Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-04-2010, 12:12 PM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Funny reactions from my students

I have been using the iPad with my students this week---I teach French and often use Powerpoint shows to illustrate stories we're reading. I also play music on it when we do music so I don't have to carry around tons of CDs.

I have found so far that it's best to spend a few minutes at the beginning letting them look at it and see some of the non-school apps because otherwise they keep interrupting to pester you about it or tell you stuff like how their dad has one or whatever. Most of the older kids knew what it was and had seen or played with or heard about the iPad already. Many had parents who had an iPhone. I gave them a minute or two to report to me about this, then moved on with my lesson.

But today I had my pre-K class---these are 3-year-olds. And the first thing they said was 'Oh, it's a phone!' I know it's similar to the iPhone, but I guess since I have an iPod Touch myself I didn't make the connection that most people who use this interface do use it in a phone, and that is the most common application right now for this sort of touch screen. And I did not realize that my littlest students, who have Blackberry-addicted parents, might not actually have a regular phone in their house anymore and might only have ever seen the touchscreen cell phone as their sole experience!

It's like when the first version of Kid Pix came out and there was a typewriter sound effect. My little sister (ten years younger) asked me what it was. It was the first moment of my life where I ever though 'I feel old.' And now I had another of those moments today. A lot of my students will grow up in homes without a landline---without a need for anything which has to be plugged in at all, I bet. A wireless world where you carry all your worldly media on a memory stick and pop it into or out of various screens---or download it onto them from thin air. The times, they are a-changing.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 12:25 PM   #2
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
.................................................."Welcome to the future!"
.................................................. ............ /
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 07:32 PM   #3
AMacD
Al
AMacD doesn't litterAMacD doesn't litter

Location: Bardstown, KY as home base, but RV following the seasons.
Device: Kindle1 and Kindle2 and Palm T|X
Not much thin air left anymore, it is thick with EMF radiation.
AMacD is offline   Reply With Quote