Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-22-2013, 05:34 PM   #46
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
I equally see your point, but since it isn't neither the first nor the last series which 1st piece was intended as a stand-alone I'd say we agree on disagreement.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:19 PM   #47
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
P.S. I promise not to lie about having read it or not, if you promise not to waste time trying to thwart the "not part of any series" rule through the usual semantic hooey.
Sensing some of the usual semantic hooey brewing.

Here's my definition of stand-alone: The fictional characters and/or fictional setting/universe have not--at this point in time--been reused in any other books. Books that stand alone today can have their stand-alone status revoked tomorrow if the author decides to revisit those characters/settings.

Everyone's free to have their own definitions of course, but for this exercise, that's what I envision for rule six.

Exclusion of a work based on that criteria should not be taken as any form of derision or condescension. I just prefer true "one-off" works the majority of the time.

Now, having said that... I've discovered that The Wind-up Bird Chronicle was originally published in Japan in three separate books. It was later published as one book in the English translation. I'm feeling a little conflicted over that fact, but I've already started and taken a bit of a shine to it.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:49 PM   #48
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I appreciate all the suggestions--and I'm jotting many of them down for the times I'm capable of making my own decisions--but keep in mind that my problem isn't finding things I'd like to read, but rather pulling the trigger on something I want to read right now.

The decision to read The Wind-up Bird Chronicle was already made for me; and I'm going to follow through on it.

So while I certainly don't mind if the suggestions continue, keep in mind that if I find myself in another "too many choices for me to make a decision" funk sometime in the future, we'll be right back to a "I'm reading the first thing someone posts that doesn't break the rules" scenario.
Diap:

I have one in production right now, called "Tales from 2040," which--heaven help me--I think may actually turn out to be an important book. I am reading it. I'm so far mesmerized by it. May I send you a copy when it's G2G? I know you said, "available right now," but...forgive me, I just feel differently about this one. It will be widely available freely when published, so the author will not mind me sending you a copy in your preferred format. (It will be available in ePUB, MOBI and even ePDF).

Let me know, and you can PM the details of sending it if/when you wish.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:24 PM   #49
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Since it's the 2nd time you mention that it made an significant impression on you, mark me as interested too. We agree on plenty topics and it 'll be a pleasure to find out if reading tastes are too an item on that list.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:37 PM   #50
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
Since it's the 2nd time you mention that it made an significant impression on you, mark me as interested too. We agree on plenty topics and it 'll be a pleasure to find out if reading tastes are too an item on that list.
Normally, this wouldn't have caught my eye. I'm not great with dystopian futurism, and usually, utopian futurism makes me sort of want to shriek because it invariably proposes a "reality" that goes against all the primal ooze in our brains and biological programming. ;-) I "met" with the client on the phone a few times, and found him incredibly bright, well-informed, just...impressive. I was intrigued enough by his entire intelligence and view of things to actually start reading the book. It's--thus far--completely captivated me. (I'm about...38% done?) I'm not even sure how I'd categorize this book, truthfully. I'm taking my time reading it, but, FS, I'll happily add you to my list of "books to send." Can you send me a ping and let me know your preferred format, and a suitable place to send?

I've asked him--as he's giving it away in large quantities--to consider putting it in the MR library. I explained to him how incredible the MR audience is, overall--as the US cartoon Yogi Bear says, "smarter than the average bear." And I think this book requires smart people. We'll see (about the MR library)! I hope he does. (And, of course, now I'm hoping that everyone on MR doesn't end up thinking I'm an utter dolt, too, ).

Hitch
Old 04-22-2013, 09:34 PM   #51
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
May I send you a copy when it's G2G? I know you said, "available right now," but...forgive me, I just feel differently about this one. It will be widely available freely when published, so the author will not mind me sending you a copy in your preferred format. (It will be available in ePUB, MOBI and even ePDF).
Absolutely! I'll PM you my particulars.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:14 AM   #52
bucsie
Connoisseur
bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Can I intrude on the topic and ask for the "Tales from 2040" too? You just made it so intriguing!
bucsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:47 PM   #53
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucsie View Post
Can I intrude on the topic and ask for the "Tales from 2040" too? You just made it so intriguing!
Bucsie:

As soon as it's ready, I'll ask the publisher. I can't presume to give his copies away willy-nilly, but I believe he'll be fine with it. I have proposed that he put it here, in the Library. I'll add you to the list, and if/when it's available, I'll PM you so you can tell me how to send it. Sound good?

Hitch
Old 05-07-2013, 02:03 AM   #54
bucsie
Connoisseur
bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Sounds perfect!
Thanks!
bucsie is offline   Reply With Quote