it's the same book."[/QUOTE]

The device can't do that because it no longer knows about the book. When the device detects the book has changed (looking at file size) it deletes the book and removes it from the database. You have to do whatever you usually do to put another copy of the book onto the device. At that time, it is a new book to the device because it removed all details of it in the first step.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:53 PM   #472
Rev. Bob
Wizard

Quote:
Quote:
I can understand that, at least up to a point. I would certainly prefer to see the device do something like "if the assigned unique identifier is the same as the old version, transfer the shelving and progress data over to the new version, because it's the same book."
The device can't do that because it no longer knows about the book. When the device detects the book has changed (looking at file size) it deletes the book and removes it from the database. You have to do whatever you usually do to put another copy of the book onto the device. At that time, it is a new book to the device because it removed all details of it in the first step.
Actually, no - the device rescans the book, rather than deleting it and requiring a recopy. And if the device were to compare those details before deleting the book from the database, it could do that.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:24 AM   #473
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Actually, no - the device rescans the book, rather than deleting it and requiring a recopy. And if the device were to compare those details before deleting the book from the database, it could do that.
What firmware are you using? 2.3.1, 2.3.2 and 2.4.0 will delete the changed book.

Edit:

I did the testing I should have done before. The device treats books on the SD card differently than in the main memory:

- In the main memory, if the size of the book changes, then the book and all details about it will be deleted. You then have to connect and put the book back onto the device.

- On the SD card, if the book changes size, the book is removed from the database and then added as a new book.

The fix I put into calibre a while ago to handle this is to update the file size in the database on the device. When I did this, the book in either type of memory was retained in the database with no change. It didn't lose the reading status or the shelves it was on.

Last edited by davidfor; 02-28-2013 at 01:13 AM. Reason: Tested what happened with SD cards
Old 02-28-2013, 03:25 AM   #474
Rev. Bob
Wizard

Quote:
To add some numbers to this...

I just turned my Kobo Touch (firmware 2.4.0, later release) on - about 55 books onboard, about 145 more on the card, no changes since I last had it on. It took about 10-12 seconds to get from step 3 (show device's most recent books) to step 4 (refresh the carousel to show device+card's most recent books). I consider that a significant delay, especially with no indication at all that the device is doing anything during that time. Flash the boot LED, show the pinwheel, whatever...but do something to tell the user that the device isn't frozen during that time!
Old 02-28-2013, 05:29 AM   #475
trinity1
Enthusiast
trinity1 can differentiate black from dark navy bluetrinity1 can differentiate black from dark navy bluetrinity1 can differentiate black from dark navy bluetrinity1 can differentiate black from dark navy bluetrinity1 can differentiate black from dark navy bluetrinity1 can differentiate black from dark navy bluetrinity1 can differentiate black from dark navy bluetrinity1 can differentiate black from dark navy bluetrinity1 can differentiate black from dark navy bluetrinity1 can differentiate black from dark navy bluetrinity1 can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Glo
Anybody has noticed that Avenir, Gill Sans and Kobo nickel "view" italic as bold? Furthermore there is Ryumin that shows italic (at least) but ALSO in bold. I tried to install some fonts (taken from my laptop) and I found that Tahoma works, even if you loose the Advanced font options... So I'll say that a better font management is really needed (and I'd be really glad to be able to fully manage also my personal fonts).
In any case at least ALL the fonts included by default should be complete
trinity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:20 AM   #476
Francois_C
Zealot
Francois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Touch, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
I would appreciate if the device would optionally show author and title in the carousel instead of book covers.
If books have no DRM, you can remove the cover (with Sigil or Calibre "modify epub" plugin - that does not always work properly with some covers). Covers may occupy half of the whole file size, and the black and white image rendering, indeed, is not really beautiful. If the file has no cover, Kobo will display a generic one, that is not ugly at all (looks like our Gallimard "Collection blanche" prestigious covers).
But I agree about a "text only" display of titles, with as many books per page as possible, since finding a book in the library is so slow and boring. I would also like an option for having this list displayed at startup, instead of the carousel which is only a commercial gimmick.
Francois_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:10 AM   #477
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois_C View Post
If the file has no cover, Kobo will display a generic one, that is not ugly at all (looks like our Gallimard "Collection blanche" prestigious covers).
This is only with kepub.epubs, isn't it? Simple epubs without cover image are represented with the first displaying page of the book, which is not always indicative.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:49 AM   #478
Francois_C
Zealot
Francois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Touch, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
This is only with kepub.epubs, isn't it? Simple epubs without cover image are represented with the first displaying page of the book, which is not always indicative.
I never purchased kepubs and I'll never do because I hate DRM.
But you seem to be right: I have just removed the cover from an epub (made with Amanuensis). I deleted the cover page and the image with Sigil, and the first page is displayed instead. Maybe the default cover is only displayed with an unreachable image. I'll try with a 0-byte cover image, but this would be only a workaround...
[Later] You are absolutely right: I gave two tries, with a zero-byte cover image, then with no cover image at all (a practice I don't agree with), but the Kobo displays a white cover in both cases. It seems to display the default cover only while charging the epub cover, or when it does not find it.
So a "generic cover" option would be great.
Another useless feature: Reading life; why should I admire my reading performances, why should I be rewarded for a pleasure, why should I show this triumph to the whole world on Facebook? Just modern craziness...

Last edited by Francois_C; 03-01-2013 at 08:12 AM.
Francois_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:36 AM   #479
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Or, you could have Calibre generate a cover. It gives you plain title and author text, and a Calibre logo ...
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:28 PM   #480
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois_C View Post
Another useless feature: Reading life; why should I admire my reading performances, why should I be rewarded for a pleasure, why should I show this triumph to the whole world on Facebook? Just modern craziness...
Some of us quite like Reading Life. I like to see my reading stats and the awards are just a little bit of fun. I'd be upset if this was removed Anyway, you can turn Reading Life off if you don't like it.
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
feature requests, firmware, kobo