Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-06-2009, 01:31 PM   #31
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
At (ahem!) almost-50, I qualify as one of the older gens, but I have no problem reading on LCD screens. The point is, everybody's different, so making blanket statements like that is pointless and counter-productive.
I'm ever-so-slightly over 50, and have no problem reading from LCD screens. These days, I do most of my pleasure reading on e-ink. Before I had my dedicated readers, however, I happily read hundreds of books on PDA screens and could easily do so again. In fact, I still prefer to read via LCD in bed rather than deal with special book lights on my Kindle or Cybook.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 12:26 PM   #32
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
I was hoping for more news on this today... I suspect they're going to allow mobipocket readers to read kindle books. At least I hope so.

It angers me that the same book costs $12 less in kindle format than it does in mobipocket. Hopefully this will solve that.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2009, 03:05 AM   #33
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I never understood why they'd make a kindle format in the first place. Especially as the Kindle is only available in the States, you block a lot of potential buyers. I read primarily English books, and have bought my share from Amazon.com. But I am not allowed anymore, because I don't want to buy pbooks but ebooks...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:36 AM   #34
nelsonescorcio
Zealot
nelsonescorcio doesn't litternelsonescorcio doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen 3
"I have no problem reading on my backlight PDA. But, I must admit, I turned the colours around. So, instead of a dark letter against a light background, I use a light letter against a dark background. It works great and can read for hours in a dark room."

Yes, you can. The thing is, should you?
The e-ink seems to me far, FAR more confortable, and it does protected your eyes (at least in the long term). I spend all day in front of an LCD screen (yes, I also work with a dark background and white text - it stresses less my eyes). In the end of the day my eyes fell, still, very, very stressed.
But I can go back home and read in my Cybook with no problem at all!

Just my experience, naturally... :-)

Last edited by nelsonescorcio; 02-10-2009 at 05:57 AM.
nelsonescorcio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:42 AM   #35
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonescorcio View Post
What about your eyes, man, your eyes? Don't they star hurting after a few time?!

I find backlight screens simply awfull to read in a dark room (bedroom). I really can't stand them too long - and I already couldn't before I read in e-ink screens (like I do now).

Yes, a backlight screens are very convenient, but the price seems utterly too high...

(PS: I use my new Verilux at night for a few days now, and many people here were right - it is the best light for night reading, far superior then the Mighty Bright. Have you already tryed it, bwaldron?)
I have no problem reading on my backlight PDA. But, I must admit, I turned the colours around. So, instead of a dark letter against a light background, I use a light letter against a dark background. It works great and can read for hours in a dark room.
Advert
Old 02-10-2009, 05:46 AM   #36
Argel
Opinionated [but right]
Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS 505, Kindle International, HTC Desire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I have no problem reading on my backlight PDA. But, I must admit, I turned the colours around. So, instead of a dark letter against a light background, I use a light letter against a dark background. It works great and can read for hours in a dark room.
I tried the gold on blue background recommended by organisations for people with visual impairment and found it much more restful in the dark.
Argel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:55 AM   #37
nelsonescorcio
Zealot

"I have no problem reading on my backlight PDA. But, I must admit, I turned the colours around. So, instead of a dark letter against a light background, I use a light letter against a dark background. It works great and can read for hours in a dark room."

The e-ink seems to me far, FAR more confortable, and it does protected your eyes (at least in the long term). I spend all day in front of an LCD screen (yes, I also work with a dark background and white text - it stresses less my eyes). In the end of the day my eyes fell, still, very, very stressed.

Last edited by nelsonescorcio; 02-10-2009 at 06:03 AM.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:39 AM   #38
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonescorcio View Post

I think it depends on the quality of the LCD screen. Mine has absolutely no glare at all. My work phone (a HTC something) has a glossy screen, which I find horrible to read from. But, as I don't have an e-ink device yet, I can't compare it to my LCD device
Old 02-10-2009, 06:39 AM   #39
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
I never understood why they'd make a kindle format in the first place. Especially as the Kindle is only available in the States, you block a lot of potential buyers. I read primarily English books, and have bought my share from Amazon.com. But I am not allowed anymore, because I don't want to buy pbooks but ebooks...
That is easy to understand. I think they did it so they would have full control over the format and be able to improve it. Since they can push an update of the reader they can change the format. With MobiPocket that would have been impossible from a support stand point.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:00 AM   #40
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Considering MobiPocket is owned by Amazon... Why two formats who are virtually the same?

And it still doesn't explain why I shouldn't be able to buy Kindle books, just because I don't have a Kindle. Yes, I'm miffed because there are plenty of books on Amazon, in Kindle format, that aren't available anywhere else...
Old 02-10-2009, 07:18 AM   #41
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
I'm 31. I have read for years on PDA backlit screen - but after an hour of too of looking at it my head starts to hurt. So I bought a Cybook.

I have a friend who can't read from LCD screens for the same reason, but, strangely enough, he can read for hours off CRT screen.

People are different, and I don't expect either CRT, LCD or eInk to go out of usage entirely.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:34 AM   #42
nelsonescorcio
Zealot

Quote:
Considering MobiPocket is owned by Amazon... Why two formats who are virtually the same?

And it still doesn't explain why I shouldn't be able to buy Kindle books, just because I don't have a Kindle. Yes, I'm miffed because there are plenty of books on Amazon, in Kindle format, that aren't available anywhere else...
Yes, this has always been an option very poorly (or not at all) explained.

And I really don't find it easy to understand: Amazon spent a lot of money on Mobipocket, and then decided to create a new format? WHY? They COULD control and do whatever they wanted to the mobi format. They could change it, use it, kill it.
But they just opted to let it live, quietly.
Why?

I am afraid they will eventually, rather sonner than later, kill the mobi by not offering real support anymore... In fact, I sometimes suspect it is already happening now - why doesn't Mobipocket Creator still supports Windows Vista? Why don't they upgrade it for such a long time now?

Maybe they just bought Mobipocket to eliminate it.

Oh well, maybe I am just seeing things...
Old 02-10-2009, 01:05 PM   #43
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:

I'd always thought it was because Mobipocket has an agreement with the vendors that license the format not to undercut them on price. If you buy books at mobipocket.com you will pay the highest price for them. It seems like Amazon could be in violation of this agreement if they sold their books as .mobi and offered reasonable discounts.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 01:43 PM   #44
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Kindle phone
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote