Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 09-16-2008, 12:42 PM   #1
Slimjum
Slimjum began at the beginning.

Device: RCA REB1100
Unearthed an old REB1100

Afreind just handed me an RCA REB 1100 she discovered while cleaning a closet and asked if I could get her started with it. "Sure," I said. "No problem"

15 seconds later I found my first problem - the box seemed to have everything (cables, CD, etc.) except the AC adaptor! Plugging it into my computer didn't charge the device via the USB connection.

I guess I could adapt one of the many old adaptors I have lying around, but what's the voltage of the original adaptor? Also, is the polarity of the plug the standare "+" on the middle contact and "-" on the outside.

Any help would very much appreciated.
Slimjum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 01:16 PM   #2
ashkulz
Addict
ashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 1/REB 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimjum View Post
Afreind just handed me an RCA REB 1100 she discovered while cleaning a closet and asked if I could get her started with it. "Sure," I said. "No problem"

15 seconds later I found my first problem - the box seemed to have everything (cables, CD, etc.) except the AC adaptor! Plugging it into my computer didn't charge the device via the USB connection.

I guess I could adapt one of the many old adaptors I have lying around, but what's the voltage of the original adaptor? Also, is the polarity of the plug the standare "+" on the middle contact and "-" on the outside.

Any help would very much appreciated.
It's +12V DC. I don't know about the polarity, you'll have to experiment

Also note that if you haven't used it for a lot of time, it will take around 5-10 mins to charge up enough so that the screen will turn on -- don't think that the unit has died in the meantime. It does scare you the first time it happens You should also upgrade the firmware -- see the REB1100files yahoo group and the REB flash recovery page.
ashkulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2008, 01:53 PM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Slimjum and welcome to the Forum
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 01:56 PM   #4
Slimjum

Thanks, ashkulz, I'll give it a try when I get home tonight.

Another question: If my understanding is correct, the REB1100 uses .rb format files. Is there a way to convert PDF files to this format?
Old 09-16-2008, 02:15 PM   #5
ashkulz
Addict
ashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Thanks, ashkulz, I'll give it a try when I get home tonight.

Another question: If my understanding is correct, the REB1100 uses .rb format files. Is there a way to convert PDF files to this format?
You asked the right person: pdfread to the rescue [which I wrote]. There's an updated version at Mobileread also, but for the 1100 there's not much difference between the two.

And welcome to the forum, which I forgot to say!
Advert
Old 09-17-2008, 06:37 PM   #6
Slimjum

I was able to piece together a charger last night the got the EB1100 fully charged in a couple of hours. Although this unit hadn't been used since 2000, it still had a copy of "Around the World in 80 Days" in memory.

I then installed the Ebook Library software supplied with the REB1100. The drivers were installed and the program recognized my reader.

Ashkulz, I installed your PDF converter and ran a 200+ page book through it. The .rb file was created with no problem. But--- I can't get the file loaded onto the reader. I've been trying to use the Ebook Librarian software that came with the reader, but the program doesn't recognize the newly-created .rb file and therefore, I can't transfer it to the reader.

I noticed the although the Ebook Library program has the titles of the books listed in the "titles" pane, the actual directory doesn't list those names. Instead the titles have a different name (e.g. "pub-9-000024.rb"). Except, of course, my converted file which has the name I gave it when I ran the conversion.

I thought I could do a drag 'n drop to copy the file to the reader, but I can't find the device with either Windows Explorer or My Computer (I'm using XP w/SP 3).

What am I doing wrong here?
Old 09-17-2008, 11:45 PM   #7
ashkulz
Addict

I haven't used the ebook librarian in ages (I use linux with rbmake and rebcomm), but from what I recall once you start it you have to press "Ins" [Or Title -> Insert], select the file and then it will prompt you to send to the ebook. If the prompt doesn't come, then you can right-click the book in the upper library window and say "Send to Internal Memory" or something like that.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:52 AM   #8
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
I was able to piece together a charger last night the got the EB1100 fully charged in a couple of hours. Although this unit hadn't been used since 2000, it still had a copy of "Around the World in 80 Days" in memory.
What size SmartMedia card do you have installed, if any? In the About menu, click Details and see how much free memory is on the ebook reader and/or SM memory card. I suspect you may have run out of memory when loading that title (200+ pdf conversion).

Quote:
I then installed the Ebook Library software supplied with the REB1100. The drivers were installed and the program recognized my reader.

Ashkulz, I installed your PDF converter and ran a 200+ page book through it. The .rb file was created with no problem. But--- I can't get the file loaded onto the reader. I've been trying to use the Ebook Librarian software that came with the reader, but the program doesn't recognize the newly-created .rb file and therefore, I can't transfer it to the reader.
If you are using the 'eBook Librarian' by Gemstar, just Import Title... and navigate to where the .rb is stored and then 'Send to Memory card'. A copy will be placed in your Window pane (find it using the title given to the ebook). Note: to have this work properly, you should have 'Update Title Information' when requested, just after your REB1100 was turned on/program started.

Quote:
I noticed the although the Ebook Library program has the titles of the books listed in the "titles" pane, the actual directory doesn't list those names. Instead the titles have a different name (e.g. "pub-9-000024.rb"). Except, of course, my converted file which has the name I gave it when I ran the conversion.

I thought I could do a drag 'n drop to copy the file to the reader, but I can't find the device with either Windows Explorer or My Computer (I'm using XP w/SP 3).

What am I doing wrong here?
The title supplied by you in the GUI of PDFRead 1.8 should show up in the window pane and may be different than the filename of the .rb ebook.

No drag 'n drop option is possible; no, the reader does not show up as a usb device/drive. You need to use the 'eBook Librarian' by Gemstar that came with your unit (check the CD) to communicate with your REB1100 or check the RB wiki for a copy of that program.

If it still doesn't work, try experiementing with a smaller .pdf conversion first.

Last edited by nrapallo; 09-18-2008 at 11:42 AM. Reason: added link to RB wiki page
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 01:19 PM   #9
Slimjum

Gentlemen:

Thanks to your above suggestions Nick, I found my problem. I did not import the title. When I used Ashkulz' program to convert the PDF file I set the new file's destination as the directory where the other titles were stored, but Ebook Librarian didn't acknowledge its existence. Apparently importing files does something to make the book recognizable to Ebook Librarian. I moved the file to my desktop, imported it and it worked without a hitch!

There was no memory card in the box w/the reader but I was able to just fit the book onto the reader. I'm only doing this to help out a friend. If she wants more memory she can get a card.

Thanks to both of you. I never would have been able to do this without your help!