Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 06-26-2008, 09:48 AM   #1
jotheman
Sleeper.
jotheman began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Max2, Kinde Voyage, reMarkable, Dasung Paperlike Pro
Question A few questions

Hi,

I finally got my Hanlin (BeBook) today and I have a few questions:

- I am a Mac user and all those littel system files that Mac creates (files that start with ".") will appear in the file manager on the reader. Any way to prevent this?

- Can I delete files on the reader?

- Can I change the orientation of the 3rd zoom level? Would make more sense to me if it was turned 180 degrees.

- Why won't JPGs be displayed? Is there a limit for the size of the pictures or something like that.

Help is appreciated!

Thanks everyone,

jo.
jotheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 12:10 PM   #2
AlfonsVH
Addict
AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook Neo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotheman View Post
- I am a Mac user and all those littel system files that Mac creates (files that start with ".") will appear in the file manager on the reader. Any way to prevent this?
You can use the free utility Hidden Cleaner. I just put an alias to the application on my desktop, put the eBooks on my SD-card, and after I'm done I just drag the SD-card-icon over the Hidden Cleaner-alias, all hidden files are removed and the disk is ejected straight away.
Quote:
Only by using a computer, i.e. not from within the reader's interface.
Quote:
- Can I change the orientation of the 3rd zoom level? Would make more sense to me if it was turned 180 degrees.
Not that I know of. If the 3rd zoom level would be displayed in Portrait-mode, you'd only see a part of the page (you'd have to move horizontally and vertically as opposed to only vertically)
Quote:
- Why won't JPGs be displayed? Is there a limit for the size of the pictures or something like that.
I haven't had any problems with JPG's, so can't help with that one.
AlfonsVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2008, 01:58 PM   #3
jotheman
Sleeper.

Thanks a lot for your answer! I will take a look at the cleaner app.

For the third zoom level I meant to have landscape view, but 180 degrees turned from the way it is now. As it is now, you have to press "up" to actually scroll down, kinda strange. I also like to hold the reader in my left hand and the buttons are out of reach that way.

Cheers,

jo.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:30 PM   #4
AlfonsVH
Addict
AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
For the third zoom level I meant to have landscape view, but 180 degrees turned from the way it is now.
Oh, I didn't seem to have read your original question carefully enough, then
Can't help you there, sorry.
Quote:
As it is now, you have to press "up" to actually scroll down, kinda strange.
I emailed BeBook about this, and they told me that they chose to do it that way, so that the function of each button is consistent, regardless from page orientation.

In my opinion it would make sense indeed if they would enable a 180°-landscape-turn.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:37 PM   #5
pathfinderca
Connoisseur
pathfinderca began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V.2
Do you mean how to delete the already read files?

If you read chinese, here is the link to teach you how to delete the files on Hanlin:
http://www.mobread.com/bbs/viewthrea...extra=page%3D1

If you don't read chinese, leave a msg here and I will try to give you the English version of it.

Quote:
Hi,

I finally got my Hanlin (BeBook) today and I have a few questions:

Help is appreciated!

Thanks everyone,

jo.
pathfinderca is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2008, 03:07 PM   #6
Gudy
Wizard
Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux (623)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathfinderca View Post
If you read chinese, here is the link to teach you how to delete the files on Hanlin:
Eh? No. Unless Google's translation service is completely fucked up, that link explains how to delete the Recent Books virtual folder, while the device is connected to a computer. Which is a completely different beast.
Gudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 03:16 PM   #7
pathfinderca
Connoisseur
pathfinderca began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudy View Post
Eh? No. Unless Google's translation service is completely fucked up, that link explains how to delete the Recent Books virtual folder, while the device is connected to a computer. Which is a completely different beast.
Right. I thought that's what the guy wanted to know.
pathfinderca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 03:28 PM   #8
jotheman
Sleeper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathfinderca View Post

If you don't read chinese, leave a msg here and I will try to give you the English version of it.
I read Chinese and what it says is exactly what Gudy pointed out: how to delete the recently read files list. I would love to delete the files themselves after I have read them. But thanks anyway!

Last edited by jotheman; 06-27-2008 at 03:32 PM. Reason: emphasis
Old 06-27-2008, 03:56 PM   #9
AlfonsVH
Addict

Quote:
I read Chinese and what it says is exactly what Gudy pointed out: how to delete the recently read files list.
Heheh just wanted to post the same thing

.. man I can't wait for Mobipocket support
Old 06-30-2008, 02:58 PM   #10
mrdini
Connoisseur
mrdini doesn't littermrdini doesn't litter

Device: Hanlin V2 & V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfonsVH View Post
You can use the free utility Hidden Cleaner. I just put an alias to the application on my desktop, put the eBooks on my SD-card, and after I'm done I just drag the SD-card-icon over the Hidden Cleaner-alias, all hidden files are removed and the disk is ejected straight away.
If you're using Leopard, it might be better to use the CLI utility - "dot_clean"
http://www.macworld.com/article/1325...actor2504.html than a third-party utility.
mrdini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 11:54 PM   #11
AlfonsVH
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdini View Post
If you're using Leopard, it might be better to use the CLI utility - "dot_clean"
http://www.macworld.com/article/1325...actor2504.html than a third-party utility.
Oh, didn't know about that. Thanks for the tip!