Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-02-2009, 04:49 PM   #1
etitameh
Enthusiast
etitameh doesn't litteretitameh doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
fictionwise 'secure' books for kindle?

okay, i'm sure this information is already present on these forums somewhere, but searching is just leading me in circles... what i'm trying to find out is this: can fictionwise 'secure' ebooks be read on the kindle? i know (well, i think i know) that the multiformat ones are perfectly fine on the kindle, as-is, but all the posts i'm finding seem to indicate that secure mobi fictionwise ebooks won't work on the kindle. some of them suggest using deDRM to get them to work, but (1) the posts aren't clear that that actually works, and (2) i have no experience with deDRM at all, and am hesitant to muck around with it.

i found a post from a little over a year ago stating that fictionwise was adding support for kindles, and a bunch of hits on a google of 'fictionwise kindle' at the same time, but replies to the post here seemed to indicate that there was a problem with the kindle ebooks, and that they were no longer available? maybe? sorry to be so clueless, i'm just trying to piece this together, and my brain is apparently even more foggy than usual!

thanks.
etitameh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 05:41 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by etitameh View Post
but all the posts i'm finding seem to indicate that secure mobi fictionwise ebooks won't work on the kindle. some of them suggest using deDRM to get them to work, but (1) the posts aren't clear that that actually works, and (2) i have no experience with deDRM at all, and am hesitant to muck around with it.
So, the answer is, without doing ANY drm removal NO. Is "used" to be yes. But that required running KindleFIX. However, the mobipocket encryption servers no longer accept a Kindle PID.

However, you can still buy secure Mobi books at booksonboard.com as long as you get the overdrive (OD) version. You will still have to run KindleFIX on it.

Now, kindle fix does NOT remove DRM. It just allows the mobibook to work on the Kindle. The mobi book is still encrypted using the Kindles PID which you can get with KindlePID scripts. See the Wiki Visual Kindle Guide for info on how to do all this.

That all said, if you are willing to remove DRM (it's really not that hard) you can buy the mobi secure ebook format at fictionwise or booksonboard (or others) and remove the DRM. Once the DRM is removed it will work fine on the kindle.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2009, 09:40 PM   #3
etitameh
Enthusiast

excellent, thanks for such a comprehensive answer! maybe when i've recovered a bit from holiday family visits, etc., i'll take a bash at figuring this stuff out.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:07 PM   #4
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
I buy .lit format and use c-lit to convert, then Mobipocket Creator to make them Kindle-readable. Quite slick once you've mastered the whole thing. You have to have MS Reader on your computer to dl, which can be a bit of a pain to get up and running.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 03:54 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
I buy .lit format and use c-lit to convert, then Mobipocket Creator to make them Kindle-readable. Quite slick once you've mastered the whole thing. You have to have MS Reader on your computer to dl, which can be a bit of a pain to get up and running.
That will work. But, buying mobi format is a bit easier since you don't need to do any conversion once you remove the drm since the Kindle will read nonDRM mobipocket books. Also, it will work on a Mac which you can not use to by LIT books with.

BOb
Advert
Old 01-06-2009, 03:57 PM   #6
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Is there a gui form of deDRM? That's the reason I went for the .lit approach, because I have an unreasoning phobia of command line programs.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 03:59 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
Is there a gui form of deDRM? That's the reason I went for the .lit approach, because I have an unreasoning phobia of command line programs.
Not that I know of. But, you need to get over your phobias. Perhaps there is someone you can talk to.

BOb
Old 01-09-2009, 10:25 AM   #8
etitameh
Enthusiast

i ended up not signing up for fictionwise, after all -- couldn't justify the money right now -- and it seems to have turned out for the best, given the thread in the news forum now about overdrive not supplying fictionwise anymore. i realize not all their titles will be affected, but at least some secure mobi ones will be, and that's one more hurdle i just don't want to mess with.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:43 AM   #9
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Not that I know of. But, you need to get over your phobias. Perhaps there is someone you can talk to.

BOb
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 10:49 AM   #10
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That will work. But, buying mobi format is a bit easier since you don't need to do any conversion once you remove the drm since the Kindle will read nonDRM mobipocket books.
One advantage of the LIT format when converting it to another format is that the extracted files are usually in a "cleaner" XHTML code than the code that was used to generate the MOBI file.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 02:34 PM   #11
beernutz
beernutz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
So, the answer is, without doing ANY drm removal NO. Is "used" to be yes. But that required running KindleFIX. However, the mobipocket encryption servers no longer accept a Kindle PID.

However, you can still buy secure Mobi books at booksonboard.com as long as you get the overdrive (OD) version. You will still have to run KindleFIX on it.

Now, kindle fix does NOT remove DRM. It just allows the mobibook to work on the Kindle. The mobi book is still encrypted using the Kindles PID which you can get with KindlePID scripts. See the Wiki Visual Kindle Guide for info on how to do all this.

That all said, if you are willing to remove DRM (it's really not that hard) you can buy the mobi secure ebook format at fictionwise or booksonboard (or others) and remove the DRM. Once the DRM is removed it will work fine on the kindle.

BOb
Ack, I wish I'd read this an hour ago before I paid $30 for a buywise membership, as I was hoping to use the Fictionwise lending library for my Kindle 2. Oh well, live and learn.
beernutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 02:58 PM   #12
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
You can still buy Fictionwise's Multiformat Mobipocket books. They work fine on the Kindle (no DRM). I've bought quite a few recently. I just got a Buywise club membership because they sent me a special offer, so that I got back 50% of the 1-year fee in Micropay rebates.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 04:39 PM   #13
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
Yea, I bought a few too, and no DRM makes them a lot better than most other books right of the bat.
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fictionwise, kindle