Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 11-08-2013, 01:53 PM   #1
oakwood
oakwood began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Post cbr to pdf - avoid white margins on pages with different size

Hi to all

I have (several) cbr files, and I am interested in convert them to pdf.
After I learned about the "disable comic processing" option, in the "comic input" pane, I manage to convert them nicely, but tere is a problem.

Frequently, some of the pages in the cbr file have a different size with respect of the others. Mostly this happens when there is a "double page": artwork has been drawn in such a way that it was better to have two pages joined together. This means that that page in the source cbr file has a different (larger) dimension from the others.

When Calibre performs the conversion, it wants all the output pages to have the same dimensions, so it adds (white) margins to all the other pages.
This is not the result I want, because in the "full screen" mode on the tablet I end with half the screen used by these added white margins!

On the other hand, the tablet is perfectly capable to manage pages with different sizes in the same pdf, resizing to full screen each different page.

Is there a way to tell calibre that I am happy with an output pdf file with pages of different size?

oakwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:25 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No, there isn't. All pages in PDF produced by calibre have to be the same size. If youwant to read comics on tablets, why not just use a comic book reader, that can directly read cbz, cbr?
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:40 PM   #3
oakwood
oakwood began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Thank you kovidgoyal for your reply!
Well, to answer to your question, I use a lot the pdf format, I like the many features of GoodReader, and I would prefer to have all my files in one place.
I am planning to prepare a script to unpack the cbr archives and repack the jpg files in a single pdf.

Anyway, what app would you advice, to read cbr files on iPad?

Thank you again!
oakwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:52 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I'm not an iPad user, but I am sure there are plenty of comic reading apps for it.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, cbr, cbr to pdf, conversion, conversion cbr pdf